2013 5.0 and the 8.8

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Need some feed back from the 8.8 rear end goro's out there.
I pretty much trashed the rear end in my 2013 at the track. The pion seal blew and the car was driven dry for about an hour.
The seal was replaced and the fluids topped off. Wasn't long after the rear end went to s$&t.
So far the stock ds, ring and pinion, pinion bearings, pinion nut, pinion flange, pass side axle, pass side axle (wheel) bearing and seal have all been replaced.
I'm not sure if the carrier bearings have been replaced or not? Ford did the ds and ring/pinion. I did the rest. Driver side axle and bearings are good too. The pattern on the ring gear looks good and so does the backlash (I re checked this when I pulled the passagen side axle). The spiders and diff pin also look good. No slop in the spiders and no clunking wile driving (tip in).
I'm still getting a noise on decel and a clicking noise every time I press the clutch in to shift. The noise on decel is a pulsing noise more than a howling noise.
What else could be jacked up? This is driving me insane!!

BMR Tech

"Clicking" on decel/accel (change in load on drive train) may not always be related to a damaged or failed drivetrain component.

Do you have rod-ends on your control arms? Are you using an aftermarket UCA and mount?

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Suspension is a UPR adj upper control arm with poly bushing and there hd mount, j&m adj pan hard with poly bushings, 1.5inch lower springs, and koni's. stock lower control arms. I did have UPR lower ca's with poly bushings but recently removed them.
The noise on decel is more of a pulsing sound that is most noticeable when moving slowly. Say 1st gear in a parking lot. The rear end made the same noises BEFORE the parts were replaced.
There is no noise on accel or decel when on the highway or cruising at any speed above like 30 mph. There is no vibrations at any speed.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
I'm thinking the carrier bearings weren't replaced and are burned up from being driven with no oil? What else could it be?

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Ill check the torque on the UPR upper and mount. I need to adjust my pinion angle a bit more too. Rite now the pinion is -2deg in relation to back half of the stock 2 piece ds

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
After being checked out by another shop it appears in have clutch or transmision problems? Or both? Wouldn't have it any other way

h4cHi

Established Member
after replacing my UCA and LCA last week that clunk you were hearing is the control arm smacking the iron casting behind the control arm, a simple prybar to move the 1/4" casting does the trick to take that sound out ;)

BMR Tech

after replacing my UCA and LCA last week that clunk you were hearing is the control arm smacking the iron casting behind the control arm, a simple prybar to move the 1/4" casting does the trick to take that sound out ;)

What brand?

DD2013 5.0

Established Member

Huh? 1/4" casting? Are you referring to the lower control arms?? ? I have the stock lower control arms still in. I have a UPR adj upper with there hd mount. The clunking I'm getting is definitely IN the rear end. To much ring and pinion backlash I'm thinking? The car is going to a different dealer Monday who is A LOT more lenient to mods. The pinion seal lasted a total of 2 days. It's leaking about a half a qrt of oil a day. They said none of the mods I have done should have any effect on the rear end.
At this point I have a lemon for sure

Users who are viewing this thread