2003 cobra Newbie

siemens03

Established Member
Hey guys my name is Justin. I recently bought my wife a 2003 Cobra since her 2000 cobra clone burnt to the ground and i have a few questions. The car is all stock with the exception of the magnaflow catback exhaust. The car also came with a 2.8 pulley and the diablotek predator tuner. I guess for things first the clutch will be needing replaced soon as we do alot of street\strip stuff and its already a little on the weak side. I have read alot about the spec stage 3 and my friend has a very modded 03 cobra with the spec 3+ and loves it. I also have had luck in other vehicles of mine with the centerforce dual friction clutch setups. Just wanting some input from you all. here is a link to centerforces newest that i was looking at.
Centerforce LMC Clutch Kits
Also my next question is after my clutch and a few baseline passes i want to install the pulley and programmer but i was told i also need to run a lower? doesnt a smaller lower defeat the purpose of a smaller upper? Or am i missing some information? Thanks in advance, Justin

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ator-frequently-asked-questions-new-guys.html

Engine/Tuning - SVTPerformance

Driveline - SVTPerformance

Exhaust - SVTPerformance

Suspension Modifications - SVTPerformance

Welcome!:rockon::beer: These are awesome cars! Many of the questions you have and many you have not even thought of yet have been answered in threads on this site.
SVTP has a rich history with the Terminator Cobra.

If you were ever going to run into a bunch of guys that have "been there done that" with an 03/04 Cobra... it's these guys on here.

I hope you are able to find all the answers you need.

cobrasvt003

Established Member
it does not defeat the purpose to add a lower pulley only adds boost. When you are adding a lower pulley i.e 2,4 or 6 pnd which are mostly used you can also get an 8 or ten pnd this is typically the amount of boost increase you will gain but i personally would go with a 4 or 6pnd lower also the lower balancer increases in size not decrease, i hope this was a little helpful

siemens03

Established Member
It was helpful. I understnad pulley dynamics but the guy i was talking to was saying if i run just a top pulley it will burn the charger up. I was just wanting to check in with knowledgeable people before i did such. I didnt even think they made anything except larger pulleys for the 03-04. I also read alot of the "Terminator Faqs" but it didnt specify so thanks.

wudy

Established Member
You can run the upper pulley on its own. You do NOT need to run the lower.

Last edited:

VtekII

Established Member
It was helpful. I understnad pulley dynamics but the guy i was talking to was saying if i run just a top pulley it will burn the charger up. I was just wanting to check in with knowledgeable people before i did such. I didnt even think they made anything except larger pulleys for the 03-04. I also read alot of the "Terminator Faqs" but it didnt specify so thanks.

a larger lower pulley will spin everything faster(blower and alternater) making more boost... a smaller supercharger pulley will just spin the blower itsself faster to make more boost. the only problem with the smaller upper is the chance of belt slip. so if you do go for a smaller upper, which i thoght i read that you have a 2.8 already on there(so i woudlnt go any smaller) you should get the aux idler pulley that goes up there to add extra belt wrap.

va boy

Established Member
I previoulsy asked a upper/lower pulley question and the guys advised me to get my blower ported for best results with that mod. I ended up going upper only while I decide to port my Eaton and go lower, or just get a Whipple and be done with it. Good luck with the money pit, they are a freakin blast!

siemens03

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. My car is all stock now but came with the upper pulley. I will be installing a good clutch then the upper pulley programmer and CAI. And ill purchase the idler kit. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread