2011 GT/ GT500 Swap

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
So my brother has a 2011 Mustang GT Premium and we were toying with the idea of going a GT500 Engine/Transmission swap. He loves my 13' GT500 but is stuck with his 11 GT. A quick search on Ebay we found a few used GT500 engines/Trans from different year GT500's. Most price ranges were around $9000-$13000. He figures we can probably get about $7-8K for his 5.0 Coyote Engine/MT82 to help fund his swap.
Now the posts I've read were mainly 05-09 GT/GT500 engine swaps. I think I saw one 11' GT that had a 11' GT500 Engine.
What all does he need for it to work with his car?
Would a Engine/Trans with wiring harness be enough or is there other parts he will need?

Thanks

nxhappy

Established Member
why not just put a blower on the GT ? You are going to add a shit load of weight with a GT500 engine....plus it's more work than what you think. Here's a quote from another SVTP member:

Many have said you don't need a PCM and you don't need the body harness or dash harness. However, a lot of changes will need to be made by not having them. I know for a fact that when BBR was trying to sell this motor they were making the same claims, that none of the above was needed just the motor. Whether that was a sales tactic or not on their part I don't know. But if it were me, they would be on the phone explaining to me how that's accomplished.

First off... What 09, Premium or Deluxe? That makes a difference for the traction control module...

Second... You don't need new A/C lines, the A/C lines didn't change until the dual climate control came out in 2010. Then a lot of things changed. And the GT and GT500 use the same ones.

Third... what I would want to finish this swap. Heat Exchanger and pump, all the hoses, a true GT500 radiator (it has a bigger lower opening), 08+ body harness (dash isn't needed unless you want to run the SVT cluster), fuel pumps, second, fuel pump module, PCM, SJB, front fuse box, traction control module, tr6060, drive shaft, heat exchanger tank.

The 08+ body harness is needed in your case, the 07 uses a different door harness. So if you tried to adapt it, your windows and locks wouldn't work...

That's all I can think of right now... I am sure there is more...

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The best way to do the swap is to find a whole donor car of the same/similar year. There are a few ways to do it, but in my opinion, the best way is to swap all the harnesses for a true plug and play result. I think the swap is a great idea, and a big chunk of the cost can be made up in selling the existing powertrain. After selling off my parts, my whole initial swap cost me a little over $3k. Considering what I gained, that's a steal of a deal.

There is another '11 GT out there with an '11 GT500 powertrain, I'd get with him and get as much info as you can on what he had to do.

TERMIN8U!

Established Member
why not just put a blower on the GT ? You are going to add a shit load of weight with a GT500 engine....plus it's more work than what you think.
Because the Ford Racing Whipple 525hp package is about $7500, plus the MT82 is crap and from my understanding pushing the 5.0 over 600hp is asking for it.
Figure a Stock GT500 Engine/Transmission will run about $10,000. Sell the stock 5.0/MT82 for about $8000. $2000 for a 5.4L 550hp Engine/Trans that you can slap a smaller pulley and intake and tune and be about 550rwhp. Plus weight wise, Im sure a stock GT500 engine would weigh about the same as a 5.0 with a Whipple.

Figure the Whipple 625hp package ($7500) Build the 5.0 to handle the boost so Forged Pistons/Rods, Crank ($4000).
New Clutch and pray the MT82 holds up. Before you know it you're probably about $12,000+ into it.

Buy a used GT500 Engine/Transmission ($10,000, -$8000 for the 5.0/MT82= $2,000). Add JLT Intake, Pulley and a Tune ($1,000). You get a reliable engine that can easily handle 600HP for $3000-$5000 when its all said and done.

Last edited:

TERMIN8U!

Established Member
+1 or just buy a gt500.
Because he just bought the car, and owes too much. He'd be upside down and would need to come up with a large down payment. He really likes my 2013 GT500 but figured a GT500 engine swap would be fun in the GT.

jason6488

Established Member
just throw a blower on the 5.0, and id be surprised if you got a 13 - 14 gt500 engine and trans for 10k... really suprised.

TERMIN8U!

Established Member
just throw a blower on the 5.0, and id be surprised if you got a 13 - 14 gt500 engine and trans for 10k... really suprised.

Not a 13-14, but a 07-12 GT500 engine.
Just throwing around the idea, I was reading a few swaps but mostly on older mustangs like fox's and 05-09 GT's.

Tmatt142

Established Member
How much is he upside down on the loan? Either way, you're either losing it right away on being upside down on the trade, or you lose it with all the crap you're going to encounter along the swap further down the line. Piss on it, I'd trade for a 500 or just call Bj and Justin and put a blower on the 5.0. Justin and Bj know the limits of the tranny on the 5.0's. That right there is the cheapest of em all. Wheels/tires, a GT500 spoiler, and bam, looks like a GT500.

Reis racing

Established Member
I vote he just keep the 5.0 cause that's a bad ass motor with power adder, and he can just do the gt500 tranny swap

tvspower

Established Member
Geeeeze Someone who owes a lot on his vehicle better not think what he is thinking.... Get out of debt FIRST and then make changes..... Common sense says pay off the debt and try and save at the same time..... If he has $2--4000 for a swap.. Tell him to put it on his DEBT........

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm with leaving debt alone. Enjoy what he has and call it a day. I have that bad luck. Upside down on the car. Spend 12K to get a GT500 drive train to work. Teenager runs red light and totals car. Your upside down and money tied up in it. Just enjoy until your in a better situation. You'll always enjoy being in a faster car. 5.0 enjoys the Shelby's who enjoy the Ford GT. At the end of the day I would turbo the 5.0 or supercharger. Just couldn't feel good about going through the entire car and still paying on it.

1NA RUN

Established Member
Take the advise of from what I can see is 100% of the post saying don't do it. There is no way he would get 7-8k for his motor and trans. Aside from that, the amount of labor and parts would run him a ton of money, regardless. If he does want more power he'd probably get 4500 for his complete longblock, buy an alumintor and slap on a power adder. He would play with any 13GT500 at that point. My MT82 has held up just fine and I've been north of 700rwhp for over 1 year already. Good luck in which ever direction he heads.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well I see why the swap wants to be done. And yes I have seen 5.0 go over 600 and the clock starts to tick. heck I just witness a Procharge one go boom. I have not known many to do the swap in a newer 11+ GT....just the older ones.

My advice, look around, get the facts, see how much building the 5.0 internals+FI would be, and compare that to a swap cost. Then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread