2012 GT500 Issues with Knock/Fixing False Knock

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Not necessarily. You don't always get a misfire code with blowout.

So... Octane boost much?

Unless it's the angle, it looks like you could toss a puppy through that gap.

There are a couple of good primers on how to read spark plugs if you Google it. I would.

I will assume you've done the normal checking for a rattle against the coil covers.

If you are going to check plugs (read them) use a new set so that you are sure you are not looking at old info.

For giggles, try a set of BR7EF NGK (very inexpensive) at 026. You shouldn't need it that tight but it won't hurt anything. THEN do your wot work and pull them. Datalog that pull, too.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Not necessarily. You don't always get a misfire code with blowout.

So... Octane boost much?

Unless it's the angle, it looks like you could toss a puppy through that gap.

There are a couple of good primers on how to read spark plugs if you Google it. I would.

I will assume you've done the normal checking for a rattle against the coil covers.

If you are going to check plugs (read them) use a new set so that you are sure you are not looking at old info.

For giggles, try a set of BR7EF NGK (very inexpensive) at 026. You shouldn't need it that tight but it won't hurt anything. THEN do your wot work and pull them. Datalog that pull, too.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Octane was one of my first guesses at causing the issue. I've tried every station here (except places like maverick that have garbage gas) unfortunately all we have here is 91 pump except for 1 station that has 110 off the pump and 1 station that has e85. I've used different octane boosters and I have also blended 110 to rule out bad gas. I'm probably going to switch to e85 with the new blower since this isn't a daily driver.

Only things I've seen coming close to the coil covers are the passenger catch can and the intake coupler on the driver side. Are there other things to look out for touching the valve covers?

Ill order a new set of plugs and do another test hit and pull them for inspection. From what I read I should be looking for speckling on the ceramic part of the plug either caused from oil getting into there or metallic flakes knocked loose from detonation.

edit: The gap on the current plugs was all over the place. Some of them were almost to .040 I re gapped all of them down to .028

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I had the same thing happen on my 11 and everyone said it was bad gas. After a few months got her put on the dyno. Ended up being a loose header bolt rattling. Could even be a loose blower bolt but my guess is something close to the motor. From what I've seen bad plugs would make your car idle and run like crap. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread