2003 Cobra won't start

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Its been about a year since this last happened.
Haven't fired it up since may 2012.
20,102 miles all stock
Cranks great but won't start.
I'm sure these cars require a special tester to pull codes.
Any suggestions?
I really don't want to have it towed to ford.
Mike

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Sounds like a fuel issue. Make sure you can hear that pump prime. That pump might not be working

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Thanks all for answering.
I believe the problem is with the anti-theft system.
I tried the second key for the car that I have never used before and it fired right up.
What scanner or programmer is recommended for the 2003 cobra?

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I tried the second key for the car that I have never used before and it fired right up.

Same thing happened to me once. I was like WTH?! :fm:

Good to hear it was an easy fix! You can use any OBDII scanners. I bought one from Walmart for a little over $100. As for programers, I'd believe most would suggest SCT. I have the older SCT X2 unit.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Same thing happened to me once. I was like WTH?! :fm:

Good to hear it was an easy fix! You can use any OBDII scanners. I bought one from Walmart for a little over $100. As for programers, I'd believe most would suggest SCT. I have the older SCT X2 unit.

Does the scanner connect on the drivers side of the vehicle right about where your right knee is when driving the car, next to the radio part of the dash?.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

Yes, this happens if you leave the key in proximity to the ignition for an extended period of time. The PATS system deactivates the transponder chip in the key.

I highly recommend getting that deactivated key reprogrammed and ALSO get another key as a 3rd backup.

As it stands, you will need to make a trip to Ford to get that 2nd deactivated key to be reprogrammed.

You can reprogram a 3rd key with just the 2 functioning keys on hand...and this should help you avoid making a trip to Ford in the future. All those reading this, take my suggestion and buy an extra 3rd key for $15-20 and program it yourself while you still have two functional ones.

:rockon:

<-----personal experience :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread