2011 GT500 vs. late model CTS-V

L82ford

Established Member
My GT500 has about 900 miles on it, stock right to the air in the tires. I'm old, and this guy had twenty years on me - no kidding. We were just cruising at about 45, with me about a length or two behind him. He braked, slowing down to about 35 on a wide open, no traffic stretch of suburban four lane. He was in a new style CTS-V, black, and really detailed out. I dropped to second and held 35-40 until he punched it. The Caddy got about a half length on me just because he got the jump. As I got into the high end of second I was ahead of him and pulling, barely. I lost a few feet as I hit third, but the shift was pretty much on the money so I didn't lose as much as I had gained in second. I started to open the lead on the Caddy as I pulled third, again, barely. I was probably somewhere around 90 and pulling him, when the freakin' Caddy took off like a shot. It was like I hit the brakes or pulled the chute! I don't know the car or the guy, but to have that much power that suddenly at that speed,... nitrous? I'll try to find out. I know the Caddys are fast, but I would have thought it would be nearly even. It was not close.

Cudos to the older geezer (with the fast Caddy).

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe the V was having traction issues and once it caught grip it was out... the newer supercharged ones are no joke, especially if modded...

itSSlow98

Established Member
Could have been pullied plus other stuff and he was toying with you. I doubt it was spray but you never know.

Im so jealous of the new gen Vs lol....BTW stock they trap 116-118.

L82ford

Established Member
"On paper" the Caddy has 6 more horse and weighs about 400 lbs more than my 2011 GT500 (and about 900 lbs more than a ZR1). Paper is a funny thing though, as we all know too well. That car had at least,... a ton more power than my car when he left me. Well, just about a ton. Could be he was just playing with me. I'll try to find out.

THAITED

Established Member
^^^True, most cars race from a dig with a close amount of power won't edge each other out until top of third or forth gears (that's where the extra hp and torque comes in play. 1st and 2nd usually just try to get traction sometime up to third).

Last edited:

skyhighsd

Established Member
I know a friend of mine would smoke a stock gt500 with his V, hell a pulled car would have a hard time with him.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
A 2011+ GT500 should have NO problem with a stock CTS-V. Anything can happen though, good death.

You make more power and you're 300-400lbs lighter.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
I was probably somewhere around 90 and pulling him, when the freakin' Caddy took off like a shot.

Doubt the caddy(unless extremely modded) was spinning all the way to 90mph before he caught traction.

And you all say he weighs more and has the same power. Gearing plays a huge role in a race. I know my first gen Vs geared perfect high rolls(3rd and 4th) with its factory 3.73s and MN12 T56. Ive run side by side with much lighter cars that should have beat me, weight doesnt play as much of a role from a roll as it does from a stop.

THAITED

Established Member
^^^^Try toying with a car that has similar HP like yours and see what happen. I can guarantee that you'll lose! The Caddy was probably have a better power band/better gearing up top (possibly more power/torque or even mods). That was why he pulled hard but definately he was not toying (I don't think so). Good example, let just say that you and I are racing. If I'm trying to play with you, I will lose. Even my car have almost 100 hp more than yours.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I was probably somewhere around 90 and pulling him, when the freakin' Caddy took off like a shot.

Doubt the caddy(unless extremely modded) was spinning all the way to 90mph before he caught traction.

And you all say he weighs more and has the same power. Gearing plays a huge role in a race. I know my first gen Vs geared perfect high rolls(3rd and 4th) with its factory 3.73s and MN12 T56. Ive run side by side with much lighter cars that should have beat me, weight doesnt play as much of a role from a roll as it does from a stop.

If the GT500 has the performance pack it too has a 3:73 final. FYI, the newer generation CTS-Vs have the TR6060 the same transmission that's in the GT500. They don't have the MN12 T56 from the old CTS-Vs. ;-)

As for curb weight, I disagree on that, even from a roll weight plays a big factor. I could post a thousand videos to show you why.

The CTS-V could have had an intake/pulley/tune making it over 550rwhp. If he pulled like that I bet it was making big power.

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
"He was in a new style CTS-V, black, and really detailed out." If he cared enough to detail it out he probably modded the engine also. Nice death. Don't count us old guys out. Some of us have been doing this a long time. :lol:

96supersnake

Established Member
It had to be modded up to leave you like you had the brakes on, no way that is stock, Time for you to get intake, pulley and tune, then you will be ready!!

L82ford

Established Member
Well I did a little investigation this morning. The guy I asked instantly knew the car and started laughing pretty hard - not that I lost to a CTS-V, but that I lost to that particular car and that I didn't recognize who the guy was. The guy gave me a haircut. The car is not stock. Apparently not "just" a pulley and tune either, but I don't know any details yet. At a cruise night a couple of weeks ago the guy saw my GT500 and he tried to get me to schedule a race with him for the following Sunday morning. I've now learned that for Sunday mornings he puts on drag radials. I guess he's been a smart sleeper/sandbagger for decades.

If I get any more info, I'll update.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well I did a little investigation this morning. The guy I asked instantly knew the car and started laughing pretty hard - not that I lost to a CTS-V, but that I lost to that particular car and that I didn't recognize who the guy was. The guy gave me a haircut. The car is not stock. Apparently not "just" a pulley and tune either, but I don't know any details yet. At a cruise night a couple of weeks ago the guy saw my GT500 and he tried to get me to schedule a race with him for the following Sunday morning. I've now learned that for Sunday mornings he puts on drag radials. I guess he's been a smart sleeper/sandbagger for decades.

If I get any more info, I'll update.

Makes a lot more sense! Again, good death.

Users who are viewing this thread