2010 GT500 Questions : Used to own 4 Cobras, might want back in :)

nuxx

Established Member
Well long time since I've posted here. :rolling:

Little background I used to own a 96, 01, 03 10th, and 04 Mystichrome Cobras. I then went on to an Audi S4 for the last four years.

I'm ready for a new car and have been strongly considering an 09 M3... but I sort of the like the '10 GT500 now, I wasn't too interested in the previous GT500 styling.

Some quick questions:
1. When are th '10 GT500 due out?
2. Can you lease these cars? I purchased my first 4 Cobras, and leased the S4. Really like leasing more now, but purchase wouldn't be a problem.
3. What sort of power can be expected from simple mods to the '10? I had a lot done to my '04, ported stock sc, upper/lower pullies, chipped, full exhaust, etc...

That's pretty much it for the time being :)

Last edited:

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
They are due out soon, I think some people already have the 2010 Mustang GTs. I would imagine the Shelbies will be out by August if not sooner.

As for leasing? No, I'd be surprised if you could lease a special production car like that. Dealerships in general are cutting down on leasing all over the board, let alone on special production models. I'm not saying you CANT lease it...im just saying you PROBABLY can't =)

And with 'simple mods' to a 2010 you'll be in the mid to high 11s in the 1/4...if not faster. You'd probably want to leave it stock, or you'll need a rollcage if you go any faster :)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
well if you plan to mod the car dont plan to lease it, you pretty much just bought the car if you mod it, cause that would Void the lease, at least from what i know from fords.

nuxx

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys, good info... been out of the Cobra market for a while :)

Dave07997S

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys, good info... been out of the Cobra market for a while :)

I am currently in a 07 997S and I am waiting to see what is in store for 2011. I just drove a 09 M3 6MT (don't want the DCT) and I left thoroughly impressed. I had 2 E46M3's before my 997 and I just love the way the new 2010 GT500 looks..it's just the M3 feels like a fighter jet while the GT500 feels like a Fighter Bomber. In other words the M3 feels like a F16 while the GT500 feels like a F15E. Both very capable but the M3 feels so much lighter on its feet. I don't know where BMW got 3700lbs for the M3, I saw a 08 on the scales getting corner balanced and it was just a hair over 3500lbs. The 997 feels in a different league all together. I am just to the point I don't want to spend 60K+ on a car anymore.

Dave

SpdPilot

Established Member
I am currently in a 07 997S and I am waiting to see what is in store for 2011. I just drove a 09 M3 6MT (don't want the DCT) and I left thoroughly impressed. I had 2 E46M3's before my 997 and I just love the way the new 2010 GT500 looks..it's just the M3 feels like a fighter jet while the GT500 feels like a Fighter Bomber. In other words the M3 feels like a F16 while the GT500 feels like a F15E. Both very capable but the M3 feels so much lighter on its feet. I don't know where BMW got 3700lbs for the M3, I saw a 08 on the scales getting corner balanced and it was just a hair over 3500lbs. The 997 feels in a different league all together. I am just to the point I don't want to spend 60K+ on a car anymore.

Dave

I think Dave makes a Good Point. If you have been away from Mustangs for a few years, especially driving an Audi, you have forgotten that Mustangs (forgive me my brothers) are not nearly as refined. They are fun, brutal power. I would compare the M3 vs. GT500 like this.... In an old west shootout, one guy has a quick draw Colt 45 and the other guy has a good old double barrel shotgun. The shotgun guy may night be as pretty and nimble, but if it manages to hit you with both barrels, you are going to die and it's likely to get very messy. And when you win, no one has any respect for the shotgun guy, not like the fancy gun fighter, but ultimately he is still very dead.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Don't get me wrong, 10+ models are way ahead of the 04 Cobra's on every level. Much more driveable, but it does wear on some. The power level is way above an 04 once the mods begin. Not uncommon to see 700-800hp GT500's with normal daily drivers.

Last edited:

nuxx

Established Member

Great write up Dave :)

I personally would love a 997 turbo, but my wife would divorce me the moment I signed :X

I think Dave makes a Good Point. If you have been away from Mustangs for a few years, especially driving an Audi, you have forgotten that Mustangs (forgive me my brothers) are not nearly as refined. They are fun, brutal power. I would compare the M3 vs. GT500 like this.... In an old west shootout, one guy has a quick draw Colt 45 and the other guy has a good old double barrel shotgun. The shotgun guy may night be as pretty and nimble, but if it manages to hit you with both barrels, you are going to die and it's likely to get very messy. And when you win, no one has any respect for the shotgun guy, not like the fancy gun fighter, but ultimately he is still very dead.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Don't get me wrong, 10+ models are way ahead of the 04 Cobra's on every level. Much more driveable, but it does wear on some. The power level is way above an 04 once the mods begin. Not uncommon to see 700-800hp GT500's with normal daily drivers.

I think it's part of me missing the fun of driving the Cobras. I don't really remember how the Cobras were besides the power, which is the most memorable.

My wife has a GL450, and we take that the most. It's really more a toy for me. I guess when the GT500s come out I'll go drive one and see what I think. Otherwise I was pretty impressed with the M3 test drive :)

chuckstang

Established Member
I really want to know if you can lease GT500s and how much it costs?

I'd love to have a new SVT Cobra/GT500 each new model year if I can swing the payments

As for modding, just only do mods you can return to stock, they would never know?

Users who are viewing this thread