2011 GT500s still worthy?

850SNCobra

Established Member
I've never been surprised by an S550. Perhaps I'm driving the wrong streets? :oops:

I don't know, I haven't been surprised by one on the streets myself I guess I'm just speaking hypothetically :LOL:

I saw a video about how the S550's can get to about 500hp with a few bolt ons, knowing that the stock 07-09 GT500's make anywhere from 450-500whp makes me think that if I run into the right S550, he'll show me his tail lights :ROFLMAO:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know, I haven't been surprised by one on the streets myself I guess I'm just speaking hypothetically :LOL:

I saw a video about how the S550's can get to about 500hp with a few bolt ons, knowing that the stock 07-09 GT500's make anywhere from 450-500whp makes me think that if I run into the right S550, he'll show me his tail lights :ROFLMAO:

I'm glad you took my post as humor. Yes.....but there is a but.....

the S550 (or the 5.0) will never have the torque that a 5.4 or 5.8 lays down. Get out in front with a GT500. Now, there are exceptions, of course. Than the question is how much did that S550 guy or gal have to spend on top of the car, to net that much power?

I do like the Mach 1 and I think OP made the right choice. I would only buy a 13/14 GT500, knowing what I know now

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never been surprised by an S550. Perhaps I'm driving the wrong streets? :oops:
Man, If I saw that bad ass rare 2013 Shelby GT500 you got rolling down the street. Id stay right in the rear view mirror were i belong.......just saying. Heed my advice GT S550'S and Ford performance GT500'S.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, If I saw that bad ass rare 2013 Shelby GT500 you got rolling down the street. Id stay right in the rear view mirror were i belong.......just saying. Heed my advice GT S550'S and Ford performance GT500'S.

michael-scott-awkward.gif

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
As I am late, my take isn't going to effect the outcome of the original intent of the thread. That being said, I had a 2009 GT500 until last June when I hydroplaned and totaled it. It was a bad day, for sure as it was a VERY fun car. It had a pretty full compliment of bolt-ons. Suspension, VMP Gen2R and supporting mods, etc that had it high to mid 10 second capable at 656 to the rear wheels. I wrecked it and was looking to grab another and then I drove the 2018 GT that I ended up buying. Other than the great power down low, bone stock except for CAI, 20 inch KMC's with 305's in the rear and 255's up front, and Side pipes on a non PP car, it would handle the turns as well as my GT500, the tech and ride are faaaaar superior from a comfort and ability standpoint, and I get a lot of compliments on the car. I had a 70 year old man pull up next to me last night in his wife's Hyundai to tell me how beautiful the car was. He told me to take care of it. I had a GT350 owner follow me to work 2 weeks ago and ask me about the car. So As A guy who was a bit of a Shelby snob having had one a grown to like it, you can still get a good bit of that attention wanted or not with a non-GT500 mustang, trust me.

Now having just said all of the above I absolutely miss my s197 and certainly miss that grunt down low of that PD blown 5.4 for sure, to the point that I bought Corsa long tubes and mid pipes, a VMP BAP, ID 1050X injectors, Boundary OPG's with crank sprocket, and a Whipple stage 2 kit to try and gain some of that thrill of the PD blower I had with the GT500. It should put me right around 700 at the wheels with the right tuning and that Gen3 5.0 revs out to 7400 redline, so there's THAT.

Attachments

• 2018GTMustang004.jpg
    2018GTMustang004.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 72
  • 2018GTMustang003.jpg
    2018GTMustang003.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2018GTMustang005.jpg
    2018GTMustang005.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 64
  • 2018GTMustang007.jpg
    2018GTMustang007.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2018GTMustang010.jpg
    2018GTMustang010.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018GTMustang027.jpg
    2018GTMustang027.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 67

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You made the right choice, OP.

The GT500 is a conversation piece. They are a blast to own. Everyone wants to talk about your car when you stop for gas. Been there done that--I did enjoy that time in my "mustang progression". They will hold their value without a doubt and can be made to look AMAZING.

But if you want to go fast, any coyote-based forced induction Mustang will hand most GT500's their ass.

There is a reason the new '20+ GT500 is equipped with the latest/greatest coyote. :)

noco5.0

Established Member
I've been looking hard at S197 GT500s lately. Not really sure why I have a supercharged Boss but have just always wanted one. The crazy prices on 13-14s are keeping me away. I saw a killer deal on a 12 with a KB blower upgrade but didn't love the color and emissions would have been a hassle. Probably going to focus on 11 and 12 though I just don't see the 15-20k premium of a 13 or 14 as being worth it.

SCALILOU

Established Member
I agree Gimmie,
For hard-core racing, a new gen blown coyote is hard to beat. So if that's the goal, and one doesn't care about a collectable Shelby, than it doesn't matter what's on the fender. As long as you're willing to throw money at it, you'll build the faster car.

But, if the goal is to drive around town and have to explain "ya, but it's supercharged" , then you're definitely going to suffer from GT500 regret. I see it in the eyes of every mustang GT owner I pull up next to, whether they have more horsepower or not, it's irrelevant. I had a supercharged GT in 2006, since then I've had 2 GT500s and a Boss 302. They're all money pits, and after I dumped a bunch of money to make my GT faster, I would see a GT500 and think, "With all the money I spent I could've bought that."

Everyone wants the snake on the fender. I even see GT350 owners putting them on their cars because "It's technically a Shelby" I think that pretty weak, but to each their own.

I would wait and save for the extra couple of bucks for the same year GT500 if it was me.
You made the right choice, OP.

The GT500 is a conversation piece. They are a blast to own. Everyone wants to talk about your car when you stop for gas. Been there done that--I did enjoy that time in my "mustang progression". They will hold their value without a doubt and can be made to look AMAZING.

But if you want to go fast, any coyote-based forced induction Mustang will hand most GT500's their ass.

There is a reason the new '20+ GT500 is equipped with the latest/greatest coyote. :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree Gimmie,
For hard-core racing, a new gen blown coyote is hard to beat. So if that's the goal, and one doesn't care about a collectable Shelby, than it doesn't matter what's on the fender. As long as you're willing to throw money at it, you'll build the faster car.

But, if the goal is to drive around town and have to explain "ya, but it's supercharged" , then you're definitely going to suffer from GT500 regret. I see it in the eyes of every mustang GT owner I pull up next to, whether they have more horsepower or not, it's irrelevant. I had a supercharged GT in 2006, since then I've had 2 GT500s and a Boss 302. They're all money pits, and after I dumped a bunch of money to make my GT faster, I would see a GT500 and think, "With all the money I spent I could've bought that."

Everyone wants the snake on the fender. I even see GT350 owners putting them on their cars because "It's technically a Shelby" I think that pretty weak, but to each their own.

I would wait and save for the extra couple of bucks for the same year GT500 if it was me.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Couldn't agree more! I'd say there are definitely more folks who want the cobra badge than don't.

Im one of the few that doesn't care much about that, but I see im in the minority.

My GT500 was fun though, no doubt. I agree it was special. Gas station stops were never short and quick hahah

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been looking hard at S197 GT500s lately. Not really sure why I have a supercharged Boss but have just always wanted one. The crazy prices on 13-14s are keeping me away. I saw a killer deal on a 12 with a KB blower upgrade but didn't love the color and emissions would have been a hassle. Probably going to focus on 11 and 12 though I just don't see the 15-20k premium of a 13 or 14 as being worth it.

I will lightly note, that when you began to mod the 11 or 12, you will maybe realize the reasoning for the 13/14's premium price. ( I DO NOT agree with $60k+ pricing)

Launch control, Electronic Bilstein's, kick ass dash and gadgets, carbon fiber d/s versus 2 piece...

Mod a 13/14 to net 730rwhp, $4000.00
Mod an 11/12 to net 730 rwhp $8000-$10000

Now of course if you are not gonna mod it, than the 11/12 is probably your cup of tea

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I will lightly note, that when you began to mod the 11 or 12, you will maybe realize the reasoning for the 13/14's premium price. ( I DO NOT agree with $60k+ pricing)

Launch control, Electronic Bilstein's, kick ass dash and gadgets, carbon fiber d/s versus 2 piece...

Mod a 13/14 to net 730rwhp, $4000.00
Mod an 11/12 to net 730 rwhp $8000-$10000

Now of course if you are not gonna mod it, than the 11/12 is probably your cup of tea
Outside of the CF driveshaft if someone plans to do any mods to the car, an 11-12 GT500 is a great buy. You can easily get to 600 RWHP with a tune, 2.5 pulley, intake and an elbow/throttle body, and that can be done for less than 2K. I have a 11 and it's been a fantastic car, the one thing I like most about the 13-14 is the rear end and tail lights, which at some point I may update.

HKusp

Established Member
Outside of the CF driveshaft if someone plans to do any mods to the car, an 11-12 GT500 is a great buy. You can easily get to 600 RWHP with a tune, 2.5 pulley, intake and an elbow/throttle body, and that can be done for less than 2K. I have a 11 and it's been a fantastic car, the one thing I like most about the 13-14 is the rear end and tail lights, which at some point I may update.
I think 600whp with an elbow/throttle body tune and a pulley, is waaay more than a stretch on an original 2.1 Eaton, more like 530-550HP. To get north of 600whp you're talking a whole lot more than that.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I think 600whp with an elbow/throttle body tune and a pulley, is waaay more than a stretch on an original 2.1 Eaton, more like 530-550HP. To get north of 600whp you're talking a whole lot more than that.

Took the words out of my mouth lol

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

What's unique about this hobby is the versatility and each owner has their own path.

If you have $42K-$45K for an 11/12 you can scrounge or save another $10k to buy a 13/14 @ $55k. just my opinion

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Couldn't agree more! I'd say there are definitely more folks who want the cobra badge than don't.

Im one of the few that doesn't care much about that, but I see im in the minority.

My GT500 was fun though, no doubt. I agree it was special. Gas station stops were never short and quick hahah

Speaking of gas station stops... Just had this customer's car in for some warranty work. Check out the fuel message...then look at the fuel gauge haha

Attachments

• 20220426_172849.jpg
    20220426_172849.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 97

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
da hell is that all about?

He had it at the track and the pulley clutch failed. I'm sure he was averaging 2.8-3 mpgs, so that's what the computer was calculating it at haha

Users who are viewing this thread