2013 Mustang fog light retrofit project for a 2004 Cobra

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Title sums it up pretty well, I'm using another OEM part from some other car on my Cobra. Yay!

2013 Mustang GT's showed up on dealer floors a few years ago and yours truly noticed that they came with LED fog lights... cue the gears turning. Now, Ford wants something in the neighborhood of $500 for EACH fog light

Obviously that price isn't very easy to swallow. Thankfully a company called Starkey Products has take off lights. They also only want $230 for a new set, not bad. [ LINKY ]

I think we can get them for cheaper... hmm, seems they have a clearance section! Boom, same lights for $120 because they are 'blemished'. SOLD! [ LINKY ]

The blemish won't matter because I'm just after the LED and optic. Also, I wanted that nice weather proof plug for the back so I picked up this adapter harness. [ LINKY ]

So $120 for lights and $50 for the harness. We are obviously more than plug and play LED's at this point but half the price of an HID projector retrofit.

Pros
Instant on/ No warm up
Pure 5000k white output
Sharp Cutoff

Cons
Price
Lots of DIY Modification
Price lol

Now, on to the photos!

photo12.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo31.jpg

photo4.jpg

This next photo is without the optic on the front, it shows how important the optic really is.

photo51.jpg

Those sumbishes 'permasealed' the optic into the housing... this will be fun to get out.

photo13.jpg

Finally, here is the actual LED emitter, that little guy is putting out all of this light. Looking at it directly is like gazing at the sun lol

photo24.jpg

Baked the '13 fogs open to get the optic out(thanks for sealing them in Ford).

Before I baked them, took the cobra fogs off. Size comparison.
photo14.jpg

What's for dinner? Fog lights, Fog lights are for dinner.
photo23-1.jpg

Dat cutoff doe! Optic only output shot, these things are going to be sick!
photo33.jpg

Optic, Led/Board, heatsink and adapter harness ready to go for the Cobra lights.
photo41.jpg

Comparing the back of the '13's light and my Cobra light. I'm going to have to get creative with a dremel....
photo52.jpg

Got the holes cut out for the lens to poke through into the reflector.

image-2.jpg

In order to mount the lens I used a piece of PVC pipe cut to the shape of the back of the reflector bowl. That gave me a flat surface to mount the optic to. I will seal around it with black RTV to keep light from leaking out around it.

image-3.jpg

Almost there!

image-4.jpg

Got the hardware, not my favorite stuff, so I will improve this down the road. All I need to do is seal up everything and they are done. The car is at the exhaust shop currently, but I will have finished pics mounted in the bumper soon!

10269579_10201981822335766_6243757245313147574_n.jpg

10352751_10201981822815778_6568128894253598876_n.jpg

Finally done! They came out great! I'm super happy with the final result, the optic seems to have a clean and sharp output. The optic also is built to bounce light into the reflector bowl so that from a distance it looks stock! They are almost perfect. I will post output shots when it gets dark out, I was too excited not to share with you guys!

Photo from above the cutoff
IMG_2693.jpg

Photo from below the cutoff, bright!
IMG_2694.jpg

Looking good with the switchbacks in the headlights
IMG_2692.jpg

From a distance, looks stock to me!
IMG_2695.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm living in the UK currently, it wouldn't be feasible for all the shipping back and forth to do another set. That's why I put up how I did it.

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Here are some night time output shots.

Dat cutoff
IMG_2704.jpg

More cutoff sexiness
IMG_2706.jpg

You can see some color fringing, from an LED FOGLIGHT! crazy.
IMG_2707.jpg

This gives you an idea of how bright they are. Foglights only.
IMG_2709.jpg

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Wonder if it would be doable to just modify the bumper for the bigger housings and "plug and play" im not good with the technical stuff.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
i believe it would definitely be a good add...I think I'm going to buy me some of those fogs and harness now and figure out how I want to do it later...cause that's a damn deal and my night vision is not good.

Jefe

Established Member
Sorry for the bump, im not seeing any new threads and your instagram acct is loaded with projects! What switchbacks did you use?

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry for the bump, im not seeing any new threads and your instagram acct is loaded with projects! What switchbacks did you use?

I only post the threads after I'm done with the project for some reason. Lol

I used triton v3's. They are expensive, but so much brighter than anything I've seen.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Any panned out pics of the whole thing sealed up? Is that threaded rod used to adjust projection height? So does the harness plug into the 03/04 harness for operation? Seems like a good project to tackle.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
I just got mine in. I plan on doing this mod in the next few weeks. Let's see how it pans out.

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
great write up how much time and what temperature must it be baked?

Around 200* F for about 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it; I almost melted one of mine. I recommend checking on it often while it's in the oven.

Any panned out pics of the whole thing sealed up? Is that threaded rod used to adjust projection height? So does the harness plug into the 03/04 harness for operation? Seems like a good project to tackle.

No pics at the moment, sorry. The adjustment comes from the stock adjuster. The threaded bolts are just for the mounting of the LED/board to the reflector. Yes, the adapter harness is plug and play.

Excellent mod

Thanks!

Great job but I hate to do all that work.

Thank you! You could always outsource the labor to one of these headlight resto guys.

Users who are viewing this thread