2011/12 vs 2013

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So I randomly saw a used '11 GT500 coupe on a lot today and stopped in to take a look just to see it up close. Called my bank afterwards and got a pre-approval for less than 4% interest. I was between work appointments and didn't have time for much else.

So now I'm seriously considering trading my '03 Cobra vert with 69K on the clock for one of these. I did some more searching and it seems like I'll be able to get one with 1k-8k miles for mid-40s, maybe a little less. I'm very well aware of the spec changes on the 2013s and am wondering what if there are others who have been on the fence about it. Yes, the 2013 is substantially upgraded but it's also mid-50s and I can't justify that much on a car I'll drive once a week. I have a company car that I drive 90% of the time.

What's everyone's take on finding a deal on an '11/'12 or wait a year or two for the prices to come down on 2013s?

breoland

Established Member
Depending on how good of a deal u r getting on an 11... i would just buy a 13.
When you get down to better parts between the 2, hands down the 13 is it
Better rear end...better trans...better blower...better driveshaft..better ic and pump and better cams
buy the time u add that to an 11 or 12... u were better off buying a 13
If u plan on buying an 11 and leaving it alone (which is nearly impossible) then go for it

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
^^^ anyone else have trouble reading this?

Don't get the 11 if what you really want is a 13. If you will be satisfied with either then just get the 11 IMO.

Blackmax

Established Member
So I randomly saw a used '11 GT500 coupe on a lot today and stopped in to take a look just to see it up close. Called my bank afterwards and got a pre-approval for less than 4% interest. I was between work appointments and didn't have time for much else.

So now I'm seriously considering trading my '03 Cobra vert with 69K on the clock for one of these. I did some more searching and it seems like I'll be able to get one with 1k-8k miles for mid-40s, maybe a little less. I'm very well aware of the spec changes on the 2013s and am wondering what if there are others who have been on the fence about it. Yes, the 2013 is substantially upgraded but it's also mid-50s and I can't justify that much on a car I'll drive once a week. I have a company car that I drive 90% of the time.

What's everyone's take on finding a deal on an '11/'12 or wait a year or two for the prices to come down on 2013s?

If you have a company car I'd be looking at Bull's car for $38,000.00 or another car that someone has poured a ton of money into and needs to sell.You will save $30,000 and have a way superior car to boot. :beer:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Depending on how good of a deal u r getting on an 11... i would just buy a 13.
When tpu get down to better parts between the 2 hands down 13 is it
Better rear end...better trans...better blower...better driveshaft..better ic and pump and better cams
buy the time u add that to an 11 or 12... u were better off buying a 13
If u plan on buying an 11 and leaving it alone (which is nearly impossible) then go for it

I would say the opposite, if you plan on leaving it stock go for the 13. Get a deal on a 11/12 whipple or KB it and the 13 will be seeing tail lights. Then the upgrades on the 13 don't seem so great in comparison. If I could do it over again I would have bought a 10 and used the extra money to mod the heck out of it. When I got mine I planned on leaving it stock, it never turns out that way whatever one you decide to go with.

whiplash920

Established Member
I would say the opposite, if you plan on leaving it stock go for the 13. Get a deal on a 11/12 whipple or KB it and the 13 will be seeing tail lights. Then the upgrades on the 13 don't seem so great in comparison. If I could do it over again I would have bought a 10 and used the extra money to mod the heck out of it. When I got mine I planned on leaving it stock, it never turns out that way whatever one you decide to go with.

i am in the process of doing just that with my 10'. :beer:

breoland

Established Member
^^^ Used 11 plus a TVS and you are at 13 power in 3k instantly.

Not exactly true...you would have to change drive shaft to a one piece...and if you are foing toupgrade to a tvs you should upgrade the heat exchanger...

With all the nice upgrades the 13 has tou wouldnt have ro change anything

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
If there are low mile '11/'12s then there will eventually be low mile '13/'14s. The carbon-fiber driveshaft, better brakes, launch control, vastly improved cooling, slightly upgraded pistons/valves, & gt cams are what give me pause. Those items aren't cheap and in the case of launch control can't be added to the '11s/'12s. I watched the SVT Media Launch video and they re-tuned the whole chassis for the increased power.

I thought that maybe the slightly lower compression of the 5.4 might be desirable for increased boost in light of Evo's recently popped 5.8 but after reading further they were abusing the hell out of that car and looking for its limits.

In the end I'm probably kidding myself, I just don't have the time to tinker with these things like I did a few years ago. Big mods mean down-time and wasted weekends, so another 1-2 year wait for a low-mile '13 DIB it is...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Not exactly true...you would have to change drive shaft to a one piece...and if you are foing toupgrade to a tvs you should upgrade the heat exchanger...

With all the nice upgrades the 13 has tou wouldnt have ro change anything

Why would you have to change the drive shaft?

breoland

Established Member
Why would you have to change the drive shaft?

Because its a 2 piece steal drive shaft that would snap with extra power or with a sticky tire

the 13 gt500 has a one piece carbon fibor driveshaft that also helps with 60' times

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Because its a 2 piece steal drive shaft that would snap with extra power or with a sticky tire

the 13 gt500 has a one piece carbon fibor driveshaft that also helps with 60' times

Humm at what power levels do these start snapping? I just did a bunch of upgrades. Posi ported blower, plenum and TB and a 2.4 pulley. JLT carbon fiber intake, kooks full length headers, o/r xpipe, corsa mufflers, snow water/meth, nitrous (plan on running 175 shot). Wideband, gauges, D&D rebuilt tranny, RXT clutch, etc. Oh and I have some sticky tires, MT ET streets. So you're saying my drive shaft is going to snap in two as soon as I get my tune and nail it?

08blkshelby

Established Member

I consistently cut 1.56-1.59 60', 571rwhp and no weight reduction at all. Drive shaft has hold up pretty good. I haven't heard of anybody breaking their stock drive shaft:shrug:

backinastang

Established Member
People that justified spending the extra money will always think it is worth buying a 13. I personally don't like the new rear lights and the front grill. I do, however, like the launch control and the new TVS. I bought my 11 for $43,000 with 2,800 miles. It has every option minus the glass roof. A similar 13 would cost $64,000. That's $21k in my pocket. A TVS 2.3, new HE and a tune is $3,000 if I buy the S/C from ford. They make around 625-650 rwhp at 17 lbs with a 93 oct tune. If you run on an open course the brake upgrade is nice. For 1/4 the 3.73s and 2.97 first gear will make the 11/12 faster in the 1/4.

A set of cheater slicks pretty much takes care of the traction issue. I went through this process and decided to buy a used 11. Partly because I didn't want to wait and partly because sports car depreciate fast. I waited a year and bought a low milage 11 for 13.5 k under sticker. That talks to me.

Also, I love the Kona blue and it's no longer available. 550 hp is pretty hard to hook on the street. It fun as hell and with the bump in GT pricing, it's about 5-6 k more than a loaded 5.0. I think I will mod mine and leave the 13 alone.

I am looking forward to the 15s. I'd love to buy a 3,500 lbs one in 2016 for 10k under msrp with independent rear, and a direct injected 5.0 with dual turbos.

I'm a bit of a tight wod and would never pay MSRP for a car. I waited until the hype was slowing and bought my 11 GT 5.0 for $4,500 under msrp new. They wouldn't budge on the GT500 on the show room at the time.

Enjoy the fact that a lot of people dumped there 11/12 GT500 to buy a 13. It softened the market and gave some of us a prime market to buy a great car for cheap.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
If you have to have one now I would buy an 07/08 for low 30's and slap on a TVS and a good suspension - approx 35k all in.

If you have to have a newer one then I would wait for prices to fall further...

Users who are viewing this thread