2013 GT500 Track/Perf Package vs. 2013 Boss LS - Primarily for Road Racing Ability?

Which would you choose for Road Racing Ability?

• 2013 GT 500 with Perf/Track Package

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Votes: 74 69.8%

• Total voters

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
If it only costs $100 to add brake ducts, kind of begs the question why Ford missed this?
actually, the more important question is why is there only one magazine comparison reporting horrible god awful brake fade out of, what, 7 or 8 other reviews/comparisons? in fact, there are a number of these other reviews/comparisons that are in fact saying that the shelby's brakes were "fade free" over the course of an entire day of tracking.

Van@RevanRacing

actually, the more important question is why is there only one magazine comparison reporting horrible god awful brake fade out of, what, 7 or 8 other reviews/comparisons? in fact, there are a number of these other reviews/comparisons that are in fact saying that the shelby's brakes were "fade free" over the course of an entire day of tracking.

After having my car in the air prior to Sebring and Homestead I was looking around for a place to put brake ducts...............:shrug:

I've got some ideas but it's going to take some custom molded plastic or aluminum so as not to interfere with any of the cooling systems Ford engineered on the car.

Notably wasn't shown or discussed in the 5.0 Article. There are additional holes on the bottom side of the front bumper that pick up additional air flow to the heat exchanger. Having worked on these cars since 2006 when they first hit the market I can honestly say that Ford put everything together for cooling but left the after market with the challenge for brake ducts for heavy road course use. The rear brake lines are also different than any other year.

This is where the fun starts! :rockon:

modernbeat

Jason at Vorshlag
Established Member
Van, we were able to squeeze brake ducts into our 2011 GT without falling foul of a ruleset that didn't allow us to move, remove or cut anything except the front fascia or backing plates.
We ended up running them from the CS fascia through the rectangular slot at the bottom inner corner of the wheelwell liner.

DSC8516-S.jpg

Here's the installed photo and the forum entry on the install.

Vorshlag Motorsports Forum - View Single Post - Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build

DSC0234-S.jpg

Van@RevanRacing

Van, we were able to squeeze brake ducts into our 2011 GT without falling foul of a ruleset that didn't allow us to move, remove or cut anything except the front fascia or backing plates.
We ended up running them from the CS fascia through the rectangular slot at the bottom inner corner of the wheelwell liner.

DSC8516-S.jpg

Here's the installed photo and the forum entry on the install.

Vorshlag Motorsports Forum - View Single Post - Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build

DSC0234-S.jpg

Thanks Jason. Yep, considering something like that as well. The routing of many of the new cooling systems on the GT500 Track Pack are placed in some peculiar locations but nothing that can't be worked around. :beer:

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
Be careful about securing a brake duct system like that. I saw a video from Buttonwillow where someone went clear off the track because their front brakes failed when that tubing got caught and ripped out the brake lines.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
After having my car in the air prior to Sebring and Homestead I was looking around for a place to put brake ducts...............:shrug:

I've got some ideas but it's going to take some custom molded plastic or aluminum so as not to interfere with any of the cooling systems Ford engineered on the car.

Notably wasn't shown or discussed in the 5.0 Article. There are additional holes on the bottom side of the front bumper that pick up additional air flow to the heat exchanger. Having worked on these cars since 2006 when they first hit the market I can honestly say that Ford put everything together for cooling but left the after market with the challenge for brake ducts for heavy road course use. The rear brake lines are also different than any other year.

This is where the fun starts! :rockon:
keep in mind that the track pack originally came with brake cooling in place of the lower fog lights, so that's probably why you aren't seeing any other provisions for it like on the previous GT500s. they cut it right before production for some reason, likely to save a few pennies i'd imagine, but that's too bad they did.

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member
Hello Van, I have been to Sebring a few times at the end of last years Chin events with my '07 white/silver ShelbyGT. I am looking forward to this winters events there as well and will have my 13Gt500 by then. Are you an instructor at Chins events at Sebring? I may bring my ShelbyGT since it is set up for the track but maybe both if I can switch cars. Well hope to see you there!

Silver TT

Established Member
If you guys were going to put a blower on the Boss 302 would you suggest a Vortech / Centrifugal or Whipple / Twin Screw style? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I am thinking the Vortech higher RPM power delivery might be better for a road racing track but curious in opinions of those who have experience with both or are road racing gurus. Also concerned about respective heat levels and if one is safer given similar power levels.

Van@RevanRacing

Hello Van, I have been to Sebring a few times at the end of last years Chin events with my '07 white/silver ShelbyGT. I am looking forward to this winters events there as well and will have my 13Gt500 by then. Are you an instructor at Chins events at Sebring? I may bring my ShelbyGT since it is set up for the track but maybe both if I can switch cars. Well hope to see you there!

I have met the owner of Chin at Daytona and wanted to discuss instructing with them but my time is wrapped up with NASA and other groups. I'll probably instruct with Chin in the future if I meet him again at Daytona in December with Audi Club of North America where I'm one of the lead instructors and run grid.

October with NASA at Sebring is coming up soon too! :beer:

Van@RevanRacing

Funny this old thread popped back up. I instructed Tony "The Bull" at Sebring this weekend in his Boss 302. He's got some Hoosier R6 tires on it and he needed a little nudge to see what the car can handle. So i got about eight laps to illustrate the line. Other than the fact I felt like I was shifting a VW from 4th to 5th (max RPM is 6500 or it won't go) we were hauling some serious arss. Perspective: I've turned a 2:28 on OEM Goodyears at Sebring with the OEM supercharger. With Tony as a passenger on the third or fourth lap I clipped off a 2:35 on R compound tires.

I think the Boss is easily good for a low 2:30 with some seat time on the R Compound tires and I think my GT500 would be good for a 2:26 possibly lower with some R compound Hoosier R6's.

Suffice to say I would be lying if I have not perused the used section online for a Boss 302 or even a 302S. That friggin car rocks the road course.

I'd like to get in a 302S and mix it up with Bruce Cameron in some AI events. Due time. Due time.

Users who are viewing this thread