2012 GT/CS Accel Super coil packs installed and impressions

2012GT/CS

Established Member
i just installed the Accel Super coil packs today. I got them from american muscle with a forum discount for $385 shipped. The install only took me about 20 minutes with no issues at all. upon the first second i hit gas I was very happy with the instant throttle responce, how much more crisp and strong the car felt from idle to redline. I also picked up about 2mpg :)

20130611_185933_zpsf60d8870.jpg

20130611_185941_zps1a044434.jpg

20130611_185948_zps267bce3f.jpg

cbrtrx

Established Member
Tried them on the dyno with a buddies car. Stabilized all variables and made 3 run with each. Lost 6 to 7 hp on all the runs with the aftermarket coils, put the stockers back on and the next pull the power was back. Needless to say he retuned them the next day.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Tried them on the dyno with a buddies car. Stabilized all variables and made 3 run with each. Lost 6 to 7 hp on all the runs with the aftermarket coils, put the stockers back on and the next pull the power was back. Needless to say he retuned them the next day.

I remember when they first came out and since I'd not owned a car with these before thought it must be some awesome upgrade. I waited and waited since it was a good chunk of money and all the reviews for them from people who actually tested them were not good. I really hadn't heard of lost power that high but definitely heard they were not worth the money at all.

I am still pretty set to not buy a set of these unless I get them insanely cheap.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
same thing with after market coil packs in the lightnings... people bought them and then went back to the stockers. someone made basically a stock coil pack that didnt use bolt to hold them down and had a better boot or w/e its called so no water or dirt would get down to the plugs. not sure how they were thought. just seems that the factory units are good enough. id rather play with plugs and gapping to get it to run smooth.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I had the Granateli version when they first came out for the 2005 mustangs...I developed a miss after about 10k miles. The aftermarket coil packs were the culprit! So I have never given them another thought!

They did make the car idle smoother and had a little more respons.

glad you like the gain vs cost though.

Last edited:

CPRsm

I had the Granateli version when they first came out for the 2005 mustangs...I developed a miss after about 10k miles. The aftermarket coil packs were the culprit! So I have never given them another thought!
Ours didn't last that long. Never made it off the dyno w the coyote version. Went to pull the plugs and the stainless part that clips to the back of the plug tore out of the coil and stayed on the plug. I believe it was 3 the first time. They fixed them for free after telling me they had never had that problem. And they just tested one in the back on a plug and didn't have that problem. Got them back and the next plug pull 7 of 8 tore. These were the 600 version iirc.

mantis118

Established Member
I had accels on my Cobra and lightning. The Cobra had them for over 20k with no issues. Lightning made over 730 with no issues. So I can't really say anything bad about them.

Too40gawlf

Banned

+2

Aftermarket coil and plugs and usually other ignition compnonents are snake oil. Personally, I only go OEM for coils & plugs. Motorcraft ignition compnonents make these cars run the best. The aftermarket stuff is usually crap and lasts a fraction of the time OEM does.

OP, if AM wont let you return the coils, see if you can sell them and return to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread