2013 GT500 black upper pulley?

Shhhh

Established Member
Is there any company out there that makes a black upper pulley? I know you get more torque out of a lower so im not looking for a debate. Just wondering if there are any available or when they will be.
Thanks in advance :beer:

13GT500SG

Established Member
Also... i purchased a 10% lower. Would it raise my boos more if i throw an upper as well?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Hit up Van from Revan Racing and he'll get you everything you need. Upper pullies have always been the typical first mod for GT500's. The size of the pulley is what determines the amount of boost you end up with, the smaller it is, the more boost you'll have.
The lowers will increase boost, but most of the time they really shine on the torque side of things more than HP. You will need a tune with either and you will probably want to get rid of the resonator to maximize air flow.
Either way, adding a pulley to a GT500, even before the TVS, has always been a huge difference maker and will really change the cars power across the entire band.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I see 14-15 psi with just the upper and will say with a lower also the car will become useless on street tires below 60-70 mph.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I see 14-15 psi with just the upper and will say with a lower also the car will become useless on street tires below 60-70 mph.

"Useless" is a relative term and I can think of hundred different uses for that extra power :burnout: :rockon:

Shhhh

Established Member
I do appreciate all the extra info but does anyone know if anyone makes a black one? I know the upper vs lower argument and what a smaller pulley does ect. Including my car is already modded with a tune so I dont care about the warranty side of the argument either. Just want to know if there is an all black upper pulley.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
The lowers will increase boost, but most of the time they really shine on the torque side of things more than HP.

How does a lower add more torque than an upper? 2 lbs of extra boost from an upper or lower pulley should not affect torque/power differently. The blower does not know where the extra blower speed (boost psi) comes from.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
How does a lower add more torque than an upper? 2 lbs of extra boost from an upper or lower pulley should not affect torque/power differently. The blower does not know where the extra blower speed (boost psi) comes from.

I'm no physicist, but you can go ahead and check into it in the GT500 threads and you'll find out that that is exactly what it does. My bet is it's probably due to less belt slip from a larger surface area and a faster acceleration rate to peak boost.

Shhhh, I told you in my first response where to get your pulley. Van at Revan Racing has what you need. He sells pullies that fit the TVS in various sizes and I've never seen one that wasn't black.

Shhhh

Established Member
I'm no physicist, but you can go ahead and check into it in the GT500 threads and you'll find out that that is exactly what it does. My bet is it's probably due to less belt slip from a larger surface area and a faster acceleration rate to peak boost.

Shhhh, I told you in my first response where to get your pulley. Van at Revan Racing has what you need. He sells pullies that fit the TVS in various sizes and I've never seen one that wasn't black.

I sent him a message but he doesnt have any listed on his website. I can find a million black ones for '07-'12s but not for the '13s. Hopefully hes got what I need.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah he's got what you need. Just look for TVS pullies, that's what you need. I'd give him a call, he's busy but always answers his phone. He may not get to a message on here as quickly.

Shhhh

Established Member
Yeah he's got what you need. Just look for TVS pullies, that's what you need. I'd give him a call, he's busy but always answers his phone. He may not get to a message on here as quickly.

Just heard back from him and he is working on getting black ones made. Hopefully it wont be too long. I hate the polished look they have out for the '13s now.

rdsnk46

Established Member
The lower reduces paracitic drag thus free's up TQ, for those who may not understand the reason behind the TQ increase.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just heard back from him and he is working on getting black ones made. Hopefully it wont be too long. I hate the polished look they have out for the '13s now.

Ohhhhh you meant flat black, my bad. I wasn't even thinking that the current ones were gloss black.

91svtbird

Established Member
I don't know what others got from just the upper but I'm running a 2.4 upper & 10% lower and got 17.7 boost almost across the board.

FYI your blower is spinning @ 22,604 rpms @ 7000 engine rpm. That is 2,600 rpm past it's limit for making power according to the TVS compressor map. See below.

23compressormap.jpg

Last edited:

blackshelby

The lower reduces paracitic drag thus free's up TQ, for those who may not understand the reason behind the TQ increase.

please explain......

A larger lower pulley will increase belt surface which in theory will increase parasitic drag.
If you are saying that because of weight ,(which really is not drag) the stock pulley and the OD pulley are just about the same.

I feel the lower pulley is a better option, which allows you to run a larger upper pulley.
More belt surface to be able to do work which = less belt slippage which = more airflow.

A smaller pulley on the upper makes less power for one reason ( belt slippage) The belt does not have enough surface area to hold the workload.

Airflow is power
If all being equal blower speed (no matter what pulleys are used ) power and torque would be the same.

When using anything smaller then a 2.65 upper , there really is not enough surface area to handle the work.
Yes some swear their belt is not slipping with the small upper but if data logged going down the track and looking at what it does when shifting they would see a whole new picture .(one dyno pull will not show the full picture)

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
please explain......

A larger lower pulley will increase belt surface which in theory will increase parasitic drag.
If you are saying that because of weight ,(which really is not drag) the stock pulley and the OD pulley are just about the same.

I feel the lower pulley is a better option, which allows you to run a larger upper pulley.
More belt surface to be able to do work which = less belt slippage which = more airflow.

A smaller pulley on the upper makes less power for one reason ( belt slippage) The belt does not have enough surface area to hold the workload.

Airflow is power
If all being equal blower speed (no matter what pulleys are used ) power and torque would be the same.

When using anything smaller then a 2.65 upper , there really is not enough surface area to handle the work.
Yes some swear their belt is not slipping with the small upper but if data logged going down the track and looking at what it does when shifting they would see a whole new picture .(one dyno pull will not show the full picture)
Dont they make aftermarket idlers that increase belt wrap on the snout? I had a metco when I ran the stock blower on my 500 with no belt slip(small upper). I also had one for my Whipple 3.4 from metco but never ran a small enough pulley up top to warrant it's use.

The lower
Lighter rotating mass, close in weight but enough to make a difference. Your gaining power due to the boost pressure increase but also gaining extra TQ due to the weight. The parasitic drag is going to be mainly from power robbing items like the blower, alt. water pump......but your a huge mustang shop guy....no? You know this already!

The difference in the belt wrap on the lower is going to be minimal at best.

Users who are viewing this thread