2011 5.0 at Sebring WOW!!!

Van@RevanRacing

Saturday morning I drove up to Sebring to instruct. NASA usually assigns me students with late model Mustangs and GT500's. I wonder why???

The student had some prior experience and even did a Skip Barber School a number of years ago so I was in hopes that we would just be clearing the cob webs and get down to business and push the car.

This thing was absolutely bone stock. It only had 1,800 miles.

After we worked on our lines and a couple of technique points we were able to start picking up the pace in the 3rd and 4th sessions. Bare in mind that we do 25 minute sessions with NASA Florida.

This car is freakin' awesome and it was bone stock. He had the Brembo brake package and the brakes didn't fade. We worked on late apex and as we progressed he started his turn in a little earlier at times and the car was nimble and would point and go.

Does the car need some modifications for open track, yes! However for a completely stock car I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car performed. It flat out hauls ass!!

After Shelby turns a 5.0 into a GT350 I can only imagine how this car will perform on the street and on the track. If you are on the fence about a 5.0 or a 5.0 conversion to a GT350 and you want a great street machine and an occasional track day toy, Just Do It!! You will love this car.

I've instructed a lot of different people in a lot of different cars of multiple makes and manufacturers. This is hands down one of the best cars I have been able to drive and instruct in. We passed everything on the track with one exception. A Shelby GT500!! I really have to hand it to Ford, they hit a homerun. This car is simply awesome and in the hands of a novice or highly capable driver you cannot go wrong for street or track. I can only imagine how well it will be with some modifications. As a GT350, this car will be sick!! The GT350 Supercharged is going to be a freak show on the road course!!

Now I'm going to start trying to save up some funds and hopefully when the opportunity presents itself there will be an available GT350 CSM Number.

I must have one!!

Absolutely a pony for the stable!! I am thoroughly impressed and I think anybody that gets to drive one will be as well.

Driver72

Established Member
3.73 gear. The lowest gear we use is 3rd and then 4th and 5th. Once I got his to stop rowing the gears his speed and time picked up big time.

What was his peak speed and how often did he have to switch between 3rd and 4th? Also do you know how often he had to go into 5th?

I'm wondering because if he had to go into 5th a few times, but only for short periods of time, and if he had to upshift to 4th on occasion only for a second or so, if the 3.55 gears would of been better suited for that track.
More time in each gear, less shifting time and therefore as you said, faster times.

Van@RevanRacing

What was his peak speed and how often did he have to switch between 3rd and 4th? Also do you know how often he had to go into 5th?

I'm wondering because if he had to go into 5th a few times, but only for short periods of time, and if he had to upshift to 4th on occasion only for a second or so, if the 3.55 gears would of been better suited for that track.
More time in each gear, less shifting time and therefore as you said, faster times.

I think the 3.73 is the proper gear for Sebring. Most of our tracks are high power tracks so the higher RPM on track out really helps. At that power level it makes better sense for the 3.73's IMO. The car tach's up faster and his shifts were crisp. There were only 3 locations where we had a 3 - 4 - 5 gear change. He was also keeping the tach a little low and not revving the car to 7,000. He was short shifting at 5,900 to 6,000. He likely could have kept the 3 -4 -5 shifts down to two straight aways which at Sebring are very long.

Driver72

Established Member
I think the 3.73 is the proper gear for Sebring. Most of our tracks are high power tracks so the higher RPM on track out really helps. At that power level it makes better sense for the 3.73's IMO. The car tach's up faster and his shifts were crisp. There were only 3 locations where we had a 3 - 4 - 5 gear change. He was also keeping the tach a little low and not revving the car to 7,000. He was short shifting at 5,900 to 6,000. He likely could have kept the 3 -4 -5 shifts down to two straight aways which at Sebring are very long.

Interesting, but you know you can keep higher rpms on the track longer with slightly taller gearing.
The 3.73's require more shifting and if there are sweepers or straights where the 3.73's will run out of rpms and require a shift to a higher gear, you'd be better having slightly taller gearing so you can hold the lower gear longer without the need for shifts.

I'd love to see a driver in lap the track in an equally equipped 3.55 and 3.73 car to see which laps better.
The 3.73 gearing may offer a tiny bit more thrust on some straights, but if it requires extra shifting, the 3.55 car will actually lap quicker.
Same holds for downshifts.

There may be times where in the 3.73 car you need to downshift to 3rd because of revs, but in the 3.55 car you could get 2nd and use those extra 300-400 rpms up near the power peak instead.

It would surely be an interesting test.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
In the 2011 5th is 1:1 so the 3.73s should be about perfect. Using gears 3,4 and 5 is where you want to be. Without doing the math, that should be right near 140 at the top of 5th.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Interesting, but you know you can keep higher rpms on the track longer with slightly taller gearing.
The 3.73's require more shifting and if there are sweepers or straights where the 3.73's will run out of rpms and require a shift to a higher gear, you'd be better having slightly taller gearing so you can hold the lower gear longer without the need for shifts.

I'd love to see a driver in lap the track in an equally equipped 3.55 and 3.73 car to see which laps better.
The 3.73 gearing may offer a tiny bit more thrust on some straights, but if it requires extra shifting, the 3.55 car will actually lap quicker.
Same holds for downshifts.

There may be times where in the 3.73 car you need to downshift to 3rd because of revs, but in the 3.55 car you could get 2nd and use those extra 300-400 rpms up near the power peak instead.

It would surely be an interesting test.

I have 3.73's on my GT500 and I will likely be switching to 3.55's soon because of this very reason, too much power. The engine and the Kenne Bell Supercharger spool up so fast on the 3.73's it is just ridiculous.

I've got thousands of laps at Sebring and I think if the student tach'd the car higher in 3 - 4 - 5 he would have had that car singing. He was trying to get used to the gear box and I also think he was holding back a little bit with his new toy which is understandable.

The 3.55 version will likely be seen at the track in the near future I am sure. I will be careful to take copious notes.

Van@RevanRacing

Now with Video

Here's the video from last weekend at Sebring in the 5.0

Last lap starting at around the 5:58 mark. Looks like a 2:42 second lap time bone stock. That's movin' folks. American Iron cars had slower times than that!!!

And he had me in the car instructing him so it could have been faster with the extra 180 lbs out of the car.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=upfcMaS2aFk

Enjoy

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Thanks for the video Van! Its obvious that Ford did a great job with this mustang, is there still a need to play with the suspension if you were to track it now and then?

Do you believe the 3600 ss kit from griggs would be an valuable upgrade to the stock 11 mustang gt suspension. Why or why not?

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for the video Van! Its obvious that Ford did a great job with this mustang, is there still a need to play with the suspension if you were to track it now and then?

Do you believe the 3600 ss kit from griggs would be an valuable upgrade to the stock 11 mustang gt suspension. Why or why not?

For a little track time now and then I think the car would be great with some minor modifications. Lowering the vehicle which reduces the roll center would help it pick up some time on the track.

I think the SS kit from Griggs with watts link and some track tires along with a tune and an off road exhaust, the car is gonna fly!!!

It's a great platform for the street and track toy. Simply awesome.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
faster than AI cars?! i find that hard to believe, but i know you obviously wouldn't lie about that, lol. that's just absolutely insane!

i would LOVE to see what a 100% stock car would do with the addition of a griggs SLA + torque arm and watts. with a completely stock engine, maybe a tune to bump the rev limiter, and only the addition of the griggs set up, i bet this thing will lay down some mind blowing lap times!

RedlineHP

Established Member
Van, I said SAI should have built the GT350's with the Griggs and keep it N/A. Then run it at some events under there banner.
Who could be there driver? I'm sure you know someone!
I sure they will have a R model for you.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
You gotta link to some of these parts and what they do? Im kinda a noob when it comes to mustangs.
here you go...
Griggs Racing Products

REALLY expensive, but absolutely amazing! they convert the front macphereson strut to a short-long arm(double wishbone) and the rear from 4 link/3 link + panhard(depending on the year of course) to a torque arm with watts link. basically, make the suspension front and rear a LOT(!!!) better.
in fact, there is an anual open road race in PA(i believe it's PA), and every year griggs has ran a car they've gotten first place. and this is against ferraris and porsches!
bottom line, this is the best suspension system money can buy for a mustang(aside from a full custom piece of course). they currently make systems for '64-'70 and '79-'10 mustangs with the '11 systems no doubt in development(though i'm not sure they will even have to change anything, the chassis should be identicle between the '10s and '11s).

Van@RevanRacing

Van, I said SAI should have built the GT350's with the Griggs and keep it N/A. Then run it at some events under there banner.
Who could be there driver? I'm sure you know someone!
I sure they will have a R model for you.

A brother can dream!!!!!!!!!!!

faster than AI cars?! i find that hard to believe, but i know you obviously wouldn't lie about that, lol. that's just absolutely insane!

i would LOVE to see what a 100% stock car would do with the addition of a griggs SLA + torque arm and watts. with a completely stock engine, maybe a tune to bump the rev limiter, and only the addition of the griggs set up, i bet this thing will lay down some mind blowing lap times!

AI cars were lapping at 2:44 +/- and this guy slapped a 2:42 down. AI is really limited in power and weight. Sebring is a big power track. Get on a shorter and tighter track and the AI cars are going to out perform.

You gotta link to some of these parts and what they do? Im kinda a noob when it comes to mustangs.

I've had all of the other stuff. Griggs is the best. Period. First I was customer and then I became a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread