2011 6 Speed Manual

Schurke

Established Member
Curious about the durability of the new 6 speed that is used in the 2011 Mustang. Also questioning Ford's decision to discontinue the Tremec, which is a very durable trans.
The new trans is made in China. Makes me wonder about the quality, etc. etc. Anyone have any input/info on this new trans.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ford has used the new trans for a few years now in the transit connect van, it's pretty well proven reliable/quality. the previous mustang GT tremec 5 speeds were absolutely nothing to write home about also. it's been well known that your gonna need to replace the box in the GT if your looking at BIG power, and i doubt it will be any different with this trans.

ford is still using tremecs TR6060 in the GT500.

Schurke

Established Member
Tremec

You are correct about the Tremec being made in Mexico, however they have been making the trans for a very long time.
The new trans is a product of the Gertag/Ford co-op. Gertag was one of the sturdiest trans on the market at one time. I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this new trans from China. How long have the Chinese been making this particular trans & has Ford gone the cheap route like they did with the T-56 in the 03/04 Cobras? (10 spline input shafts, cheap syncros, cheap shift linkages) The Viper Tremec is what Ford should have installed in the 03/04. A much stronger trans & VERY durable. I hope Ford learned from their mistakes & made the 2011 GT trans a strong reliable unit. I don't want to spend $30+K on a new GT & then find out I have to spend a truck load more money to make it live when I want to go to "track day".
TISPHO:
I just discovered the link in your response to my original post. Thx for posting that link. I hope that info is 100% accurate. I guess time will tell. Thx again.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
dude, it's a mustang GT. you are NOT gonna get a cobra-grade transmission, and it's understandable why you won't.

Schurke

Established Member
I would hope you are correct in your assessment regarding the cobra trans since this engine produces more horsepower & torque. One would hope that it would be of better quality/durability.

Schurke

Established Member
I hope you are correct in your assessment regarding the cobra trans since this engine produces more horsepower & torque. One would hope that it would be of better quality/durability.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
I hope you are correct in your assessment regarding the cobra trans since this engine produces more horsepower & torque. One would hope that it would be of better quality/durability.

03/04 made more HP and both the 5.0 and 03/04 are rated at 390 tq but the Cobra was underated by a bit

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
your not getting my point, your doubting this transmission vs previous tremec 5 speeds that wouldn't live behind this 5.0l with bolt ons. obviously this transmission is at least as solid as the previous 5 speed tremecs GT transmissions. it certainly won't live up to the 1,000RWHP capabilities of a T56/TR-6060 like is in the cobras/GT500s, but that doesn't mean that it will shatter just because you bolted a CAI on.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
A T56/6060 won't live long at anything near 1000 RWHP with a driver that really tries to push it (like at the drag strip). No OD street tranny will.

I do have hopes for this MT82. If/when I get an 11 GT, I'm pretty sure I can break the tranny (at the track), but hopefully it will prove durable enough that this is a rare event, and not something that happens every 5 or 6 visits (cough*T45*cough*T5*cough).

Erick

Established Member
I would be surprised if Ford regressed with the tranny. Everything else has improved by great lengths in the 2011. I'm staying positive until I see otherwise.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
How about you just drive the car and enjoy it instead of worrying about if the trans or rear is going to hold up? lol

The rear will handle anything you can throw at it, the diff may start slipping after a bit, but nothing usually breaks. The factory axles are 31 spline and are supposed to be forged.

The trans is built by Getrag and has been used for some time now, I don't think there will be many issues unless you're trying to make 600-700+ hp with it. For what most people will be using this car for, you probably won't be able to hurt the drive-train much.

Last edited:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
A carbon fiber driveshaft will also help take some of the shock out of hard launches too if your worried about the life of the trans.

Isn't carbon fiber absolutely rigid and can't flex or twist or deform in any way without permanent damage, wouldn’t you mean an aluminum driveshaft? Carbon fiber would definitely have a weight advantage.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Here is PST's info about one of their CF shafts.
Precision Shaft Technologies, Critical Link

Here is what they say below.

Advantages of Carbon Fiber

•Lighter than steel or aluminum.
•Three times torsional strength of steel.
•Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
•Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
•Less shock load to the differential.
•Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
•Reduces transmission and differential breakage.

•Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
•In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
•ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
•In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
•In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
•Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
•A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Here is PST's info about one of their CF shafts.
Precision Shaft Technologies, Critical Link

Here is what they say below.

Advantages of Carbon Fiber

•Lighter than steel or aluminum.
•Three times torsional strength of steel.
•Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
•Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
•Less shock load to the differential.
•Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
•Reduces transmission and differential breakage.

•Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
•In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
•ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
•In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
•In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
•Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
•A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.

Wow, cool, thanks. (Contrarary to what I heard about the bicycle industry)

Users who are viewing this thread