2009 GT500 is throwing gas back at me

latinheat1018

Established Member
Usually this problem occurs with cars with headers. The issue is the header and x-pipe or H-pipe are longer than the original down pipe from the exhaust manifolds. This makes you shove the mid-pipe that goes over the axle shift rearward. As it moves reward it gets too close to the EVAP lines and melts them. To fix this you may need to cut the pipe shorter at the connection at the mid-pipe. The way to tell if this is what caused the problem is to look at the muffler hangers. If they are not hanging down freely, but are hanging with them angled to the rear then you know the header or h-pipe, x-pipe are too long and shoving the mid-pipe to the rear of the car. As the mid-pipe is shoved to the rear of the car, the hump in the pipe as it to goes over the axle comes in contact with the EVAP lines.

I could definitely see this being a problem. My pipes look like they sit at the right length. The solution I posted in the original post just seemed a lot easier than having a muffler shop shorten my pipes. Not to mention that the exhaust tips wouldn't be as visually appealing as they are now. But you're absolutely right about the hump making contact with the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
For some reason I can't post pictures here.
But upon further inspection I definitely found the problem. It's the bigger evap line that has the vent to the gas tank. Even with the heat wrap it was touching the exhaust pipe. The hose melted flat and pretty much fused with the wrapping. What's confusing to me is that there is plenty of room to route the lines away from the exhaust system down there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I'd be interested in seeing pics of where the hose is if you can get any up. I am having the same issue and was actually under the rear yesterday looking for any melty hoses. I didn't see anything but have had the fueling issues for some time.

latinheat1018

Established Member
I'd be interested in seeing pics of where the hose is if you can get any up. I am having the same issue and was actually under the rear yesterday looking for any melty hoses. I didn't see anything but have had the fueling issues for some time.

I'm taking it apart again on Wednesday to add more and better heat wrap as well as to make sure the lines are staying off the exhaust pipe. I'll take some pictures then and post

yellow03cobra

Established Member
same thing happened to mine. Fixed it with some hose and clamps I had lying around and zip tied it out of the way. There is some kind of plugged in sensor back there and I carefully cut off the tubing on one side of it and made the new line from that to the tank. Held nicely so far.

latinheat1018

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply on this. Time and weather didn't allow me to work on the car.

It's hard to take pictures of the location. I did the best I could. The issue is on the passenger side. I'm actually thinking of buying more fuel line to reroute it completely away from the exhaust.
I did the exact same thing. I cut off at the sensor and removed the old line residue there.

3f11b07163a285bcfad023f48cddf515.jpg

This is the old line that melted because of direct contact with the exhaust.

74854afb3c8e473d4bcba7affa50f18d.jpg

Here you can see where it's touching the exhaust. And even the wiring and a different line are right next to it.

0ca937f771050a438d67e88c2cc7932f.jpg

This is the picture of the solution I have for now. As I said I plan on rerouting the line entirely. I used heat wrap on both lines at risk. And I pushed the wiring behind the lines.

I've been able to pump gas at full speed now without looking like a fool turning the pump gun this way and that way

Users who are viewing this thread