2003 dsg cobra 5k miles

bglf83

Established Member
hello, i am pretty new to the board. I am looking at a 2003 dsg cobra with 5k miles, the story that our sales rep told us is that it was sold to a person but they financed it under a different persons name (fraud) so the dealership ended up getting the car back after 2 months and they say we can get the car for about 26500 after rebates and such. is this a good deal? this is at prestige ford in the DFW area. thanks.

tvguy

Can you afford about $3K more? If so, I'd try to get a new one. An 03 of course. If $26K is your limit, I'd wait a bit. Just going on assumptions, if the person purchased the car under false pretenses, then I doubt he/she took good car of it. Most likely the vehicle has been abused. Oh, you mentioned rebates. Is this dealer trying to sell this car as "new"? A used car will not qualify for rebates. From the information you have given, I'd run away from the deal and continue your search. Lot's of deals on used Cobras out there. Just be patient. Good luck.
pacotaco

bglf83

Established Member
the dealer is selling it as new. rebates apply and warrenty would start at 5k and go an additional 36k. thanks

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
:eek: selling it as new? fraud? i'd listen to pacotaco and avoid this particular vehicle like the plague.

tvguy

Originally posted by bglf83
the dealer is selling it as new. rebates apply and warrenty would start at 5k and go an additional 36k. thanks

I would love to hear someone that works from a dealership voice their opinion on this one. I cannot see in any "legal" sense how this car could be sold as new. It has already been titled and has 5000 miles. I already gave my advice about the car, now I'm suggesting you avoid this dealer as well.
pacotaco

tvguy

Just a heads up. Although you are obviously in the market for an 03 Cobra, someone in another thread spoke of a Texas dealer with a number of 03 Mach 1's. Like I asked in my first post, is $26k your limit? If so you may want to look into an 03 Mach 1, which you should easily get for below $26K. Just an option for you. And in my opinion not a bad option at all.
pacotaco

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well I cant say for sure but sometimes under certain conditions they might be able to seel them as new. Like the the demo cars they can run up to 5,000 miles and they have to sell.

Also in MN general manager could keep cars till 5.000 drop them off for a new one. I dont think its fraud but I sure would want to know the background of a car like this. with such good deals with new ones out there.

I would keep you eye on the market in this forum there are great deals

Orange Poison

Established Member
I'd try avoid buying a used '03 Cobra....get a new one if you can. you never know if the previous owner chipped & pullied and ran her through the ringer.

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Originally posted by pacotaco
Just a heads up. Although you are obviously in the market for an 03 Cobra, someone in another thread spoke of a Texas dealer with a number of 03 Mach 1's. Like I asked in my first post, is $26k your limit? If so you may want to look into an 03 Mach 1, which you should easily get for below $26K. Just an option for you. And in my opinion not a bad option at all.
pacotaco

Hell yeah! Wasn't there a post on here recently where a guy got a new Mach for ~23K? I think I would like that idea rather than the questionable 03. You never know what a person can do to a car even with only 5k miles on it--hell, even 500 miles for that matter!! Drive it like you stole it mentalities run rampant here!

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by bglf83

That sounds super funky. Any vehicle that is ever registered can no longer be sold as new. Demos are usually 5k or under. Never heard of anything like that. Any repos for any reason we ever get back are always reconditioned, certified, and sold as used, even a recent 04(not cobra) with only 700 miles on it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by FuShnickens
:eek: selling it as new? fraud? i'd listen to pacotaco and avoid this particular vehicle like the plague.
Man, here's a dealership that claims a buyer committed fraud and now they're doing the same thing. I'll tell you one thing, one and one equals two and I'll walk away from that dealer quicker than a cat running from a dog. How could you possibly trust them in the future?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As far as this car being legally a "new" car, I'd have to see what actually determines what a "new" car is. Is a demo really sold as a "new" car? Would it qualify for rebates if it has been driven around for a couple of thousand miles? Anyone?

But regardless of the answer above, in this case the car was bought and driven by a consumer and he lost the car back to the dealer. There is no way that could legally entitle the dealer to sell the car as "new". As mentioned above it was registered to someone. If that someone sold the car he couldn't sell it as a new vehicle. Neither could the dealer if it got the car back after it was driven for XXX miles.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
They're probably selling it as used, but with a new vehicle warranty.

Chewy

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
That sounds super funky. Any vehicle that is ever registered can no longer be sold as new. Demos are usually 5k or under. Never heard of anything like that. Any repos for any reason we ever get back are always reconditioned, certified, and sold as used, even a recent 04(not cobra) with only 700 miles on it.

My demo has 6800 miles on it right now. We retire them at 7000 miles. They are still considered new vehicles because they were never titled.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Man, here's a dealership that claims a buyer committed fraud and now they're doing the same thing. I'll tell you one thing, one and one equals two and I'll walk away from that dealer quicker than a cat running from a dog. How could you possibly trust them in the future?

Well I don't think it is fraud. Fraud would be trying to hide the conditions that brought the car back to the dealer, saying it was a demo or something.

Really all the term "NEW" means is what type of financing you can get on the car.

If it was USED there wouldn't be rebates.
If it was USED the interest rate would be higher.
etc.

Many credit unions etc offer NEW car loans on late model low mileage cars.

So perhaps this is all the dealership is saying.

Established Member
My friend just bought a brand new DSG Mach 1 for 23k out the door at Mccoy & Mills Ford. It's a beautiful car and pretty darn fast.

Users who are viewing this thread