2013 gt500 intercooler pump help!!

Shelbanator

Established Member
Ok so i got my gt500 recently dyno tuned but seems to feel very hot when i check the intercooler reservoir is there anyway of knowing if the pump is working or not? I jumped it and heard the pump crank on but saw no movement in the coolant and i checked my buddies 2011 and his was splashing all over the damn place are 2013 different? and crank on wot??:shrug::shrug:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Most of the coolant flow bypass's the reservoir in a 2013/14, so you won't see much movement. Make sure the connector on the pump is plugged in.

P1260201-2_zpsdd8c0e9d.gif

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you want to check the pump, pull the Charge Air Cooler Pump Relay and place a jumper between connectors 3 & 5, the pump should run.

Charge Air Cooler Pump Wiring Diagram.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
After rereading you first post, I noticed that you said the reservoir was hot. If it is hot, something is heating up the water, so my guess is the pump is working.

Shelbanator

Established Member
Ya i will definetly try to bleed the system..as you can see i am trying many things to avoid purchasing a new one as there pretty darn expensive

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
As Snoopy said, the 13/14 have a bypass behind the intercooler tank, hence you don't see any movement. The 07-12 have the water going through the reservoir, that's why you see it splashing there.

LEXiiON

pipe1.jpg

Last edited:

Shelbanator

Established Member
Got ya well that should explain everything :bowdown: .. i was just curios about the movement of the waterflow as i did not want to damage anything

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
It is scary though because I had a pump shaft break before. The pump was turning, but the actual impeller wasn't moving. Broke my motor because of this and detonation.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Ok so i got my gt500 recently dyno tuned but seems to feel very hot when i check the intercooler reservoir is there anyway of knowing if the pump is working or not? I jumped it and heard the pump crank on but saw no movement in the coolant and i checked my buddies 2011 and his was splashing all over the damn place are 2013 different? and crank on wot??:shrug::shrug:

I was just going to ask the same thing.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
It is scary though because I had a pump shaft break before. The pump was turning, but the actual impeller wasn't moving. Broke my motor because of this and detonation.

You'd think it would throw a code if the IAT2 gets too hot. Does anyone know what the temp difference should be between IAT2 and IAT1? For instance, if I'm seeing 90 degrees at IAT1 while driving, what should the IAT2 temp be?

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is from the 2014 Mustang Service Manual. It explains the IATs but doesn't mention temps.

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
The IAT sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases, and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow. Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in a series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

The IAT sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses the air temperature information as a correction factor in the calculation of fuel, spark, and airflow.

The IAT sensor provides a quicker temperature change response time than the ECT or CHT sensor.

Currently there are 2 types of IAT sensors used, a stand alone and an integrated type. Both types function the same, however the integrated type is incorporated into the mass airflow (MAF) sensor or the turbocharger intake pressure and temperature (TCIPT) sensor instead of being a stand alone sensor.

Supercharged vehicles use 2 IAT sensors. Both sensors are thermistor type devices and operate as described above. One is located before the supercharger at the air cleaner for standard OBD and cold weather input, while the second sensor, intake air temperature 2 (IAT2), is located after the supercharger in the intake manifold. The IAT2 sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM to control spark and to help determine CAC efficiency.

The IAT2 sensor is centrally located on the intake manifold and is used to measure the intake manifold temperature. The PCM uses the information from the IAT2 sensor to determine the air charge and provide input for various engine control functions. The IAT2 sensor is integrated with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
This is from the 2014 Mustang Service Manual. It explains the IATs but doesn't mention temps.
Yeah, I find it vague. Doesnt really tell you what the normal range should be and what happens when you get to higher temperatures. The only way to see the IAT2 is with a tuner or ngage. It seems thats the most usable number. The IAT1 is more of a fluff number.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The best guy to answer this question is the man himself, BJ at VMP. I would give him a call and see what he has to say on the subject.
321-206-9369

Users who are viewing this thread