2013 5.0 Build Thread - VORTECH/FORGESTAR/APR Widebody/KW V3 Coilovers and much more

naeem5oh

Established Member
that feeling of looking at ur car for the first time with coilovers... feels good. but be ware... u will scrape everywhere!!!!

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Great stance man! Can't wait to see some more profile shots to she how it really sits from front to back.

I'll have more pictures for you soon. I took one this morning, but it didn't come out right... It's dark so I'll try to get a few tomorrow!

nice setup. waiting to hear back on how this beast handles.

Absolutely insane. I actually updated Post#1 on my thoughts about how it handles... Once we get this beast on the track, I'm sure we wouldn't have any problems ;)

Looks killer!

Looks 100% better now. No more 4x4 look.

Car looks killer! The stance is perfect.

Thanks guys! :beer:

you CAN'T beat K&W V3's.

You really can't... I had a set of KW V2's on my previous car, and honestly, the V3's are worth the price difference.

Love it. I am anxious to hear how noisy that UCA is though.

Not terrible. Even if the radio is just barely on you can't hear it that bad. If the windows are open, you can't hear it. It's like having a noisy fuel pump, it's not terrible at all, and I think getting rid of wheel hop way outweighs the downsides of just a little noise.

Great pictures man. I would love to do those coils myself.

And the picture of the Vertical Epic is awesome. Have you had the others? I've got 09 through 12

I haven't actually, unfortunately this was the first year that I heard that Stone did their series of beers. Luckily, my grocery store is now deciding to stock good beers.

Are you worried about NVH with that spherical bushing in that UCA?

Nope. As I mentioned before, the benefit of the lack of wheel hop completely, outweighs the fact that there's a bit of noise. Honestly though with flowmaster outlaws on it, I can't hear much over those anyway.

I love it!!!! Looks great!

Looks awesome man! And that epic ale is great - had it on tap last week.

I'd love to have it on tap, good stuff. :rockon:

that feeling of looking at ur car for the first time with coilovers... feels good. but be ware... u will scrape everywhere!!!!

I didn't have much of any worry with that, despite by driveway being terrible because of how steep it is, I've had lowered cars for the last decade, all of which were lower than this, so we're all good for now, but it will need to be raised once a front lip goes on.

as said, awesome stance! some nice parts you installed

slow and angle! lol

Haha, thanks guys!

paulwalll

Established Member
When your suspension is in full droop, is there still tension on the springs? I ask because i have ground control coilovers and at full droop, my springs have no tension on them and are free too move around.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
When your suspension is in full droop, is there still tension on the springs? I ask because i have ground control coilovers and at full droop, my springs have no tension on them and are free too move around.

Yes they do. Not a ton, but they do. Ground Controls have smaller springs than KW, and likely no helper spring on the fronts too right? Just design differences, and honestly it makes no difference when the weight gets put on. I used to have a car that when on the lift, the springs and the spring perch on the top were actually not touching, because the springs were so small in height.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Are you considering a watts link in the future?

Likely yes. I just didn't want to buy it close to the same time I bought the panhard bar. Wife would see it in the garage and ask me why I bought a part that was x amount of dollars that I didn't use for that long. So I'm concentrating on a few other things before I do anything else, sway bars specifically along with a few other things here and there.

ForgotMyUsrname

Established Member
They sent me coils for the Shelby which look identical. Ill have to inquire as to what the differences are, if any.

az20115.0

Established Member
Yes they do. Not a ton, but they do. Ground Controls have smaller springs than KW, and likely no helper spring on the fronts too right? Just design differences, and honestly it makes no difference when the weight gets put on. I used to have a car that when on the lift, the springs and the spring perch on the top were actually not touching, because the springs were so small in height.

Great Thread!!! Just purchased a set of KW V3 for my 11 5.0, after much much internal debate!
Can't wait to get them!!!!! I already have a panhard bar... but need all the rest

Question: Do you need LCA relocation brackets if you are planning to run an aggressive drop??

Sounds like Hotchkins is a good way to go for supporting parts..

Also, A.M. has a set of eibach front and rear sways bar package on sale for $364.. Sounds like a good deal. Any imputs???

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Looks awesome!! I like the color of the car too..:)

-Garrett

Thanks!! Much appreciated :)

Great Thread!!! Just purchased a set of KW V3 for my 11 5.0, after much much internal debate!
Can't wait to get them!!!!! I already have a panhard bar... but need all the rest

Question: Do you need LCA relocation brackets if you are planning to run an aggressive drop??

Sounds like Hotchkins is a good way to go for supporting parts..

Also, A.M. has a set of eibach front and rear sways bar package on sale for $364.. Sounds like a good deal. Any imputs???

I didn't use the relocation brackets, but I will be adding a few more parts coming up to my suspension very soon, once I come back from my honeymoon. KW V3's are excellent, but I road race quite often, and the spring rates are too soft for me, so I'll be upgrading them soon, so stay tuned, I'll update the thread once that comes along.

Eibach is a really good company, I've got a good source for them if you want to PM me :)

I wonder why the rears are not a true coilover setup even in the V3s?

True coilover rears need reinforcement. Back in my M3 days if you had a true coilover rear with too high of a spring rate, you'll bust right through the rear shock mounts. I'm sure something similar will happen, but I haven't gone that far to look into it.

Dave_6

Established Member
My Cortex are a true setup. It just requires a $20 adapter for the rear shock mounts.

The new 5.0 mag I got today has a good article on the complete Cortex setup and it looks ace. If I had the funds I would have it or the KW setup on mine!

Users who are viewing this thread