2010 shelby gt500 starts right up then dies??

griz_83ho

Established Member
So recently did a kb2.8 swap on my 2010 shelby and upon starting it tonight to test everything and get it ready to tune I found the car to start right up then die 2 seconds or so later. Car has stage 3 kb2.8 set up with afco heat exchanger, 72lb injectors and that's about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
did u get a start up tune for the new TB/Injectors?

griz_83ho

Established Member
Did not, asked the tuner and he said it should start and at idle run to test heat exchanger, etc.

griz_83ho

Established Member
No, knew it wouldn't drive, but thought it would start and possible idle just to check everything out before it was tuned. So car dying at start up is due to no tune correct? Just want to make sure it's not anything else I'm missing.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
It should run and idle don't listen to these guys, you must have a vacuum leak against the firewall area on the driver side... I've done multiple big blower swaps and the cars start right up on stock tune hunt for idle then become fine, stock tune is enough to idle

DGladhill

Established Member
It should run and idle don't listen to these guys, you must have a vacuum leak against the firewall area on the driver side... I've done multiple big blower swaps and the cars start right up on stock tune hunt for idle then become fine, stock tune is enough to idle

I did the same install < 2 months ago and the car went into limp mode ( doing same thing as OP ) as I tried starting it with the stock tune. As soon as I loaded up the KB tune it fired right up with 0 issues.

No, knew it wouldn't drive, but thought it would start and possible idle just to check everything out before it was tuned. So car dying at start up is due to no tune correct? Just want to make sure it's not anything else I'm missing.

Kit should have come with a tune from KB to get it up and running, did you buy it used?

griz_83ho

Established Member
I do have the SCT programmer with the tunes on it but the 72lb injectors were purchased after the fact so the programmer was done without taking those into account. As you can tell this is new to me so bare with me and my questions.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
The car will idle with a blower swap and stock tune. It may not idle if the MAF is significantly different from stock (likely your #1 issue) and it won't idle worth a crap with different injectors and a stock tune. As mentioned, talk with your calibrator. And a basic lesson here... Speak with them before you buy and install stuff. I hear it weekly... "I wish I'd spoken to you guys first". Air or fuel that goes beyond the scope of what the system can accommodate will almost certainly be a problem.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
The car will idle with a blower swap and stock tune. It may not idle if the MAF is significantly different from stock (likely your #1 issue) and it won't idle worth a crap with different injectors and a stock tune. As mentioned, talk with your calibrator. And a basic lesson here... Speak with them before you buy and install stuff. I hear it weekly... "I wish I'd spoken to you guys first". Air or fuel that goes beyond the scope of what the system can accommodate will almost certainly be a problem.

wise advice from BJ.....

griz_83ho

Established Member
Learning more and more as I do this stuff and appreciate the input. As far as MAF goes I put the original one back in as the tuner told me to.

DGladhill

Established Member

When you say that, do you mean just the blower? He stated it was a stage 3 which includes the big TB/CAI/etc. Mine would fire up for about 5-6 seconds, shimmy off and die and throw the limp mode on when I didn't have the tune uploaded.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
When you say that, do you mean just the blower? He stated it was a stage 3 which includes the big TB/CAI/etc. Mine would fire up for about 5-6 seconds, shimmy off and die and throw the limp mode on when I didn't have the tune uploaded.

The blower has nothing to do with it at idle, only under boost. The size of the MAF, injectors, those make a big difference (as in your *&^% won't run). The only way a TB will cause that at idle is if the voltage is fubar'ed and the blade is closed to the point that it won't idle.....or actual angle is WAY off from commanded angle.

bj

Users who are viewing this thread