2010 GT500 Hellion "Hellraiser" on the way...

GarageLogic

Established Member
First off, let me thank all of the folks on this and other boards who have provided me their feedback and advice. I truly appreciate all the input you have given.

Now, on to the reason for the post. As some of you know, I previously owned a 2007 GT500 equipped with a Stage III Kenne Bell (which, BTW, I could not have been happier with) and a few other goodies. Back at the end of June, I removed most of the aftermarket goodies off that car and took it back to stock before trading it in on the 2010. It had been my intention to simply transfer the KenneBell, coilovers and other goodies over to the new car.

Well, after much debate and realizing that I would have to make some significant modifications to the stuff I had, to make it fit correctly on the 2010, and a desire to have something a little more off the beaten path with the 2010, I elected to instead sell the stuff I had taken off the 2007 and go a different route in my quest for better performance.

After consulting with several people with much more knowledge and experience than I have, I elected to take the turbo plunge. Not only are turbo's an efficient means of boosting power, they could also be installed without making any changes to the car at all. (i.e. no hood notching, no special k-members, no relocation of parts, etc.)

The system I have elected to go with is the Hellion "Hellraiser" system for the GT500. I know there are two or three folks on this board who already have this system on their cars, but unless I missed it, I think this will be the first 2010 with the system in place.

Obviously, one of the factors in making this change was being able to do it with little or no out-of-pocket expense greater than what I was able to sell my other stuff for. I am pleased to say that the mission was accomplished with a little help from some friends and EBay.

I am hoping to make in the neighborhood of around 700-750rwhp on pump gas with this kit in place, but as long as it makes at least as much as I was making with the KB on pump gas in the 2007 (~650rwhp), I will certainly be happy. The kit is scheduled to be shipped from Hellion on Monday, and I hope to have everything installed and tuned by the end of October. If that is the case, I hope to get a few runs in with the new setup before Beech Bend closes for the season.

For those running the kit already, are there any last words of wisdom you would give me that have not already been covered regaridng this kit?

Last edited:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
you will make the power you are looking for with little effort. the delivery of the power is what will be shocking to you, it is a blast:beer:

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
So they make a '10 Hellion kit now?!! Or are you modifying the 07-09 one to fit yours???

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
you will make the power you are looking for with little effort. the delivery of the power is what will be shocking to you, it is a blast:beer:

Hey did you hook your TT's up to an aftermarket 3" exhaust? Bc they sell it to hook up to the 2.5 stocker.... if so, did you have to make modifications?

GarageLogic

Established Member
So they make a '10 Hellion kit now?!! Or are you modifying the 07-09 one to fit yours???
I don't know that there is any difference in the two kits, seeing that not much changed under the hood or with the chassis between the '07-'09 models and the 2010. As we get into the install, we may find that the kit needs some minor/subtle adjustments, but neither I nor Hellion anticipate any significant issues.

The install will be done by a reputable shop and will be getting some magazine coverage, as well. Once I am free to share all the details, I will.

skyhighsd

Established Member
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how you like the differences between the two set ups. Also congrats on the magazine coverage, nice little bonus:beer:

AlanSVT

Established Member
I am definitely going to be following your thread. Cause I think when the time comes I will be going this route.

Alan

que4dog

Established Member
You will love it. I know I do. I will post pics of mine as soon as I take a break and stop working on my many projects.

GarageLogic

Established Member
Well, Dynospeed just finished making the baseline pull on the car, here are the results:

2010GT500Baseline.jpg

That's a little more than I was expecting at the wheels from a car that is rated by the factory at 540HP at the crank.

Now the fun begins.:rockon:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Hey did you hook your TT's up to an aftermarket 3" exhaust? Bc they sell it to hook up to the 2.5 stocker.... if so, did you have to make modifications?

no mine is through the stock pipes.

again i will state to the op, this is a fun kit that is not limited by upper and lower pullies:beer: i have a build in mind that is just going to be insane but even in stock form the kit makes good power and you do not have to worry about the other guy being set up like you!

GarageLogic

Established Member
Just got through speaking with Joe @ Dynospeed. The turbo's are mounted, so they're about half way through the install. They still need to wire up the scavenger pumps and install the charge pipes. Joe is thinking they should be able to fire the car on Monday and start tuning before Wednesday, as long as they don't have any unforeseen problems. So far, according to what I was told, the install has been very straight-forward with little or no issues.

At this point, they're just making sure everything under the car has the proper clearances and there are not any interference/rattling issues with what is already on the car.

The next seven days are going to seem like an eternity.

GarageLogic

Established Member
UPDATE: The system is installed and the car fired right up and settled to idle with no issues at all. It is going up on the rollers this afternoon to begin the tuning process.

Users who are viewing this thread