2009 GT500 is throwing gas back at me

latinheat1018

Established Member
I cannot find a solution here. My car is throwing gas back out every time I try to refuel. The problem wasn't as severe before but now it's just ridiculous. Before I had to pump gas super slow or the gas pump would click off. I have no idea if this is a common problem with the s197 or if it's something else. I've checked to see if the vapor hose is kinked. It seems to be fine. The dealership did a smoke test amongst other things to try to determine the issue. The car gave me code P0442 (small evaporative leak detected).
I am completely out of ideas and extremely frustrated. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Manuel

Update:
b8b604cca20086bc3199d7511d665923.jpg

That's what the line looked like. It was melted onto the heat wrap. I tried blowing though it. COMPLETELY blocked.
I checked the part number with ford. It's $270 for the piece which would give me the exact same problem down the line. I instead bought fuel line and cut off the damaged portion of the line and replaced it. I added extra length to it so that I could hold it away from the exhaust with a bracket.
I now have a full tank of gas

Last edited:

Dynobrat

Established Member
I read you should remove the evaporator lines at the canister and blow compressed air through them. You're not getting proper venting (displacing the air in the tank when fuel is being added). One other temp solution is to turn the nozzle upside down while pumping. You should also inspect the breather tube as it is apparently close to the exhaust and may have melted from the heat of the exhaust, as it is close to the muffler? It is a very well known problem, as old as the car.

If you use the upside down fueling method, be careful as the pump may not shut off once the tank is full.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Whatever dealer you took it to didnt know wtf they were doing.

It sounds to me like you have a bad roll over valve. Its designed to keep fuel in the tank in case of a roll over crash. Many that i know of double as overflow cutoff valves during fueling.

There may be an Evap condition with these valves failing. Essentially youll need to drop the tank and id replace any valves or lines on top of said tank including the fuel pump assembly sealing ring.

fullboogie

Established Member
It comes from continuing to pump gas after the initial shut off. The vapor canister gets liquid gas in it from the over filling, which prevents venting of the air while filling the tank. Stop trying to squeeze another 1/2 gallon into your tank after the pump shuts off.

builttodrive

Established Member
I have this problem on my Shelby. I know the previous owner had the tank replaced by the dealer under warranty trying to remedy it. I had an 06 gt that did it too. My 07 Shelby GT never had the problem but my 07 Gt500 does it every time. I have to pump really slow or it just kicks the pump out. And I don't try to top it off extra full either. It's super annoying!

Dynobrat

Established Member
it's the line to the canister @ the fuel tank...the tank has two sides...once one side is full it moves over to the other, the line helps displace the oxygen that's been displaced by fuel. If it's blocked there is no where for the air to go so it creates a positive pressure, and acts as if the tank is full refusing to take the fuel and trips the nozzle.:) Unhook the entire line and blow air through it

Last edited:

latinheat1018

Established Member
I read you should remove the evaporator lines at the canister and blow compressed air through them. You're not getting proper venting (displacing the air in the tank when fuel is being added). One other temp solution is to turn the nozzle upside down while pumping. You should also inspect the breather tube as it is apparently close to the exhaust and may have melted from the heat of the exhaust, as it is close to the muffler? It is a very well known problem, as old as the car.

If you use the upside down fueling method, be careful as the pump may not shut off once the tank is full.

The upside down method won't work in this case. I don't have the time to take the lines off until Tuesday. But at this point it's as if the fueling line is completely blocked off. Any gas that I pump on there at all is promptly returned. It's ruined the wrap that I had on the car at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

latinheat1018

Established Member
Whatever dealer you took it to didnt know wtf they were doing.

It sounds to me like you have a bad roll over valve. Its designed to keep fuel in the tank in case of a roll over crash. Many that i know of double as overflow cutoff valves during fueling.

There may be an Evap condition with these valves failing. Essentially youll need to drop the tank and id replace any valves or lines on top of said tank including the fuel pump assembly sealing ring.

I completely agree. I've had less than pleasant experiences with just about every dealership that I've used for servicing the car. It's baffling to me that ford doesn't take more pride in this vehicle.
I can agree with the roll over valve being the issue. Any tips on how to replace the valves and sealings. The tank is completely empty at this point so I don't have to worry about that

latinheat1018

Established Member
It comes from continuing to pump gas after the initial shut off. The vapor canister gets liquid gas in it from the over filling, which prevents venting of the air while filling the tank. Stop trying to squeeze another 1/2 gallon into your tank after the pump shuts off.

I'm well aware of the feedback mechanism that prevents overflow after the initial shut off. Clearly not what I was talking about at all in this post.

latinheat1018

Established Member
I have this problem on my Shelby. I know the previous owner had the tank replaced by the dealer under warranty trying to remedy it. I had an 06 gt that did it too. My 07 Shelby GT never had the problem but my 07 Gt500 does it every time. I have to pump really slow or it just kicks the pump out. And I don't try to top it off extra full either. It's super annoying!

It is really frustrating. That's how this problem started for me. And now it's gotten to the point where any gas I try to add is thrown back.

Bad Company

Established Member
I don't know what your modifications to your car are. A lot of guys that did exhaust modifications had problems with this. They got the passenger's side exhaust pipe as it went over the rear axle too close to the plastic fuel lines for the EVAP system. This would cause the plastic EVAP lines to melt slowly and block the lines internally. This would cause the the symptoms to change slowly over time in the manner you've described as the line got worse from the exhaust heat slowly melting the pipe.

fullboogie

Established Member
I'm well aware of the feedback mechanism that prevents overflow after the initial shut off. Clearly not what I was talking about at all in this post.

You clearly either did not read my post, or you have no understanding of what my post was about. The fact that you're complaining about a problem that has been well known for over ten years tells me everything. Good luck.

latinheat1018

Established Member
I don't know what your modifications to your car are. A lot of guys that did exhaust modifications had problems with this. They got the passenger's side exhaust pipe as it went over the rear axle too close to the plastic fuel lines for the EVAP system. This would cause the plastic EVAP lines to melt slowly and block the lines internally. This would cause the the symptoms to change slowly over time in the manner you've described as the line got worse from the exhaust heat slowly melting the pipe.

I'll definitely do a through inspection. I do have an aftermarket exhaust. Thank you.

latinheat1018

Established Member
You clearly either did not read my post, or you have no understanding of what my post was about. The fact that you're complaining about a problem that has been well known for over ten years tells me everything. Good luck.

Really? It tells you that i bought my car a year ago?
I didn't know I had to be aware of problems that did not pertain to me ten years ago.
Now you said in your post after initial shut off. NEVER did I mention initial shut off. The car wouldn't fill unless at the slowest rate if at all. So please explain to me how your comment was helpful in any way?
About as helpful as me telling you to never torque a hot wheel.
So thanks

RedZR

Established Member
I think we need to pivot this conversation to a "what oil is best for my car" thread!!!

Seriously I would really like to know what this issue is with the car. I have heard of this before and wondered.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

latinheat1018

Established Member
I had some time tonight to do a quick inspection on the car. I found the evap line on the passenger side is right on top of the exhaust pipe and melted. I'll be able to do a more thorough inspection tomorrow to make sure that's the only factor causing the problem. What would be a good solution to keep the hose from melting again?

Bad Company

Established Member
Usually this problem occurs with cars with headers. The issue is the header and x-pipe or H-pipe are longer than the original down pipe from the exhaust manifolds. This makes you shove the mid-pipe that goes over the axle shift rearward. As it moves reward it gets too close to the EVAP lines and melts them. To fix this you may need to cut the pipe shorter at the connection at the mid-pipe. The way to tell if this is what caused the problem is to look at the muffler hangers. If they are not hanging down freely, but are hanging with them angled to the rear then you know the header or h-pipe, x-pipe are too long and shoving the mid-pipe to the rear of the car. As the mid-pipe is shoved to the rear of the car, the hump in the pipe as it to goes over the axle comes in contact with the EVAP lines.

latinheat1018

Established Member
For some reason I can't post pictures here.
But upon further inspection I definitely found the problem. It's the bigger evap line that has the vent to the gas tank. Even with the heat wrap it was touching the exhaust pipe. The hose melted flat and pretty much fused with the wrapping. What's confusing to me is that there is plenty of room to route the lines away from the exhaust system down there.

Users who are viewing this thread