2004 F150 issue

krman68

Established Member
Hi all

I have a 2004 F150 Fx4 with 4x4, 145k on the dial. It has been a great truck and been well maintained since I have owned it new. I am now running into an annoying issue the engine is 100% stock with the exception of a k & n intake.

It starts and runs fine. However, while driving down the road while it is in overdrive, and you hit the gas to accelerate it will slightly hesitate like a misfire. Stops when the tach gets over 2000. Doesn't do it all the time and when the engine is cruising above 2000 rpms no issue runs fine.....at 108k the plugs were replaced and the tranny was recently serviced with no issues. We hooked up the ODB reader - no codes show and I've watched the tach when it happens - it doesn't move suggesting that it isn't engine related.

Someone suggested that the clutches in the rear are the fault....any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Jack

Swetrid

Established Member
Is it a 5.4L 3V? If so its probably going to be spark plugs. We have only been getting about 30-35k miles out of the replacement motorcraft plugs.

Swetrid

Established Member
Yes it can, if you have access to a Ford IDS scanner it will show what they call mode 6 data and can show what cylinder is missing.

busabruce

Established Member
I would say it's either the plugs or a bad coil pack. I also had a 2004 and right at 100K it started doing the same thing. I swapped out the plugs with the one piece Champion replacements then found that I also had a bad coil. I was able to replace it with the Accel aftermarket replacements and all was fine. If you do the plugs your self you will want to make sure you have the special removal tool in case you break any of the old plugs.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Battery? My 07 was acting the same. Then I started to notice only when I had the heated seats on, stereo blower ect. It was the original battery too. I also changed the fuel filter, it was coming out black.

Sadly I had a few months where it ran good and the hesitation or miss is back. Gotta change the plugs.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yea it is the 5.4. Would it be the plugs even though I am not getting a ODB code?

I'm guessing coil pack. It actually takes quite a few misfires to throw a cel. My wifes 04 Escape did the exact same thing and finally popped a code after a few months, sure enough misfire #4. Swapped the coil and good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread