2010 Shelby GT500 - Unvieled.......

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I saw your post & your explanation was okay. But, the fact of the matter is IRS will always be superior to an SRA if the car must do more then just travel in a straight line. No offense to you but any argument proving otherwise is just your opinion. I like facts & facts show... An IRS > SRA.

there are a few vids out there of a sra mustang(450wrhp) running times competitive with irs f430, gallardo, 996 gt3. but this is on a normal street. would the irs be better suited for the track?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That is funny you should say that. The only time a SRA cars handles better then a IRS equipped car is at the drag strip....

Please elaborate on how a silod axle performs better then the IRS on anything but a straight line... ? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

considering the gt500 outperforms the 03/04 svt in handling(turning) in such test as slalom and skidpad i would say that is a great indication how the live corners better than the old irs in the 03/04 svt.

Formula51

Established Member
considering the gt500 outperforms the 03/04 svt in handling(turning) in such test as slalom and skidpad i would say that is a great indication how the live corners better than the old irs in the 03/04 svt.

There is a lot more affecting those times than the rear axle design. Not the least of which is chassis stiffness, wheelbase and track, center of gravity height, tire size and compound, shocks, springs, and swaybars. You are talking about two completely different cars.

The question you must ask yourself is would the GT500 turn even better lap times if it had the properly setup IRS its chassis was designed for?

Ford should atleast go to a proper torque arm/panhard bar setup if they are going to keep the SRA for a while longer. Why they didn't do this in 2005 is beyond me.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member

If you just want to look a slalom and skidpap #'s I don't think the GT500's #'s were that much better than a Terminators. Like the poster above me said it has more to do with the new chassis and improved front suspension than the rearend as to why a S197 handles better than a IRS Cobra. A GT500 looks like it has much more body roll and brake dive than a Terminator.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
I like it a ton more than the GT500 now. The wheels are leaps and bounds better than the ones now. The car doesn't look at bulky as the ones now do.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If you just want to look a slalom and skidpap #'s I don't think the GT500's #'s were that much better than a Terminators. Like the poster above me said it has more to do with the new chassis and improved front suspension than the rearend as to why a S197 handles better than a IRS Cobra. A GT500 looks like it has much more body roll and brake dive than a Terminator.

did kevin not say that the 03/04 was better because it had irs? i was disputing this claim. basically saying the 03/04 is inferior to the live axle gt500. he was comparing cars not actual irs vs live axle technologies.

personally i would rather have a properly set up live axle and save 200lbs than a properly set up irs. hell i would rather have n/a al block as well(450hp mustang gt w/ sla and torque arm at 3600lb vs 600hp gt500 w/ irs at 4000lb). those that still see the comical irs set up in the 03/04 as any sort of performance advantage are just blind. just because one has irs is not automatic competition with purpose built sports cars in handling.

we have already seen what the 450rwhp mustang live axle can do on track and street against the c6 z06, f430, gallardo, and 996 gt3.

Jroc

Established Member
did kevin not say that the 03/04 was better because it had irs? i was disputing this claim. basically saying the 03/04 is inferior to the live axle gt500. he was comparing cars not actual irs vs live axle technologies.

personally i would rather have a properly set up live axle and save 200lbs than a properly set up irs. hell i would rather have n/a al block as well(450hp mustang gt w/ sla and torque arm at 3600lb vs 600hp gt500 w/ irs at 4000lb). those that still see the comical irs set up in the 03/04 as any sort of performance advantage are just blind. just because one has irs is not automatic competition with purpose built sports cars in handling.

we have already seen what the 450rwhp mustang live axle can do on track and street against the c6 z06, f430, gallardo, and 996 gt3.

IDK what Kevin said other than a IRS is superior to a SRA for handling. But yes I agree that a GT500 is a better car than a Terminator.

What do you mean comical IRS? The only thing you could really say is unusual about it is it uses a subframe. I've owned SRA Mustangs and driven plenty and I can tell you that the IRS does a much better job of keeping the rearend under control that a 4link. Trust me if I preferred a SRA to the IRS I would run one, and I'm not keeping the IRS for ride quality. If you want to talk comical how about a new $46K performance car with a stick axle. Saying a 450 rwhp Mustang with any rearend will just take it to all those highend cars you mentioned your talking about a race car. I don't care if Griggs claims its street legel or not, it ain't as streetable as those cars, and its probably running faster than them on some smooth, flat track.

People put SRA's on Vette that want to turn single digit ET's and lift the front wheels way off the ground. They don't add SRA's to improve the cars handling.

Basically I'm arguing because I'm getting tired of people on here acting like my car is some total dog in a turn. Even stock its not a slot car,(neither is a S197) but its not going to just roll over on its face. If you want to to talk skidpad and slalom #'s I believe most magazines were averaging around .90 g's on the skidpad and around 65/66 MPH in a slalom. Those aren't supercar #'s but their not that bad for a car as noise heavy as a Terminator.

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-144282678259197538&q=cobra&pl=true]Car and Driver 2003 SVT Cobra review[/ame]

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Let's face this fact at least. If not for the success Terminator, the current GT500 would most likely have been equipped with a NA 5.4 liter making about 340hp. Give credit where credit is do. I always looked at the Terminators as a huge leap forward from Ford, thanks to Colletti, and more of a prototype for things to come since it was a very revolutionary way to go. Especially in the domestic front, the factory supercharged engine has become so popular now that everyone is getting in on the action. Just look at the ZR1. Now I know that the Terminator is not the first factory supercharged car, and is not even the first one from Ford, but it was the first one to throw the gauntlet down at some serious supercars of that time. Lets just hope that Ford keeps improving from model to model to the point that we have the same arguments about performance between two different models every time there is a significant change.

-Jeff

chuckstang

Established Member
I saw your post & your explanation was okay. But, the fact of the matter is IRS will always be superior to an SRA if the car must do more then just travel in a straight line. No offense to you but any argument proving otherwise is just your opinion. I like facts & facts show... An IRS > SRA.

03/04 Cobra IRS < 07+SRA

chuckstang

Established Member
There is a lot more affecting those times than the rear axle design. Not the least of which is chassis stiffness, wheelbase and track, center of gravity height, tire size and compound, shocks, springs, and swaybars. You are talking about two completely different cars.

The question you must ask yourself is would the GT500 turn even better lap times if it had the properly setup IRS its chassis was designed for?

Ford should atleast go to a proper torque arm/panhard bar setup if they are going to keep the SRA for a while longer. Why they didn't do this in 2005 is beyond me.

Because they don't need to.

My SRA setup with a watts link handles unbelievable, I mean incredible.

chuckstang

Established Member
I did not own an 03/04 but my 99 IRS even modded was a pathetic JOKE.

Hey, another plus for us guys with the new SRA, we not only handle better but dont have to worry about broken half shafts :D

Formula51

Established Member
hell i would rather have n/a al block as well(450hp mustang gt w/ sla and torque arm at 3600lb...

Not a Mustang GT, but you can get that very easily and cheaply in a cam-only 4th Gen F-body. And at a weight of less than 3,400# too! Sorry, I couldn't resist.:rolling:

:beer:Here's hoping the 2011 GT and GT500 get a torque arm rear suspension setup at the very least. I doubt you are going to see sla anytime soon (if ever).

Formula51

Established Member
Because they don't need to.

That statement is just plain stupid. How can you call yourself a performance enthusiast and not want Ford to use a fundamentally better rear suspension setup, be it a torque arm setup or an IRS.

Do you actually do any performance driving with your car? No, the street or a parking lot does not count.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I did not own an 03/04 but my 99 IRS even modded was a pathetic JOKE.

Hey, another plus for us guys with the new SRA, we not only handle better but dont have to worry about broken half shafts :D

Can you please give a few more specifics? What is modded? The only thing I ever found worse with the IRS than a SRA Mustangs with both stock rearends is the IRS would wheelhop easier and of course that will break a IRS faster than a SRA.

I guess what your saying is someone like Bruce is full of shit with his bushing kit? :shrug:

A IRS is much more composed during say emergency manuvuers.(spelling)

Take for example if a kid runs out infront of your car so you snatch your wheel to the left to miss hitting him. At this point everything is cool, you've missed the kid. Now your precented with another problem, your in a lane with oncoming traffic right infront of you, and your cars still being affected by the load of jerking it over to miss the kid. This is where a IRS starts to shine and a SRA starts looking poor. A IRS is much more composed and less likely to have the rearend come around on you when going directly from this extreme to that extreme. Trust me I've have to do emergency manuvuers in both IRS and SRA Mustangs and the IRS does much better when you have to bring the car back inline and correct the manuvuer. The IRS advantage doesn't just apply to emergency manuvuers its just a good example.

Users who are viewing this thread