2007 Mazda MazdaSpeed 3 | Retro Review

1slo5ohh

Established Member
I had one, full bolt-on was a fun car. Was sneaky quick, only pain in the ass was when it would randomly smoke at idle. Not sure anyone actually figured that one out or not.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Still have mine, picked it up in 08. Been a great car.

Mazdaspeed cold air, HKS BOV. I've been through the suspension a few times now. But other than running a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner every one in a while, it just runs.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Still have mine, picked it up in 08. Been a great car.

Mazdaspeed cold air, HKS BOV. I've been through the suspension a few times now. But other than running a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner every one in a while, it just runs.
I always wanted one and just toss bolt ons, tune and an LSD into it. Drove my friends tuned early version and the torque steer is borderline frightening. A proper helical LSD and some sticky tire would make it a track weapon with the torque they can produce.

Also, the seats are UBER comfortable. They just hug you like no other.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I had Gen 1 in red and a 2008. Fully loaded. Loved it, but my 2013 Mazdaspeed is better in a lot of ways. Interior not as cool though. The Gen 1 had a better interior IMHO.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
The Gen 1.

Attachments

• HPIM0242.jpg
    HPIM0242.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM0241.jpg
    HPIM0241.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 37
  • HPIM0236.jpg
    HPIM0236.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM0237.jpg
    HPIM0237.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 37

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I always wanted one and just toss bolt ons, tune and an LSD into it. Drove my friends tuned early version and the torque steer is borderline frightening. A proper helical LSD and some sticky tire would make it a track weapon with the torque they can produce.

Also, the seats are UBER comfortable. They just hug you like no other.
Mine is stock except the two things I mentioned. First test drive opened my eyes to the low end torque that a turbo could produce. The small stock turbo sizing is what makes it fun for me, the turbo runs out of steam a 5.5k.

That being said, there is only a few times that the torque steer made me take notice. They used to be everywhere, now I don't even see any first gen speed3. Zoon Zoom Boom!

Or they didn't make it out the other side, when the high school kids got ahold of em.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
They drive like a crazy project car you just went a little too far modding. I love it. Spinning in 3rd and 4th while passing is hairy, but fun as hell.

My red one had minimal mods, my white one is as far as you would want to go with a stock short block. The Stratified tune and fuel mods keep it alive.

When Mazda sets out to make a performance car they kinda do things way differently than everyone else.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I had one, full bolt-on was a fun car. Was sneaky quick, only pain in the ass was when it would randomly smoke at idle. Not sure anyone actually figured that one out or not.
Up the oil weight, etc. Mostly plagued Gen 1 cars as far as I can tell.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Up the oil weight, etc. Mostly plagued Gen 1 cars as far as I can tell.
I think it's the PCV system. I remember putting in a restrictor in the vent from the valve cover. This was in 2011 or something. Went to Rotella T6 when I picked it up, seems to like it. Oh and I'm still on the original turbo. So, yeah at at stoplight after a min or 2 a little drift of oil out the exhaust. Give it a rev to clear out. Just waiting to swap to another K04. On the cusp of 200k on the old girl.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I think it's the PCV system. I remember putting in a restrictor in the vent from the valve cover. This was in 2011 or something. Went to Rotella T6 when I picked it up, seems to like it. Oh and I'm still on the original turbo. So, yeah at at stoplight after a min or 2 a little drift of oil out the exhaust. Give it a rev to clear out. Just waiting to swap to another K04. On the cusp of 200k on the old girl.
I put a catch can with a check valve and an open breather on the GEN 2 with no smoke issues yet. Sometimes I smell oily smell on start up after sitting a while, but no smoke. I've put a camera back there to check. Lol. It has a full 3" exhaust and downpipe with no cat. I think it's kind of hit and miss, but the design of the K04 doesn't help. And yes, the PVC system is not your friend either.

Users who are viewing this thread