2013 Mustang with SelectShift Automatic™ transmission

Funny5.0

Established Member
this. a dual clutch isn't even remotely the same as a standard manual, let alone a "shiftable" automatic whose only purpose is to get sales from gullible douchebags.

I love manual but I'd take a dual clutch trans over a manual any day!

Grant808

Established Member
Not sure where to start here.....

The 6R80 is an electronically controlled trans. It is not like a C4, C6, AOD where you are relying on something mechanical to take care of something for you.

I can guarantee you a tune will be able to fix the "manual" shift feature in the new SelectShift option. Give a tuner some time with access to the correct software (not SCT garbage) and it will be made so.

Start with knowing what actually happens in the tranny once the shift is electronically commanded. :rollseyes

wbt

Banned
Start with knowing what actually happens in the tranny once the shift is electronically commanded. :rollseyes

Lol.....

Let's talk this through.....

The transmission is controlled by the PCM which contains a set of shift schedules and parameters. When certain criteria are met, a command is sent to a SOLENOID in the transmission controlling the shift and that sets off another series of events.

Accessing and modifying the proper shift schedules and other various parameters will allow finer adjustments to be made such as when a shift is commanded/activated.

There is obviously some mechanical interaction that takes place that will induce some delay but we are talking fractions of a second. The processing speed of the PCM, along with parameters mentioned, has as much to do with delay and timing as anything mechanically related in the transmission as you imply where the bottleneck is.

That said, with the proper access to the needed tables, I would almost certainly lay money down that a tuner will come up with a more responsive SelectShift function.

Grant808

Established Member
I'll test drive one once they put the paddles on the steering wheel. Got those on my Edge (Sport), and I like using them once in a while...mostly to command a downshift or two. Once the aftermarket tuners get a hold of one of these cars, I'm sure it will be a nice feature to have on a GT or even the V6. I didn't really like the buttons on the shifter when I was test driving and Edge Limited...

Lol.....

The transmission is controlled by the PCM which contains a set of shift schedules and parameters. When certain criteria are met, a command is sent to a SOLENOID in the transmission controlling the shift and that sets off another series of events.

Accessing and modifying the proper shift schedules and other various parameters will allow finer adjustments to be made such as when a shift is commanded/activated.

There is obviously some mechanical interaction that takes place that will induce some delay but we are talking fractions of a second. The processing speed of the PCM, along with parameters mentioned, has as much to do with delay and timing as anything mechanically related in the transmission as you imply where the bottleneck is.

That said, with the proper access to the needed tables, I would almost certainly lay money down that a tuner will come up with a more responsive SelectShift function.

:) I understand all that, and without going into it, more. :poke: ...in my first post, I agree with you that tuners are certain to make it better. And now you understand that the shifts won't be 'instantaneous' as implied in your other responses. Others and I would still be sensitive to that delay. I think it could still make the cars fun, while others disagree. :beer:

kevinp

Established Member
Lol.....

Well yes and no, size of the passages in the solenoids, valve body, shafts passage size/sealing and line pressure all dictate the speed of a shift. Milliseconds add up. The 6R80 is a pretty simple and efficient auto, it will shift quicker than a lot of autos with non electronic valve bodies for sure. Its more than possible someone can make it shift quicker than stock, but it will never satisfy a die hard manual trans guy.

Hell even true DCT transmissions doesnt satisfy manual trans guys. There is certainly no better feeling than making that perfect 1/4 mile pass with a manual trans, or knowing exactly what gear you want to be in on a mountain road or road course with zero computer input - no tuned up select shift 6R80 is going to give you that same feeling. I'll wait and see, either way select shift wouldnt influence my decision between buying an auto or manual.

Users who are viewing this thread