2012 Super Snake to be Unveiled at New York Auto Show

barstoolman

Established Member
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- An 800-horsepower version of the Ford Mustang will be unveiled at the New York Auto Show later this month.

The 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake will be built by Shelby American Inc., a Las Vegas-based performance car company. Shelby works with Ford Motor Co. to create various high-performance versions of the iconic Mustang.
MORE AT CNNMONEY.COM

While the base Super Snake will produce a mere 750 horsepower, those who feel the need for more power will be able to add an optional upgrade package that will provide 50 more. Shelby provides no warranty on the engine and transmission, in either case.

The base version of the outgoing 2011 Super Snake produces 630 horsepower, although no-warranty option packages have been available in recent months to push horsepower in those cars up to as much as 800, as well.

The 2012 Super Snake will be legal to drive on public roads on all 50 states, the carmaker promised, and it will cost less than $100,000.

Prices for the 2011 Super Snake start about $80,000 in total, including the separate purchase of a car from Ford -- a factory-produced Shelby GT500 -- and the necessary modifications.

"Shelby American has a rich history at the New York International Auto Show," said John Luft, president of Shelby American. in an announcement. "The very first Shelby car was introduced there in 1962, as well as the 1968 and 2008 Shelby GT500KR and the 2006 Shelby Hertz GT-H."

The original partnership between Ford and Shelby American founder Carroll Shelby, one that resulted in Mustang-based performance cars that can be worth millions of dollars today, ended in 1969. Ford and Shelby entered into a new agreement in 2003 that has produced a new line of Shelby Mustangs, some built by Ford Motor Co. and others built at the Shelby American factory.

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
For 100k i can get much better cars and faster then 800hp shelby MUSTANG. lol what a joke

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The 2012 Super Snake will be legal to drive on public roads on all 50 states

The only matter of interest. It'll be interesting to see who's tune gets the Executive Order and what additional components are used to take it over 750...

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
800hp, I wonder if that'll be 275s in the rear. We need to cease fire on the hp war until we win the traction battle.

BigDan

Established Member
^ Its not that hard to to go to your local tire shop and get some better tires to better suit your needs have it be a DR for the strip, something that can pull 1g of grip at the track or an all season to keep you on the road in less then ideal conditions. I don't think its gonna break the bank of said SS owner to personalize his car with the sort of tires he wants and there is a wide selection of tires for the 20x10 Alcoa's. People act like its a new camaro where everything out back has to go to hook up 800hp, all the 2012 SS needs is a different rubber compound and its problem solved.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
give me hp any day over traction

I can add traction much cheaper and easier than adding a set of rear tires lol

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Oh sorry, I didn't mean in that regard. If there's one community of owners that actually knows how to tweak their cars for perf, it's the stang crowd, at least from my view of it since 1987.

I mean in perf #'s in comparos. You know the ole, compare a 350hp euro trash to the 800hp SS, and they record the same ET, and the reviews are, "well they added more and more hp, still no faster than before" blah blah blah.

Personally, I'm with ya, give me factory warranted HP, all you got, I personalize my wheels always, so it's all good. Just in terms of the irritating marketing reviews and rag-mags. If Ford, or Shelby, could offer a "real" performance wheel/tire combo that would be considered a factory option, with real traction ability, the factory #'s would shut those rag writers up ... maybe. But year personally, if given the option of a traction pkg of wheels/tires, or 100hp more, I'd opt for the two letters - HP.

SicShelby09

Banned
For 100k i can get much better cars and faster then 800hp shelby MUSTANG. lol what a joke

No doubt. That old man is out of control with the markup on his "cars". If I could have gotten my car for much less cash without his name all over it, I would have ripped the badges off in a second.

Users who are viewing this thread