2007 gt500 coolant, confused on which ford premium/Gold to use.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Please see link for the confusion. Several are called premium gold there is a yellow version, orange and one with "bittering agent" etc. I am confused on which is correct for my 07 gt500 and I don't want to get it wrong and mix them.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-EngineProducts-Coolants.aspx

I would say that the safest bet is to look in your owners manual (possible in the GT500 Owners Manual Supplement) and compare the Ford specification to what you see listed on this Ford Parts link. I believe our 2007-2010 alum. head/cast iron block engines use the Gold/Yellow colored coolant, but I would compare the Ford coolant specification number in the owners manual before I made a purchase.

I think it is sold two ways, one 50/50 premixed and the other concentrate (you mix).

R

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
Motorcraft Premium
Gold Engine Coolant
(yellow-colored)
VC-7-B /
Engine coolant 4.6L WSS-M97B51-A1

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
This should match your factory fill coolant from 2007. The container labeling has changed over the years, but the part number remained the same. I get it from my local dealership.

MC Gold.jpg

sweetlou1182

Established Member
Does having a larger tank like a moroso make any difference in coolant type or amount?

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I just bought the moroso so will need to flush the stock tank first.

PS - didn't mean to threadjack

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you flush the system, which I suggest, you can then use whatever coolant you like. I consider the Ford Gold Coolant the devil, I suggest using an ELC formulation.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If you flush the system, which I suggest, you can then use whatever coolant you like. I consider the Ford Gold Coolant the devil, I suggest using an ELC formulation.

Why is this? Didn't the 6.0L Powerstroke have issues with this? Reason being I changed mine in my 04 Cobra with new gold intercooler and cooling system last fall. Next time what would you recommend? How long two years on the coolant I just put in?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Why is this? Didn't the 6.0L Powerstroke have issues with this? Reason being I changed mine in my 04 Cobra with new gold intercooler and cooling system last fall. Next time what would you recommend? How long two years on the coolant I just put in?

Heat causes silicates to precipitate out of the solution, clogging up small passages. I prefer an ELC, specifically Rotella Ultra ELC (it's gold too).

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Yeah, the Ford Gold coolant sucks. It was honestly a mistake by Ford to rec it over an International or Caterpillar coolant for the 6.0L. That and terrible oil and EGR cooler design and.. well... it gave a black eye to an awesome engine.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Heat causes silicates to precipitate out of the solution, clogging up small passages. I prefer an ELC, specifically Rotella Ultra ELC (it's gold too).
Thanks for the explanation. Next time I change it I will try and do a whole flush and get it all out and switch to something else.

Yeah, the Ford Gold coolant sucks. It was honestly a mistake by Ford to rec it over an International or Caterpillar coolant for the 6.0L. That and terrible oil and EGR cooler design and.. well... it gave a black eye to an awesome engine.
True I love the sound of 6.0L's they say once you delete the egr, stud, and change the coolant they are bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread