2013 gt500 vs built 6.0 trans am

rwboring

Established Member
Nice runs!

I know there are different stages of traction control on the newer Shelbys. Forgive my ignorance if there is any, but how did you manage to spin all the way to third with traction control on??

Maybe he meant hitting the gears... I know at the track when hitting 2nd and 3rd I broke loose (in regular and sport modes)

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Bear in mind, even in less-than-decent air a '13 GT500 is ~125 mph car. I'd guess that unless the F-body is gutted out, it's a 1-teens car on motor?
My bone stock '13 went 7.8's 60-130, that's actually quicker than most C6 Z06's out there. They are a damn fast bone stock car from a roll.
S.

stangfreak

Established Member
I'll have to agree a built LS2 should be trapping 120+ and its lighter also so he should've taken the win or it should have been even in my opinion. Since I wasn't there I'll believe the OP's Story and just end this post with a good kill.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

so your saying the 2013 GT500 should have lost to a 120+mph car

stangfreak

Established Member
So based on the outcome of your races I draw 2 conclusions:

Your buddy does not know how to drive an automatic car.

or

Your buddy has a built and stalled 6.0 and runs 13s with it.

Either way it's pretty sad for that kid.

or the GT500 is a better car. ;-)

stangfreak

Established Member
you just upset the whole lsx crew on here. a factory car beating a built ls99909xyz motor that was designed by god. hehe

NA_Cobra

Established Member
you just upset the whole lsx crew on here. a factory car beating a built ls99909xyz motor that was designed by god. hehe

LOL, there is no way a built 6.0 A4 auto F-body that's making 440-450rwhp with the added weight from an LQ9 iron block and 9 bolt rear end going to even come close a stock '13 GT500 from a roll.

That T/A wouldn't even come near a stock C6Z.

LS2GTO

Established Member

Ain't noone upset here, the better car won for sure. Just don't think that a properly built H/C/I stalled f-body is going to lose by that much even to a 125+ trapping car. Will it keep up with a GT500? No. Should it get killed by 12+ car lengths? Not unless that car is running on 6 cylinders.

And if a built/stalled f-body (even with an extra 110lbs from the iron block) only traps in the high teens, again something is wrong with that vehicle.

stangfreak

Established Member
Ain't noone upset here, the better car won for sure. Just don't think that a properly built H/C/I stalled f-body is going to lose by that much even to a 125+ trapping car. Will it keep up with a GT500? No. Should it get killed by 12+ car lengths? Not unless that car is running on 6 cylinders.

And if a built/stalled f-body (even with an extra 110lbs from the iron block) only traps in the high teens, again something is wrong with that vehicle.

understood. Hey I have a lot of respect for ls motors. I think there awesome. Time's change. You have 5.0 coyote motors still only 302 cubic inches going 10's n/a. I believe someone went 9's.

I may be wrong on this also, but I learned with some car's, the trap speed doesn't tell the whole story. I remember few years back, a bolt on c6 z06 would give a whipple cobra or a kb cobra a run for its money. Most ts cobra's, a basic setup will trap 130-134 or 5. again basic setup, small blower. Now you get a c6z trapping less, and some of them stayed side by side or even walked away hard from the cobra. I know the vette is lighter and so on, but im going by the trap speed. Gearing, power curve, who knows. The new GT500, I compare it to the c6z when its racing from a roll. The 13 shelby from a roll is deadly

NA_Cobra

Established Member
understood. Hey I have a lot of respect for ls motors. I think there awesome. Time's change. You have 5.0 coyote motors still only 302 cubic inches going 10's n/a. I believe someone went 9's.

I may be wrong on this also, but I learned with some car's, the trap speed doesn't tell the whole story. I remember few years back, a bolt on c6 z06 would give a whipple cobra or a kb cobra a run for its money. Most ts cobra's, a basic setup will trap 130-134 or 5. again basic setup, small blower. Now you get a c6z trapping less, and some of them stayed side by side or even walked away hard from the cobra. I know the vette is lighter and so on, but im going by the trap speed. Gearing, power curve, who knows. The new GT500, I compare it to the c6z when its racing from a roll. The 13 shelby from a roll is deadly

I agree, Zs and '13 GT500s are deadly from a roll.

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member

if its stalled with a big cam, then it had to have at least 4.10 gearing which isnt great for roll racing in an A4. The TA probably would have had a better advantage from a dig.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah. Things don't add up but +1 for the kill and sportsmanship of your friend.

:shrug: I don't see why not.

It's a budget built Trans-AM with a stock bottom 6.0 rotating assembly and LQ9 iron block ~ 450rwhp and a 4spd Auto tranny, Nothing Special from a "roll" IMHO.

LS2GTO

Established Member
if its stalled with a big cam, then it had to have at least 4.10 gearing which isnt great for roll racing in an A4. The TA probably would have had a better advantage from a dig.

Autos with stalls don't need 4.10 gearing to get around. And a big stall makes an automatic much better from a roll simply because regardless of the speed you will always be right in the meaty part of the power curve due to the higher flash.

It's a budget built Trans-AM with a stock bottom 6.0 rotating assembly and LQ9 iron block ~ 450rwhp and a 4spd Auto tranny, Nothing Special from a "roll" IMHO.

What exactly is done to the TA since you seem to know the car? When the OP mentioned a "built 6.0 with big cam heads and stall" it sounded like an all out race engine. If it's a budget build with ported OEM parts then it makes more sense vs. a completely built engine aka forged high compression aftermarket heads intake etc.

saleensonoma

Established Member
plus u gotta love a good shake down run for both cars but a fresh built car can be ur worst enemy. I agree with na cobra personally but thats just an opinion. Opinions are like a**h***s everyones got one.

Even from a dig the ta could be a handful for the fresh driver and not knowin what to expect from the car

Users who are viewing this thread