2012 Sandhills Open Road Challenge

mustang addict

Established Member
Made the trip up to Arnold Nebraska (read: 780 miles from home!) for the 2012 Sandhills Open Road Challenge. We've done the last couple of BBORR's and had a blast so we decided to add this event to our yearly "must do" events.

The course is different than what we are used to. About 29 miles to the north, then turn around and come back 26 miles south. The road is crazy twisty, winding through the elevation changes of the Nebraska Sandhills. LOTS of blind turns and best of all...only two lanes wide whereas the BBORR is 4 lanes wide.

After teching the car we were told that since it was our first time we'd only be allowed to run the 105 mph class with a tech (max allowed) speed of 140mph. I was bummed. We ran the 140 class at the last BBORR with a tech speed of 168mph. So 105 seems WAAAAAY too slow for a couple of Texans that just showed up with dreams of glory and fame! LOL

So for the next day and a half my navigator and I set out to make some course notes. We ran the course (with some spirited driving inserted) a few times and honed in our notes. There's one turn in particular, a long 90 deg, that is well known for jumping out and biting you if you're not careful. On the north leg this long turn opens up for ya but on the southbound return trip the turn has a very, very late apex as the radius decreases significantly almost all at once. The turn is denoted and screamed at me during the race as the "F***ING WHOA!" corner. It worked.

Just before the race began on Saturday morning, we were told by the gentlemen in the Viper behind us in line (who would leave exactly one minute behind us as that's how the cars are staged) that they felt the 105 mph class might be a little much for us as "rookies". It seems this was not their first event and they were just working their way up to the 105mph level. They politely told me what to do when they came up to pass us. No pressure. The next words out of my mouth were to my navigator and sounded something a little like "there's no f***ing way those guys are getting within eye sight of us". And they didn't.

Lights were dropped, we were off. The first 10 miles into the 29 mile long north leg...we had a 115mph average. Ooops. The remainder of that trip was spent hovering the 85mph mark on the gps with a couple of quick bursts up to speed just for fun. Mostly suck. Boring. Literally talked to eachvother the entire rest of that trip. Crossed the line 12 seconds too fast.

Factored in our gross miscalculation of time for the southbound trip. Left the line soft, 3 miles in we were dead on at 103.6 mph average which was our target if figuring in our 12 second early finish on the north leg. Literally took almost every corner at or near our target speed...aside from the f***ing whoa corner. That got a cautious 80 mile an hour entry. Crossed the finish, "we think", within about a second of our time target. GPS read 103.6.

All in all, lotsa fun. Great little town. The local owner of the gas station put us up for the weekend as there aren't any hotels. Average temp during the day was 80 degrees with 50's at night...that was wonderful.

After doing this in the Supra a few times we kinda decided to do a purpose built car. I've had an LT1 '94 firehawk sitting in the garage for quite some time that sees absolutely no use whatsoever. So we are making plans for an LS3 with C6 Z06 brakes on that car with all the Spano handling stuff and beat the crap out of that piece of junk rather than the Supra.

Entry deadline for this race is in October. Some of you guys need to go with us next year. Definitely a must do.

Pics:

The famed Arnold NE water tower:

WaterTowerinArnold.jpg

Supra with the go-pro on the side ready near the start (I'll have video soon):

SupraatStartingLine.jpg

My favorite car there:

Pantera.jpg

Starting lineup:

StartingLine.jpg

'49 Cadillac with a 454 LSX, runs the famed La Carrera race in Mexico, very cool guys:

49Cadillac.jpg

View of the cornfields from the house we stayed in:

Viewofcornfields.jpg

Beautiful pro touring camaro:

protouringcamaro.jpg

2005 Noble with 4000 miles and lotsa go fast parts:

2005Noble.jpg

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Next year book the Arrow hotel in Broken Bow. My family owns it so I may be a bit biased but the best play to stay anywhere in the area. Plus they have a good restaurant/bar in the hotel. Was talking to Cletus Kraft (yellow Z06) at the bar for a while last year, nice guy.

Did you run the standing mile as well?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
M"ostly suck. Boring. Literally talked to eachvother the entire rest of that trip. Crossed the line 12 seconds too fast."

This. After seeing the event on Speed vision, I looked into it. Way to regulated it looked like

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Darn! Just missed it on Hot Rod TV on the 13th. That looks so cool. I'm trying to find some YouTube videos.

Edit: Looks like it is being aired tomorrow, Aug. 16, on Speed at 4:30 PM.

Last edited:

Ruslow

Established Member
I have not done the SORC event yet.But have been doing the ORR thing for 14 years and yes they are regulated fairly heavily but have you run at speed 130+ for 30 minutes.Do you know What your car is doing at those speeds[sustained]?Tires grow driveshafts are turning almost twice their 'normal' speed your foot is alot closer to the firewall.so you are running open loop for miles instead of a mile.IE tuner need to know his stuff.Now to the driver, at those speeds many white knuckle the wheel at that speed and stiff, up you nned to still be fluid and relaxed but aware other wise you will exhausted by the end.
There is a pic of my old car that I ran,my nav and myself walked away from the incident,we were running a 157 average speed when I lost a front tire.What saved us litterly was the fact i set [tech'ed] the car to run unlimited.Search the 'R' forum for 'one less R'.Then after seeing the pic ask the question again 'is it to regulated?''
they put the rules in place for your safety BUT more for the survival of the sport.Since almost all are non professional drivers and think they know how to drive at highway speeds and know much less at HIGH speed.Stan

Last edited:

03kevo

Established Member
I have not done the SORC event yet.But have been doing the ORR thing for 14 years and yes they are regulated fairly heavily but have you run at speed 130+ for 30 minutes.Do you know What your car is doing at those speeds[sustained]?Tires grow driveshafts are turning almost twice their 'normal' speed your foot is alot closer to the firewall.so you are running open loop for miles instead of a mile.IE tuner need to know his stuff.Now to the driver, at those speeds many white knuckle the wheel at that speed and stiff, up you nned to still be fluid and relaxed but aware other wise you will exhausted by the end.
There is a pic of my old car that I ran,my nav and myself walked away from the incident,we were running a 157 average speed when I lost a front tire.What saved us litterly was the fact i set [tech'ed] the car to run unlimited.Search the 'R' forum for 'one less R'.Then after seeing the pic ask the question again 'is it to regulated?''
they put the rules in place for your safety BUT more for the survival of the sport.Since almost all are non professional drivers and think they know how to drive at highway speeds and know much less at HIGH speed.Stan

Great post. Looking to get into open track and stop drag track.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
i just saw a show about this event on speed a couple nights ago. It looks like a blast!!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The 68 is Bad Penny. Love that car and apparently Steve Rupp, it's owner is a hell of a guy as well.

I'm HOPING to make this event within the next couple years wiht my '69 Firebird.

Thanks for the story and pictures!

DougNuts

'18 F150
Established Member
Cool! My family is from Nebraska so I wanted to do this event but assumed it was sold out by the time I saw the show about it on Hot Rod TV. I guess I should sign up for next year...........off to talk to the wife!

haskett

Established Member
SORC is a great event. The community goes over the top with hospitality. The week has two open road races and a one mile shootout. This was my third year doing the event and the first year that my equipment (mostly) worked. It's a pretty technical course with no room for error, given zero shoulders, 24 foot wide road, "gravelly" road surface, and ditches on either side. Third time at 110 class was the charm, now planning to move up to 115 next year.

As for the event feeling easy... that's a good thing. There is no room for error. Ask any number of people that have wrecked the last few years. I went to MSR Houston two weeks before the event, got my limits re-calibrated, and then ran SORC at two notches below my limit. The $25 plaque that winners receive isn't worth putting your life in the hands of your safety equipment. Just talk to the guy who destroyed his Mach 1 in a rollover last year, despite driving a "slow" class and having years of experience.

My car at the shootout on Friday
215467_10152031783870078_71151074_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread