2007 NHRA helmet rule

Beerplease

Established Member
Does anyone know what the requirements are to run 13.99 or faster at a NHRA track. The local track National Trails in Columbus is having a grudge night this friday and they require a helmet to run that et or faster. However they cannot tell me what that requirment is. I know that DOT helmets are not authorized nor are the older Snell 95 rated helmets. I just need some clarification here on the right helmet to pass tech.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if i am not mistaken the sa2000 (?) is ok until 2012. that is what i have and have been told by the tech at a few tracks

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Stewart_H said:
SNELL K98, M2000, SA2000, M2005, or SA2005 to be exact! ;-)

Stewart

and everyone always makes fun of my M2000 rated "Dirt bike" helmet. :poke: :lol:

silvercoffin

Established Member
...bs

I think this is just a BS way for track to make more money selling helmets. I used a non Snell helmet for years at atco and Englishtown and suddenly this year and maybe the end of last year they start selling them at their store and checking up on the rule claiming that the State Police have been spot checking peoples helmets at the track. I couldnt believe the guy at tech actually told me that one.

What is snell? isnt it fire rated? vs a normal bike helmet? OK so your head cant burn but the rest of you can... what sense does the rule make anyway.

Or the roll bar/fire jack and gloves/harness for under 11.5 WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEGS??? LOL Its such BS

silvercoffin

Established Member

not to mention the fact that so many cars come off the showroom floor now running low 12s. They should do away with any rule for 11+ cars if it is still considered a stock car.

Bolt on mods are still considered stock car.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
It doesn't have to be a Snell helmet, it has to be a Snell RATED helmet.

The Snell Foundation is who rates the helmets. They have no affiliation with the helmet manufacturer of the same name.

Snell tests thousands of helmets each year and maintains its objectivity by remaining independent of helmet manufacturers, as well as local and national governments. Its state-of-the-art testing facility is located in North Highlands California, just outside Sacramento.

http://www.smf.org/

You don't have to use a Snell helmet, just a Snell rated helmet.

My helmet is an open face Pyrotect helmet.

Stewart

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think this is just a BS way for track to make more money selling helmets. I used a non Snell helmet for years at atco and Englishtown and suddenly this year and maybe the end of last year they start selling them at their store and checking up on the rule claiming that the State Police have been spot checking peoples helmets at the track. I couldnt believe the guy at tech actually told me that one.

What is snell? isnt it fire rated? vs a normal bike helmet? OK so your head cant burn but the rest of you can... what sense does the rule make anyway.

Or the roll bar/fire jack and gloves/harness for under 11.5 WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEGS??? LOL Its such BS

Can't explain why the rules are what they are but as far as a helmet, It's your head man, you must remember that in bracket racing even though I've never in all my years seen a 13sec street car crash you will sometimes have a 10 second car catching you. If he runs up on you and loses it he can hit you.

Things happen, get a decent helmet and your set.
I just updated a lot of my stuff, another $600 over the 1K I spent last year. Why do I need to change Harness, tranny sheild and flexplate sheild every 2 years? Because NHRA says so. lol
I don't like it either.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Can't explain why the rules are what they are but as far as a helmet, It's your head man, you must remember that in bracket racing even though I've never in all my years seen a 13sec street car crash you will sometimes have a 10 second car catching you. If he runs up on you and loses it he can hit you.

Things happen, get a decent helmet and your set.
I just updated a lot of my stuff, another $600 over the 1K I spent last year. Why do I need to change Harness, tranny sheild and flexplate sheild every 2 years? Because NHRA says so. lol
I don't like it either.

Yet road racers get to go 5yrs on harnesses. Seems like it should be the other way around to me, but rules is rules. I don't have a problem with the rules as long as they are enforced consistantly. I hate it when certain racers get away with breaking them and then others have to follow every little detail.

Users who are viewing this thread