2013 5.0 vs 2012 GS vette

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
2013 5.0 vs 2012 GS vette **update #3**=

Raced my buddy last night in his stock GS vette and the outcome doesnt really make sense. Maybe i just didnt know how close it could be

we were doing about 65ish and we both decided to do a 4th gear pull, honked it off and went to about 105 maybe(traffic) and i managed about 1 1/2 cars.

I thought for sure he would have gotten me, I know the GS's are the heaviest coming in around 33xx and my buddy is a big dude, 6'4" 315 and had about 3/4 gas in the tank. STOCK they come with 3.42's

My car was damn near on empty, I weigh about 170, 3.31 and a kooks X pipe...otherwise stock no tune

shouldnt he have still beat me?:bs:

just want to hear some opinions.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Off the top of my head, the 1st thing comes to mind is gearing. I think the vette will have a 1:1 ratio on his transmission gearing and you don't, sort of like you being in his 3rd gear. If true that would be a huge advantage for you. Is there a reason you didn't both just pick a gear appropriate for the mph being ran?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Off the top of my head, the 1st thing comes to mind is gearing. I think the vette will have a 1:1 ratio on his transmission gearing and you don't, sort of like you being in his 3rd gear. If true that would be a huge advantage for you. Is there a reason you didn't both just pick a gear appropriate for the mph being ran?

well it was his idea to run 4th, but i know we both could have been in 3rd.

It was pretty cold and SA has very shitty roads, maybe i think he said that for traction issues.

Yeah i believe GS vettes are 1:1 in 4th, your right about that hmmm

HandBanana

Established Member
MT Vette then I guess? Hmm...this is surprising. I had some 16 year old little shit try to dick with me on the highway in his dad's GS Vette(license plate frame said WVU Alumni) and I figured it wasn't even worth his gas to walk on me. Damnit...

Nice kill. 5.0s own all.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Fat dude lost the race...likely you outdrove him? Also how long was the race as going to 105mph usually isn't a long race?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
MT Vette then I guess? Hmm...this is surprising. I had some 16 year old little shit try to dick with me on the highway in his dad's GS Vette(license plate frame said WVU Alumni) and I figured it wasn't even worth his gas to walk on me. Damnit...

Nice kill. 5.0s own all.

Fat dude lost the race...likely you outdrove him? Also how long was the race as going to 105mph usually isn't a long race?

yea it was an MT GS

we stayed in 4th the whole time. I think it just boils donw to bad gear bad mph and the weight

blackvette101

Established Member
A corvette grand sport doing a 4th gear pull from 65-105 mph is starting at 2800 rpm and ending at 4500 rpm. im surprised you didn't pull harder. That rpm range is stupid. He should be starting at 4500 rpm.

It reminds me of one of my customers that refuses to shift his 2010 C6 LS3 above 5500 rpm. And he can't seem to understand how he loses to stock challenger RT's.

a stock tire 5.0 w/ 3.31 is going to go from 3600-5700 rpm in that speed range.

Last edited:

ttk53

Established Member
A corvette grand sport doing a 4th gear pull from 65-105 mph is starting at 2800 rpm and ending at 4500 rpm. im surprised you didn't pull harder. That rpm range is stupid.

It reminds me of one of my customers that refuses to shift his 2010 C6 LS3 above 5500 rpm. And he can't seem to understand how he loses to stock challenger RT's.

THIS

GS could have started in 2nd, My buddys GS went 11.88 with just a Drag radial.

then went 10.9 with a cam and headers

02grasssnake

Established Member
A corvette grand sport doing a 4th gear pull from 65-105 mph is starting at 2800 rpm and ending at 4500 rpm. im surprised you didn't pull harder. That rpm range is stupid. He should be starting at 4500 rpm.

Lmao! That's a 7000 rpm car. Hell in my 01obra swapped gt I turn it to 6800. It makes no power after that. At 60 I'm in 2nd. IF YOUR SCARED GO TO CHURCH!!!!

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

this is dead on.

once the weather clears up we are gonna right, im sure even with his weight he will still get me

phatman

Established Member
to give you an idea, my buddy has a Kenny Bell 2.8 04 Cobra. I have an 11 CTS-V with every bolt on and run 11.1 @126. We raced multiple times and I put half car on him. Each race we began at 40. I asked him what gear he was in and he said 3rd. I laugh and said try 2nd gear. We lined up and on three, he jumped a car in half, then jumped another car. Needless to say he beat me pretty bad. Gearing is everything in roll races. I knew I couldn't beat his car if driven properly.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
The GS shouldn't be in fourth gear at anything under 100 mph or so. 65 mph is right around where he should be shifting from second to third if racing.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
This reminds me of the guys that raced 4th gear pulls because "it's like a dyno and accurately compares the power of both cars". Wut?

dead man walkin

Established Member
Yeah it was gearing.. but I'm going to throw something in here. . In texas every summer the have legal 1/8 mile drag races at Texas motor speedway, and in the v8 class the best races are mustang vs corvettes, eighth mile.. light to light.. stock v8 class. Drivers race

Users who are viewing this thread