2003 excursion worth blown v10

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I've found a 03 4x4 excursion with a blown v10 with 85k miles on it. Been sitting for 8 years. Went way out oh my way to look at it, because I was told clean interior, no hail or body damage. She wants 3k for it, and it's absolutely disgusting on the inside, and pretty heavy hail damage on the roof. My plans are a cummins swap. Am I a fool for wanting to pass on this. The paint is just covered with tons of light- medium clear coat scratches that probably won't buff out., and the hail damage is the kicker for me. The pictures make it look better than it actually is. I know 3k isn't much, but I'm planning on keeping my "build" for a very long time

3187FE7E-10AE-4D47-A656-CEC604DFB8BC_zpskknwztsi.jpg

5D1438B5-A55A-46F4-8B17-B5F9590ADFD0_zps7t1uzmog.jpg

17665F4A-0069-446A-BFC2-39334E1A350F_zpsnjphepr2.jpg

16DE5382-C1AD-4D88-BFF3-6F0E3785DEE8_zpsjk8sh2te.jpg

37DDDE79-255E-472B-A540-FE2933E8B5FD_zpsbkrjsqke.jpg

F7E36113-B080-4FCC-8479-C44214F24C4B_zpsypmdrzua.jpg

29B67035-80D7-471F-A7A7-F3E277045E52_zpspbte4dde.jpg

138B1393-8D3F-4B8C-89EC-A73877D13A86_zpskqhyp79s.jpg

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
If its getting a swap its prob not that easy to find a roller-ish Excursion. Is the V10 worht anything...like the heads or intake, etc etc. Is getting her down to $2k a big issue? I dont see too many people wanting that other than what you are using it for.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
If its getting a swap its prob not that easy to find a roller-ish Excursion. Is the V10 worht anything...like the heads or intake, etc etc. Is getting her down to $2k a big issue? I dont see too many people wanting that other than what you are using it for.

I don't know what happened to it, she said it just started smoking and. "Broke". She said she is firm on the 3k from the initial ad. She said she wasn't going to sell it after I committed on looking at it (200) miles away, and she ran a ad for 5k. So I'm guessing interest isn't that heavy.

Sorry for the bad typing and grammer

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
looks like it might clean up nice. If it's fixed it's worth 7500-8500 .

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
It would be going out of state, and supposedly a clear title. I have no idea why this got moved to pics and vids :bash; she paid cash for it with her husbands life insurance policy. Tires are junk, the ones on the rear look to be swapped from the front and the wear on the inside edge is horrible z. I would change them due to age alone, let alone the wear.

Last edited:

cheese5.0

Cheese...?
Established Member
The interior is salvageable and the paint can be re cleared im sure. I'd be more worried about the hail damage. It all depends on your budget, and the amount of time and effort you're willing to put in.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
That thing isn't worth anything more than $2k. Maybe if it didn't have the hail damage.

stroked mach

Established Member
well if your looking for a donor for a swap , I don't think you will find any thing like that any cheeper , if you are going to keep it I say go for it and clean it up and do your swap your going to save a bunch on fuel once you get it done as the 12vs are know for good mpg and a good cleaning will go a long way inside and out , I love my 96 12v gets 20 mpg and its a dwa excab

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
The hail damage could be fixed with paintless dent removal. I lived in Alabama for a few years and there were a few tornados that came through. There were these "traveling dent repair" folks who would go over the cars and they looked stunning!

A dealer had a brand new sedan in their showroom with one half repaired and the other left alone. You couldn't tell it was repaired at all. The dealers would take the insurance money, fix the cars and then sell them at events like one "hail of a sale".

If it's solid with no rust, is a Limited so no higher trim package then go for it. That interior will clean up like new with saddle soap and Spray Nine. Same with the carpet. Take the seats and center console out, clean all those parts, remove the carpets then pressure was them. I but you could get the interior and exterior looking really good with a lot of elbow grease and a few hundred in paintless dent removal. Looks like some exterior trim is showing its age. Prep it and paint with SEM from body shop supply. Might be able to remove the headliner and save a few bucks for the paintless dent removal costs.

Grab a 6.0 and stick it in there since they originally came with them. That is really the only thing the Limited 4x4 looks to be missing. You could also diag the motor and see if you could repair it unless there is a rod hanging out of the block.

Good luck with your search and projects.

SV

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
1. Nobody, including yourself will really ever see the roof
2. The truck needs a lot of TLC and having a blown engine is a huge deal
3. Don't let on that you want the truck for a swap.

Instead, do the following. Take the truck as if it was in good working condition. THen subtract how much it would be to repair the hail damage. Then subtract the total to R&R the engine. Most likely you'll end up in negative territory at that point, given how badly those trucks depreciate. Offer $1000.00 and settle at $1500.00.

THen do your swap and fix whatever you want.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I offered 2300, I was ready to totally abandon the thought on the 200 mile ride home. After sitting on eBay and craigslist all night I'm getting more into it. She is English speaking Hispanic but won't answer the phone for any reason and is super slow with text. I will wait for Monday and probably give the full 3k if it hasn't sold strictly for the 85k miles, rode hard or not.

grahamlight

Established Member
3k isn't bad for that shape, mainly because any of them slightly better and running draw 6 to 9 k making money for the swap harder IMO...As already said too the paintless dent removal technology has come a very long way and I would think what is shown in those pics would come out easy... Good luck if you pick her up!

kwkshift

Established Member
There is a ton of money and work needed on that pile. She would have to pay me to take that thing away. That's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
Run away as fast as you can... By the time you get it fixed you could have bought one in good working order...

Users who are viewing this thread