2012 Boss 302 CJ Intake Swap Thread

EJR

Established Member
I recently went ahead and ordered up the CJ swap for the Boss. Decided to make my own thread for result updates, etc.

The work previous to the car consisted of:

Kooks 1 3/4 Headers
Kooks O/R X Pipe
Bassani Custom 3" Exhaust
C&L Air Intake
Meziere EWP
Aluminium Driveshaft
Mcleod RST w/ Aluminium Flywheel
3.73s w/ Carbon Clutch Posi/Moser Axles
275/60/15 Nitto Drag Radials on Race Stars
AED Tune

With that work, the car put down consistent 450-455whp/390-395wtq through all heat ranges (oil, coolant, ambient) multiple times on the use of a personal Dyno Jet 224x. Car ran 11.69 at 122.9 with a terrible 1.90 60 ft in positive DA. Car was having a lot of issues in the first 100-150ft and was ruining the track results. Some suspension geometry issues and too stiff a tire just plagued it with wheel hop. Suspension has been straightened out and 27" QTPs will be on for the next outing. I suspect in the same air with the same power/weight (3475lb raceweight last time out), she had a solid 11.0-11.1 in it at 124-125mph had I been able to make the car work efficiently without use of the CJ. Id like to say Id have some solid CJ gains at the track for you in the future, but unfortunately between all that I have done, it just wouldnt be apples to apples.

So with the history out of the way. We shall get onto the swap of the intake. I ordered up a CJ Manifold, along side an SCJ Monoblade and Rev Auto 5" CAI. Everything is installed and currently running with the base tune from AED. Runs rather well actually at 800rpm idle, even for an un-logged base tune. I will hopefully have some dyno results for you soon, pending weather (New England). But here are some pictures.....

Future work for this season will consist of:
Baer front brakes
Girodisc rear rotors
Hoosier DRs for the street on my 15x10s
Hoosier QTPs on another set of 15x10s
Bias front runners on 15x3.5s
Front Coil Overs (still undecided on brand)
ATI Balancer

Looking to get the race-weight down to roughly 3350lbs

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
Previous engine bay picture
EngineBay2_zps2d9cd45a.gif

Last shot with the Boss intake on
20140114_163152_zps8fcacd58.gif

Boss Cylinder head intake runner
20140114_172107_zps9eeef351.gif

Massaged the CJ intake a bit. Nothing major... just rough edging, etc.
20140116_221230_zpsfd8b4307.gif

Addition of the SCJ TB and factory boss coil covers back on
IMG_0056_zpscee33632.gif

Finished product.. Adding 5" CAI and JLT catch cans to each side
DSC_4211_zps1a7b7b8a.gif

DSC_4242_zpsebfc1411.gif

DSC_4192_zpsbc8ac166.gif

DSC_4249_zpsdff56645.gif

Evan1_zps1ca7d52a.gif

And finally, a quick walk around video of the car. Not in its final state, but as it sits.

The Boss - YouTube

EJR

Established Member
Thanks. It did... I just chose to not use it as its just a personal preferance

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Man that is one sexy engine bay. Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it

toomnymods

Established Member
awesome setup.. When I got tuned thru AED shaun told me not to use my catchcan. said the ecu was adjusting parameters and showed I had a vacuum leak. Has he told you the same?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
That engine bay is glorious! What battery is that? Do you get anything out of your driver's side catch can? Mine was bone dry even with the new JLT filter.

EJR

Established Member
Man that is one sexy engine bay. Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it
I did all the wrench work. A friend of mine at a local shop (non coyote related) did the clean up work on the intake.
Damn that is the nicest looking engine by I've seen in any 2011+ car!! Good work!

Nice clean setup
Thanks guys
awesome setup.. When I got tuned thru AED shaun told me not to use my catchcan. said the ecu was adjusting parameters and showed I had a vacuum leak. Has he told you the same?
No he hasnt... but it also only has a base tune in it. He hasnt seen any logs from me. But it also doesnt have symptoms of a vacuum leak. No rev hang etc.
That engine bay is glorious! What battery is that? Do you get anything out of your driver's side catch can? Mine was bone dry even with the new JLT filter.

Braille B3121. Bracket is custom made. No part number. And each catch can is bone dry... no mileage on the car yet.

toomnymods

Established Member
I did all the wrench work. A friend of mine at a local shop (non coyote related) did the clean up work on the intake.

Thanks guys

No he hasnt... but it also only has a base tune in it. He hasnt seen any logs from me. But it also doesnt have symptoms of a vacuum leak. No rev hang etc.

Braille B3121. Bracket is custom made. No part number. And each catch can is bone dry... no mileage on the car yet.

mine didn't have symptoms either.. I really want to use a catch can but obviously for some reason this bobs autosports one is making my ecu think I have a vacuum leak.. is weird..
he seen it immediately in my first datalogs. please let me know if he says the jlts work fine..

EJR

Established Member
mine didn't have symptoms either.. I really want to use a catch can but obviously for some reason this bobs autosports one is making my ecu think I have a vacuum leak.. is weird..
he seen it immediately in my first datalogs. please let me know if he says the jlts work fine..

Theres really not much to it... the cans should be sealed. Have you located where abouts the leak is on the can? Any pictures of it?

toomnymods

Established Member
just noticed my fittings at my catchcan didn't have anytype of Teflon sealant on them, nor the drain on the bottom, I went ahead and applied Teflon paste to all fittings and will redatalog and see if it is still acting up.. hate to just throw away a 240.00 catchcan..

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
just noticed my fittings at my catchcan didn't have anytype of Teflon sealant on them, nor the drain on the bottom, I went ahead and applied Teflon paste to all fittings and will redatalog and see if it is still acting up.. hate to just throw away a 240.00 catchcan..

Sell it and buy a jlt for the passenger's side.

EJR

Established Member

turn the car on let it idle... and spray some soapy water over the fittings and can. See if you can locate the leak

Users who are viewing this thread