2004 Cobra lower pulley kit?

04SVTGUY

Currently, I have my 2004 Cobra at the dealership for what I thought would be a simple serpentine belt change on both belts. The supercharger belt comes off easy enough, but the FEAD belt apparently does not. The dealer is telling me that the crank pulley is frozen in place, and if they have to heat it up, they will have to charge me $900 for a new one! :fm:

From what the dealer is telling me, the crank pulley has to come off in order to remove the bracket behind the pulley and then the belt can come off.

Is there an aftermarket kit that eliminates having to yank the crank pulley every time I need to replace the FEAD belt?

For $900, I'd rather them tow the Cobra back to the house and I'll do it myself.

Cheers!

Bob

black 10th vert

Established Member
Bob, most likely they are just trying to sell you on a new lower in case they damage the original taking it off. They can be a bear to get off, but using the correct technique goes a long way. I just took a long pipe from the topside, and put it on the right side of the pulley on one of the spokes (because it is reverse thread), and gave it a couple of good whacks with the trusty BFH. Popped right off. Just don't forget to loosen the cage bolts first.

By a Metco/LFP lower kit if you don't want to deal with the cage everytime you change the belt. The plus of side of a new lower kit, is that you can interchange ring sizes to increase boost, without changing the blower pulley. Downside to them, is that some people have reported that they snapped the crank snout, and the theory is that it is from the lack of the cage for outboard support. Many people run them without issue, though, so do some reading, then decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread