2012 Boss Transmission Bottom Line

Presbycusis

Established Member
Hi all, this is my first post here on SVTP and this may be a bit long winded but bare with me.

So I know this topic has been run into the ground on many different forums but I wanted some honest opinions from Boss 302 owners. How wide spread are problems people are having with the 2011 and 2012 MT-82 transmission (i.e. clutch, shifting, transmission fluid, etc)? I know its enough to have a fed. investigation started but I have not seen any data as far as people having no problems whatsoever vs. people having issue to varying degrees (5%, 10% 30%). Are people with the Boss having fewer problems than GT owners because of the upgraded parts? And is it well worth it because of performance to take a gamble see what happens?

I have never owned a performance car before but want to buy one and get into the hobby since I have a couple friends that do and take their cars to shows. I want something that will be reliable right out of the gate and not have to change the shifter or do this or that to make it work like a brand new car should. I am looking of course at Challenger SRT8, and Boss 302. I know neither have been completely trouble free (including the GT500 too) which is understandable for any machine though it seems like the 5.0s have had the most trouble of the three.

I was going to wait for the 2013s to see if there were any changes but it sounds like the transmission is going to be the same though that doesn't mean they wont be able to smooth out these problems by the time they are available, so if I really want the Mustang I should just go for it now or maybe wait for the 2015s?

What should I do? :shrug: Thanks.

blacknlte

Established Member
When it comes down to it, its your money! What your reading on all the message boards is a small fraction of owners that are having problems.

ulrichw

Here's how I see it (YMMV).

I knew about the MT-82 issues and the blown #8 issues in Mustangs when I bought my Boss.

Here's why I did it anyway:
- Many people seem to be able to expect the transmission to handle unlimited amounts of power-shifting, etc. I'm thinking this is contributing to the issue - my feeling is that the transmission is marginally spec'ed for the engine's power/torque, and abuse is pushing it over the edge.
- I drive relatively gently most of the time, so I expect that if there are wide-spread failures, by the time I'm affected, Ford will have issued a recall.
- The #8 issues appears to be correlated with tunes - a. I'm planning on keeping the car stock for now and, b. the issue appears to be with the Coyote engine, not the Roadrunner
- If something should happen, I can afford to both be without the car and pay for repairs, if they should not be covered under warranty
- I am extremely impressed with what Ford did with the car and the engine - I feel it's worth the risk

Knock on wood: 2200 miles and no issues yet.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
here's my question. are you going to street drive the car or is it going to see a good bit of road course track duty? the boss 302r and 302s race cars do not have the mt82 in them. they have the current edition of the t56 installed.

if you are going to cruise the streets with it, the stock box should be enough. if racing/track day driving is what you have in mind, moving up to the 6060 or whatever the latest version is should be your move anyway.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I had major transmission problems with my 2011 Shelby GT500, sold it after only owning it for 1,500 miles. I bought a new Boss and was overly concerned about the mt82, but so far I couldnt be happier. It shifts perfect as long as you let it warm up. I've been giving all kinds of hell and it hasnt shown any issues yet. I am going to change the fluid and install an mgw shifter, and possibly a new clutch in the new future.

The car is worth it, just buy it and you wont regret it.

Presbycusis

Established Member
here's my question. are you going to street drive the car or is it going to see a good bit of road course track duty? the boss 302r and 302s race cars do not have the mt82 in them. they have the current edition of the t56 installed.

if you are going to cruise the streets with it, the stock box should be enough. if racing/track day driving is what you have in mind, moving up to the 6060 or whatever the latest version is should be your move anyway.

Didn't know I could get a Boss with the 6060. That's really what I wanted anyway. Actually I would settle for a GT if that was an option. I know that transmission is a bit heavier but from what I have read the MT-82 is only rated for 385lb-ft which is just enough but if you want to mod or push the limit, the numbers just don't add up.

Whatever car I end of buying will be my daily driver year round and Ill have summer performance tires for 3 seasons and snow/ice tires for the winter months. It will mostly be a street cruiser though the whole idea is to start taking it to the track as well. I have a buddy that just bought an M3 that needs to be taught a lesson.

I can't seem to find much info on the 302s and 302r. Do these have the TracKey option or are they only for "racing"? Are they street legal and what are the differences between those and the normal Boss? Also what are the price differences? The 40-45k range was what I was looking at though I probably would pay more knowing there was more room to breather for the future. :dw:

Last edited:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Mine was junk at 105 miles..... It is now a 5 speed with fifth gear unusable. The clutch slips in 5th gear as well. 1-4 and 6th the car is fine.... I am not abusive to the car by any means, but if it is made to go 7500 rpm I am using the car to it's full potential.....

The Boss is SUCH a great driver to it's full potential, which makes it much easier to go faster, turn harder, and break shorter then cars with much more HP.

(From your last post: If you drive a Boss in the winter....... You will have a pile of parts as they have ZERO corrosion resistance from looking under mine)

YMMV!

Mike

Presbycusis

Established Member
Mine was junk at 105 miles..... It is now a 5 speed with fifth gear unusable. The clutch slips in 5th gear as well. 1-4 and 6th the car is fine.... I am not abusive to the car by any means, but if it is made to go 7500 rpm I am using the car to it's full potential.....

The Boss is SUCH a great driver to it's full potential, which makes it much easier to go faster, turn harder, and break shorter then cars with much more HP.

(From your last post: If you drive a Boss in the winter....... You will have a pile of parts as they have ZERO corrosion resistance from looking under mine)

YMMV!

Mike

Well I guess maybe if I do go with the Mustang I should just stick with the 5.0 since it will be a DD. I may wait to see how the '13s hold up before making a final decision. I am still considering the Challenger SRT though even if it is a bit more bulky. I would feel better modding it down the road I think since the the TR6060 is able to handle more torque.

Thanks for the info everyone.

chuckstang

Established Member
The tranny is fine.

Move on.

I had a GT500 with the 6060 tranny with far more issues than this new tranny.

Seriously, just cause you read on the forums some have problems that is like 1% of the actual cars built.

Presbycusis

Established Member

So does this mean that the 5.0 would have the same problem? Because the cars are supposed to be the same thing basically except the Boss has some upgraded parts right? Or is it those parts that would not be protected because Ford expects people to use it mainly on the track?

In that case what is your guys opinion for the rustproofing and underbody protective coatings from companies like Zeibart. Is that a waste of time and money or does it really work well and if so is it bad/good for a car that will be run hotter than somthing say like a sedan or suv that wont see any track time?

:??:

Thanks again.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
To clarify - you cannot order a Boss (street legal version) or a GT with a Tremec 6060. You can only get the Getrag MT82 as well as an automatic on the GT.

deadly venom

Established Member
i have an 07 shelby and a boss and have had no issues with either one. but i did change the fluid in the boss tranny...better safe then sorry

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
So far, the transmission in my Boss is perfect. It's been down the 1/4 mile track a dozen times (stock), seen lots of dyno pulls (tuning the KB), a cross country trip and some spirited street driving with and without the blower.

I've never had the pedal stick, shifts perfect and never missed a gear since puttng the MGW shifter in. I do have a Centerforce DYAD clutch on standby because clutch failure is imminent.

cloud9

Established Member
18 hard track days and my transmission shifts like butta. 5500 total miles on my Boss of which 1850 of those are on the track. I have an '07 GT500 with two replaced TSB clutches and one TSB transmission. IMO this MT-82 issue is way overblown.

chuckstang

Established Member
18 hard track days and my transmission shifts like butta. 5500 total miles on my Boss of which 1850 of those are on the track. I have an '07 GT500 with two replaced TSB clutches and one TSB transmission. IMO this MT-82 issue is way overblown.

yup

there were some defective 6060s and some defective mt-82s.

It is with this with every car built today. So if you are scared to buy a mustang cause of this tranny or #8, well then dont buy any car.

Personally, I am not worried, thats why I bought new...warranty!

Presbycusis

Established Member
It is with this with every car built today. So if you are scared to buy a mustang cause of this tranny or #8, well then dont buy any car.

Good point.

Yah, that did cross my mind. When I first got my Saturn there was a problem with one of the motherboards and chips...the car would think I was trying to steal it and the anti-theft mechanism would lock everything down and I couldn't even get it out of gear. Got stranded and had it in the shop about 5 times before they finally fixed it. :fm:

That is sort of what I am hoping to avoid.

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hi all, this is my first post here on SVTP and this may be a bit long winded but bare with me.

So I know this topic has been run into the ground on many different forums but I wanted some honest opinions from Boss 302 owners. How wide spread are problems people are having with the 2011 and 2012 MT-82 transmission (i.e. clutch, shifting, transmission fluid, etc)? I know its enough to have a fed. investigation started but I have not seen any data as far as people having no problems whatsoever vs. people having issue to varying degrees (5%, 10% 30%). Are people with the Boss having fewer problems than GT owners because of the upgraded parts? And is it well worth it because of performance to take a gamble see what happens?

I have never owned a performance car before but want to buy one and get into the hobby since I have a couple friends that do and take their cars to shows. I want something that will be reliable right out of the gate and not have to change the shifter or do this or that to make it work like a brand new car should. I am looking of course at Challenger SRT8, and Boss 302. I know neither have been completely trouble free (including the GT500 too) which is understandable for any machine though it seems like the 5.0s have had the most trouble of the three.

I was going to wait for the 2013s to see if there were any changes but it sounds like the transmission is going to be the same though that doesn't mean they wont be able to smooth out these problems by the time they are available, so if I really want the Mustang I should just go for it now or maybe wait for the 2015s?

What should I do? :shrug: Thanks.

I've got 2 MT-82 cars. One of which is the quickest in the country and the other is just behind it (not for long). Both cars have seen slicks and high rpm launches as well as get powershifted every time they're raced. Both cars still shift perfect and don't exhibit any of the issues I've read about.

In my opinion it's an awesome transmission and I wouldn't hesitate buying another MT-82 car.

[youtube_browser]OvjgFOXDtoE[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]bRH55UtXfV0[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Presbycusis

Established Member
That's impressive. You got a couple of fine buckin' broncos there.

Though how much of those cars are still stock? Shifter, clutch, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread