2003 SVT Cobra Differential Leaking???

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
I noticed a couple days ago that there was something that was leaking from rear of the car. So I decided to look under and I noticed that the differential had a leak, the liquid was an orangish yellow. Also when shifting gears from like 1 to 2 I hear this loud clunk in the back i don't know what that is. Please help me, thanks!

This is a picture of the leak. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZtewH3J1bbWTNvRE9zVFBleVU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Jpjr

Established Member
You seem to have answered your own question. Was your diff opened up by you or a former owner? Someone used some gasket maker to try and stop the leak at some point, but that is a band aid not a fix. Read about how to drop your diff through the search function and decide if you are up for investigating it. Or at least pump in some new fluid. If you drop your diff add a diff brace. It is a very common thing here. The clunk from 1 to 2 could be your trans but I would definitely address the diff leak first to see if a dry diff is the real cause.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Thanks I will look into this;-), please I need more replies to help me get a full understanding. I now know that the person that had the car before me didn't fix the leak. So are there any step by step on how to get to the differential and remove, replace, and fix.:nonono:

Last edited:

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member

KLLR SNK

Established Member
There are links on here for removing the diff from the car, it's easy but time consuming. If you do remove the diff I would seriously consider changing to the FRPP cover. The clunk may be you still have the front IRS 12mm bolts, change them to the 9/16" grade 8 bolts.

rondog622

Established Member
I did mine over the winter. By myself and it wasnt bad. Make sure you go over the how to. It helped me thru the whole thing. While u have it out look in full tilt boogie racing diff bushings. And if you drop the whole irs do all the bushings

TRBO VNM

Search and you will find the answers. The is common with these cars from the factory or when not re-sealed properly. the leaking and the clunk are bonus features from Ford you don't pay for up front.

fastgt110

Established Member
Looks like someone tried to rig it before they sold it to you to stop the leak. You need to take the cover off an reseal. Put the upgraded ford racing cover and be done with it. That clunk you hear might be because some cars came with the wrong size bolts installed in the front subframe. Cobra bobs website is a really great resource for you FYI :)

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
I am considering to just get a new frpp differential cover, instead of trying to reseal it again. Do you think this is the best way to go?;-)

Last edited:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
You can do it on jackstands in the garage but make sure you raise the car high enough to get the diff out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The famous cobra "clunk"! I think about every other cobra makes that sound! I know mine does! I even had the FTBR subframe bolts installed. Next thing I'll check is that massive halfshaft nut back there. I believe it's 36mm and those have been known to come loose.

I am considering to just get a new frpp differential cover, instead of trying to reseal it again. Do you think this is the best way to go?;-)

Definitely best way to go. I have the BF brace on my stock diff cover and it recently started leaking again.

Don't waste your money on that brace. Its junk. Go with the Ford racing diff cover. Better cover and it eliminates the need for a brace.

Users who are viewing this thread