2003 Cobra KB 2.6 Methanol Injection

ABlownBlueOval

Established Member
Hey guys,

After doing numerous searches I have come up short on (definitive) answers. I am thinking of installing methanol injection in my Cobra. Coming from the Subaru world, Aquamist had/has the nicest, safest kits on the market, which is who I will use unless someone can thoroughly convince me otherwise.

With that said, I'm not a stranger to the beauty of methanol, although it seems that everyone here is focused solely on the cooling principals of meth, and forget about the effective rise in octane it provides. My goal is to inject the meth post-blower, and avoid sending it through the S/C - yes I know it is said that it doesn't degrade the screws, etc etc. I don't want to do it this way, period. I'm looking for input for those who have installed the nozzle(s) after the blower, and how exactly you were able to do it. I see that BBR makes a nitrous plate, but that is only for stock superchargers.

I spoke with Lethal Performance today (after hours), and they said they are running meth post blower on there 2010 GT500. If you guys do read this, maybe you can provide some insight as to how this was accomplished?

For those that are going to suggest other routes on my quest to even more power - thanks but no thanks. In CT, we don't have easy access to E85, otherwise that would be the direction I'd go. Race fuel is great, but expensive so that is out of the question.

Any advice or input that you guys can provide would be appreciated greatly.

Best,

Keith

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Ill be installing an AEM methanol kit tonight. My car based at 467rwhp with a 2.76" pulley, exhaust an intake.

Same mods with a 2.8" pulley and Ill be getting a tune on Friday. Ill post up the difference with and without methanol.

My tuner, Greg at RET told me to install the methanol pre-throttle body and using a RAI will gain the most power.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I have a snow performance kit I haven't installed yet but mine will be pre-blower. I'm just going for the extra protection of the octance boost any cooling would be nice but thats not my main goal. I know one guy who's on here runs his pre blower and couldn't be happier.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Ill be installing an AEM methanol kit tonight. My car based at 467rwhp with a 2.76" pulley, exhaust an intake.

Same mods with a 2.8" pulley and Ill be getting a tune on Friday. Ill post up the difference with and without methanol.

My tuner, Greg at RET told me to install the methanol pre-throttle body and using a RAI will gain the most power.

Sweet ! What are you running for meth? Also get us some logs on iat2

gabe1530

Banned

Good luck Jason. it will be interesting to see some real world data on this.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member

Only thing I didnt like the AEM meth kit is it doesnt have options to replace the lines with steel braided lines. Had a bad experience after 1 WOT pull where a line popped off.. I tested the other lines by tugging on them lightly and they came out also.
Im still researching on replacement steel braided lines.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Sweet ! What are you running for meth? Also get us some logs on iat2

8ezezare.jpg

Thanks Gabe!

Tapped right into my intake
qany5y2u.jpg

As far as all the lines, we got them all on and double checked all the lines to make sure that there secure. Even zip tied them as a precaution.

ABlownBlueOval

Established Member
I've been looking into this as well, but hadn't researched pre/post blower thoroughly

I think this might be what you are looking for? http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/blow-racing-412/788899-methanol-plate-kenne-bell-superchargers.html - Looks like this is for S197 but hopefully it will bring you closer to what you were looking for

Yeah, I called BBR yesterday and they didn't know if this would fit the 03-04 lower intake manifold. I'm considering biting the bullet and buying it. If it doesn't work, I can't see why I couldn't machine/drill it to work with our setups.

Does anybody know right off, how different are the 3V vs 4V intake manifolds? Based on the description from BBR, this is designed to fit under the 2.6/2.8 KB supercharger, but the question that remains is whether it will bolt down to the 4V intake/IC manifold.

On another note - I have a friend who introduced me to emachineshop.com - you can design and machine anything you can possibly imagine. My only worry with doing this is getting my dimensions exactly right - but it is definitely a route I'm going to look into it.

Interesting. I've read there are plenty of people injecting pre-blower, I just don't know if it really is "safe". Maybe I'll call Kenne Bell today and see what they have to say about sending meth through there S/C! :shrug:

Either way - I think we are all interested to see your results so please feel free to post them here when it's done!

I have a snow performance kit I haven't installed yet but mine will be pre-blower. I'm just going for the extra protection of the octance boost any cooling would be nice but thats not my main goal. I know one guy who's on here runs his pre blower and couldn't be happier.

Yeah - I definitely want the extra protection - but I'm also on a quest for more power - keyword here being "safely".

seva5ede.jpg

Flows pretty well with the rest of the lines. Just took my time and knocked it out.

Very clean setup - let us know how it works out!

Ralo

Established Member
From what I've read post blower you will see a octane boost and cooling. The more water in the mix the more of a cooling affect it has. I've got a kit but I'm still not sure if I will run it but if i do it will be pre blower. I'm just wanting to run a little more boost on pump gas.

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Sub'n as I have a new 2.2 and I would like some more octane without the race gas/e85 price :D

laruei

Established Member
From what I have seen most reuse the windshield washer tank and mount the pump close to it on the drivers side...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Trying to spray post blower is a PITA and I don't see the benifit. I spray pre blower and it works fantastic. FYI sprayed water/meth and wet shot of nitrous threw blower with no ill effects. When I went Whipple I called them and asked about spraying through the blower and they said no issues.

I initially used to spray pre throttle body but the one thing I didn't like is after WOT when you let off the throttle it snaps closed much faster than meth can stop spraying so you'd have a little water/meth pool in the intake tube and do it enough times you'll get some leaking out at any joints and dripping on the passenger's valve cover.

Moved my jet to post throttle body but pre blower and it works like a champ. Just remember to run a check valve in this configuration so idle doesn't syphon your meth.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
From what I have seen most reuse the windshield washer tank and mount the pump close to it on the drivers side...

I started out that way. Windshield washer bottle is only a tad over 3 quarts. You really need at least a 2 gallon container. I'm in the process of redoing it in the trunk with either a 2 or 3 gallon container (which ever fits best). I'd blow through the 3 quart thing so fast in an evening of hot rodding you need to pull over and top it up every so often.

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Thats what I was thinking^

Oddly enough today I saw a half moon intercooler tank from lethal's instagram and I was thinking two of those (one for meth) would fit and be perfect for a stealth and clean install in the spare tire well.

Similar to this:

m5lp_1211_6_2011_ford_mustang_gt_alpha_mile_.jpg

Edit: I am so interested in doing this I did more research. Looks like the t-bird guys have been doing it for a while? I wish we had some info on how and how well this worked...

I assume the first edition:
IM000060.jpg

IM000064.jpg

2nd edition?
mach-1-lower-meth-nozzles.jpg

Someone using the BBR kit: http://mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=37144

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread