2009 F350 V10 First impressions

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Thats why I said later model 6.0's(2005-2007) The 03-04 Had the most warranty claims.

I believe ford is developing there own diesel because it probably cheeper than paying NAVISTAR, to develop an engine to be 2010 emissions capable.

Navistar could barely build an engine to meet 2008 emissions compliance, much less 2010. The 6.0s never got all their problems fully sorted out, you still see oil leaks and numerous issues with them.

I believe Ford is developing their diesel in-house because they are tired of the astronomical warranty costs and brand tarnishing associated with the 6.0/6.4.

The GASSER will burn more fuel than a diesel because it has to work harder. When it workers harder, that abuse will shorten its lifespan.

I have seen first hand diesel's out work there gasoline counter parts, which led to my current purchase of a Powerstroke.;-)

Except, the gassers don't really burn much if any more fuel than the 6.4.

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thats why I said later model 6.0's(2005-2007) The 03-04 Had the most warranty claims.

I believe ford is developing there own diesel because it probably cheeper than paying NAVISTAR, to develop an engine to be 2010 emissions capable.

The GASSER will burn more fuel than a diesel because it has to work harder. When it workers harder, that abuse will shorten its lifespan.

I have seen first hand diesel's out work there gasoline counter parts, which led to my current purchase of a Powerstroke.;-)

I'll take these quotes from another member here. He says it better than I can:

you dont have a DPF, and you drive a 5 year old dodge. I'll pass on the dodge. This part is subjective, but they are ugly, and the interior is garbage.
This part is not
Show me a dodge, making 600hp, running 12.80's on a stock tranny, and getting 18-20 highway, and i'll talk.
how is my math flowed?
10mpg(commong for DPF equipped trucks) and 2.60 a gallon
so, that equates to 2.60/10= .26 per mile
1.70/7=.24(oops)
so, to drive either truck 10 miles means... .26*10=2.60 and .24*10=2.40
the gasser is still cheaper

i'd guess six...

You have to remember hotrod, some of us buy new, because things improve over the years. My truck ride amazing. The interior is roomy, and functional, and appealing. The transmission has been updated over its 6 years and performs flawlessly. My 250 is legally rated to tow over 12,000lbs. and best of all, i have a warranty. That means a lot to mean, when the truck is being driven daily by my wife, while i am over seas, or just out of town. Lastly, fuel mileage doesnt concern me. I didnt buy a truck that weighs just south of 9000lbs to worry about the fuel mileage. that is why my honda is for.
So, you keep your aging, loud, rattly dodge. I'll keep my new shiny truck, and my DPF...

do a search on Fordtrucks.com, you will find plenty of 250K v10's...
and im not bothered by the fact that your truck gets better mpg. but your logic on being cheaper is flawed, and i'll help you out.
I'm going to get fairly indepth.

we'll go 5K intervals on the diesel and gasser. (i'll even use your cummins your so fond of..)
oil change
3 gallons of oil and 1 filter = $38 or approx .0076per mile.

fuel filter(15K) 18.00 = .0012 per mile

Trans service(30K) 50.00 = .0017 per mile

air filter(30k) 19.00 = .0006 per mile

fuel (14mpg avg for towing/city/hwy) .1857 per mile

puts us at about .1968 or 19.68 cents per mile to drive your cummins. that doesnt include tire wear that is just regular maint...

im going to use my dads v10, as its an 01, and i have experience with it.
oil change 6 qts oil, plus filter = 18.50 or .0037 per mile

fuel filter(15K) 11.00 = .0007 per mile

trans service(30k) 44.00 = .0015 per mile

air filter(30k) 21.00 = .0007 per mile

fuel(10mpg avg towing/city/hwy) = .17 per mile
puts the truck at .1766 or 17.66 per mile to drive.

my favorite part is this

the dodge runs about 18000 to get into an 04 with moderate options according to nada
an identically equipped v10 04 ford costs 15000. same options, same miles.
so not only is the v10 cheaper to drive, they are cheaper to buy.
Now dont get me wrong, i love my diesel truck, but i know damn well its costs a premium to own one.

Lots of good information in those two posts:beer:

MATT SS

Navistar could barely build an engine to meet 2008 emissions compliance, much less 2010.

The 6.0s never got all their problems fully sorted out. You still see oil leaks and numerous issues with them.

Ford is developing their diesel in-house because Navistar has proven semi-incompetent.

Except, the gassers don't really burn much if any more fuel than the 6.4.

I never said anything about the 6.4, the new emissions requirements have killed all modern diesels. Lets hope ford can build a new diesel so they can save the soild truck reputation.

SHOW ME A DIESEL THAT DOESNT HAVE AN OIL LEAK:shrug:

MATT SS

I'll take these quotes from another member here. He says it better than I can:

Lots of good information in those two posts:beer:

ILL AGREE VERY GOOD INFO. However my current argument still stands. PRE DPF DIESELS(Powerstroke/Cummins) Have the potential with routine service, to be 500,000+mile motors. I have yet to personally see a V10 do that with out a major rebuild:shrug:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
ILL AGREE VERY GOOD INFO. However my current argument still stands. PRE DPF DIESELS(Powerstroke/Cummins) Have the potential with routine service, to be 500,000+mile motors. I have yet to personally see a V10 do that with out a major rebuild:shrug:

No V10s that I know of, but how about a 5.4?

Home

I would put a V10's longevity up against a 6.0's any day. 6.0Ls have been looking pretty iffy past 150,000-200,000 miles in some fleets.

MATT SS

No V10s that I know of, but how about a 5.4?

Home

I would put a V10's longevity up against a 6.0's any day. 6.0Ls have been looking pretty iffy past 150,000-200,000 miles in some fleets.

Im impressed with that van, but there was also a Chevrolet 5.7 that K&N Sponsored a few years ago that had a million miles as well.

As far as the other argument, we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I would NEVER personally select a GASSER over a diesel for work.:beer:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
1.1 million miles on that Ford 5.4 now.

There's a Chevy van and I think a pickup that have broken a million miles as well. But as opposed to discrediting the Ford van, I think that reinforces the fact the longevity argument doesn't really pan out. Especially when talking about the newer, higher powered, smaller displacement, more complicated, multivalve diesels (like the 6.0/6.4).

Users who are viewing this thread