2012 Mustang GT turbo vs procharger

blkmach2003

Established Member
I have been looking to get a kit that would be safe, realiable, and have longevity on my stock 5.0 6 speed. Those are my main goals I could care less which one makes less or more power. I just want the safest. To be honest I don't know much about the 5.0 engines

I was looking at multiple supercharger a (magnacharger, whipple, procharger F1A) and I was looking at the turbo from on3

Has any one had one of these kits before. What would you go for f1a or on3 for instance? While meeting my goals. Thanks

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Turbo's will be less stress on the Crank Shaft, and produce similar HP as compared to the S/C's......

I have Prochargers on two of my cars and they are a GREAT Blower, BUT the belts come off at the most inopportune times.....

The install is similar between Turbo's and S/C's as far as time.....

I would go with a Helion Turbo (BBR) in today's 5.0's as the crank is not a forged unit OEM, excluding the Boss. The turbo will not be a huge instant shock to the internals and other drive line components, as say a positive displacement s/c......

YMMV!

Mike

84GTTurbo

Established Member
I don't think anyone has had a chance to install a on3 kit yet. They just started shipping the 2011+ kit this month. Twins are the way to go on the 2011+s

Shaunk

Established Member
Turbo's will be less stress on the Crank Shaft, and produce similar HP as compared to the S/C's......

I have Prochargers on two of my cars and they are a GREAT Blower, BUT the belts come off at the most inopportune times.....

I would go with a Helion Turbo (BBR) in today's 5.0's as the crank is not a forged unit OEM, excluding the Boss. The turbo will not be a huge instant shock to the internals and other drive line components, as say a positive displacement s/c......

YMMV!

Mike

The coyote crank is forged.

bigriff85

Established Member
the crank is forged. also op you stated "safe" which once you start modding a car is going out the window lol too many variables fuel, tuning, environmental factors, etc. but the power adders you listed are the farthest thing from "safe" as far as power addders go. research on3 and hellion (especially for the new 5.0) and thank me later and while the procharger f1a is one of the best blowers money can buy it is in fact a racing blower which makes way too much boost on the largest pulley you can put on one of those for your car...safe boost 7-8psi on a procharger p1sc (entry level blower) is where you need to be looking or the tvs kits are nice to at that boost level as well. in fact i'd reccomend for low boost like that to stay away from centrifugal all together and just stick w/ a tvs as you'll get the low end and all of your boost instantly where as 7-8psi at red line may be dissapointing for some on the centrifugals like the procharger...to each their own though...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
CPRsm's single kit, JPC's single kit or a stage II procharger F1a kit would be my choices.

ZLwhat?

Speed addict
Established Member
I have a procharger p1sc stage II. It makes plenty of power, andHey, this is Jordan. I was wondering if you still have that drive shaft and shifter? If so how much? it is not loud. I like the procharger over the turbo because most turbos share oil with the engine and the procharger doesn't.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I went with the procharger. Any blower setup or turbo will get you to the low 600hp range which is a good stopping point for stock motor reliability. The turbo will get there easier with less stress on the engine.

The vortech/paxton seems like the way to go for a cheaper(price) blower setup which makes easily in the 600s. I probably spent 2k more on options with the procharger setup with stage 2, polished unit and bracket, d1sc, balancer, and custom catch can, and race bypass.........but I like the way it looks and sounds lol

phynx

Established Member
I have the procharger stage ll p1sc and I'm in love with it. I would recommend bigger injectors and a boost a pump. You will easily make 600+

4VFTW

Established Member
the Beefcake special paxton will make more power than the stock rods and pistons can handle and is the best bang for the buck in FI for the coyote. Unless you really have a hard-on for a turbo give him a call.

RusWolf

Established Member
on3 kit is untested with the majority of 5.0's so not many people will tell you about it.

You should also look at the paxton kit. Great kit and centri blowers stress the drivetrain less than pd blowers due to the power being top end vs down low.

Centri blower are very similar to a turbo, i think it's basically is a turbo just belt driven. It looks like a turbo and some components are similar to a function of a turbo. Major difference obviously with a turbo you need different headers and with supercharger you do not.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Personally id go paxton since thats the best deal, but the turbo will provide a lot more torque then the centri blowers. Just keep in mind a clutch will come soon after in most cases.

svtshadow

Banned

YMMV!

Mike

Wrong!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
my paxton specials are the best bang for the buck,

best intercooler,

best iat placement

less crank stress

most growing potential

lowest cost!!!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
on3 kit is untested with the majority of 5.0's so not many people will tell you about it.

You should also look at the paxton kit. Great kit and centri blowers stress the drivetrain less than pd blowers due to the power being top end vs down low.

Centri blower are very similar to a turbo, i think it's basically is a turbo just belt driven. It looks like a turbo and some components are similar to a function of a turbo. Major difference obviously with a turbo you need different headers and with supercharger you do not.

Sorry but this is not correct.

A centri and a trubo are only the same as in they make boost. One builds over RPM, and the turbo peaks at a certain rpm and stays their. It is also less stress on the motor because you are not touching your belt system. Thats why they say blowers take power to make power. Any blower will put extra pressure on the motor.

Good example. My vortech used to build at 3500 and be at peak boost at 6500 when I shifted. The turbo, At 3600, I was at full 17lbs.

On the coyotes, You do not need headers for a turbo car. Most can use your factory manifolds. To get the peak power out of a blower (more money) you need headers.

The Hellion twin turbo kit comes with tubed forward facing headers. You will also spool at 2500rpm range.

OP, any power adder will get you 600rwhp range with supporting mods. Boost is boost. It's just how you want it to kick in. It's either instant and builds over rpm (root style) build throughout rpm (centri) or peak boost quick (turbo)

The main question is.... what do you want it to do and how do you want it to look. You will find people who are running just about every system and happy with it.

We deal with every power adder so their is no one way thought.

And if money is the question then go even cheaper and spray it with a NX kit. We have cars running mid 10s consistent with a 150 shot, jlt, off road x, tire, and bbr tune.... Just saying

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
Blower will be the cheaper way to go but you will make more power per lb of boost and have more potential with a turbo setup. My car picked up about 100rwhp at the same boost on pump when I went turbo. If you do go turbo buy a kit that offers precision turbos.

Ditty

Established Member
From what I've read, the ON3 turbo system for Coyotes is crap. I have no personal knowledge though; just what I'm reading on forums about build quality, quality of the turbos, tubing thickness, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread