2003 Cobra IRS to 8.8 Live Axle Swap (DETAILS & PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
bogner46 said:
If I could find a Mach 1 8.8 wouldn't that be the easiest way to get a rearend that will drop in?

Easy, yes.
Strong enough :nono:

It is still a 28 spline Ford traction lok, unwelded axle tubes, Sheetmetal rear cover, stock bushings, stock control arms.....

It would b a good place to start but if you are a CPIE or stronger car expect to damage stuff pretty quick if you use slicks or sticky tires.

300rwhp Mustang GT guys have ripped torque boxes out too.
Dozens of broken Trak-Lok stories at that hp or lower, along with twisted axle tubes and bent axles.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
I know this thread has been up for a while, but I just read it from end to end... Great write-up Man...

This is one reason I can't wait to spend the summer in dearborn... hopefully some of the knowledge from you guys soaks in before I come back to finish my last year of school.

I just sold my IRS, so as soon as I get to MI (next week) I have to drop it out and ship it... I would love to get the cobra up and running again within 2 weeks if money, and part-availability allow.

Lou1

Postban

Thanks for the details of the live axle swap. I'm looking at doing it to my 04. I think the cost you had will be about the same for me. I understand that the major problem with a level 5 half shaft upgrade is the weakness of the CV joint. As a result, I look forward to eliminating wheel hop and the problems that come from too much torque and power on the IRS. Thanks for your posting.
Lou1

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
Just a little note. You can buy a used 8.8 housing from http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/products/list.cfm?TypeID=80 for like $120 i think.

That's hard to believe. Those guys squeeze every last buck they can out of every car...to sell a housing for that would be leaving at least $180 on the table, compared to current market.

I fixed your URL...check near the bottom of the page. They are $50 higher than current market, which seems more like their widely understood business model.

terminutter03

Whipples Shake Nipples!
Established Member
i'm actually doing this swap. i'm kinda scared. but the irs is damaged and this is the best time to do this. anyone else other than postban do this? i want to do alot of freeway runs. and i'm going to be squeezing with a 22 psi KB:)

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
i'm actually doing this swap. i'm kinda scared. but the irs is damaged and this is the best time to do this. anyone else other than postban do this? i want to do alot of freeway runs. and i'm going to be squeezing with a 22 psi KB:)

I did it and love it

seanwr400

Established Member
I had both 8 and 9 inch rears in mine. For track duty thats the way to go. But roll racing or daily driving not so sure I would do it again. You will be giving up either ride or cornering. The IRS does both well......my 2 cents for what it is worth.......

terminutter03

Whipples Shake Nipples!
Established Member
ok, well got the maximum motorsports heavy duty rear end mods like lower hd control arms, hd torque arm, panhard, etc..... looking for an exhaust for this. from recent articles of the swap, i've seen people say go with the mac catback, but i had bassani before. any 2 cents for this? i currently have the bassani x.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
I have the full MAC exhaust (LT's, ProChamber, Catback) and am very happy with it. I had this setup with and without the IRS and really would not change a thing.

terminutter03

Whipples Shake Nipples!
Established Member
i did this shit, and didnt like it.

let me list what i switched to.
superior 31 spine axles
maximum motorsports heavy duty torque arm
mm panhard
mm heavy duty lower control arms
8.8 rear end
3.73 gears
blistein rear shocks
h&r springs for front and back
upr heavy duty rear end cover
custom mac 3" exhaust
cut x-pipe to be extended to fit the claps past the damn torque arm.
i personally think it's a piece of shit.
now i'm thinking of just getting the heavy duty upper control arms.
i hate the ride with the funky ass sond, and i think the wheels i got, 10.5 in the rear are too wide and are rubbing with the panhard on turns.
why do these expensive ass parts compromise the ride of the car.

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member
The member that posted these orginally has sold his Cobra many years ago and I don't think he visits SVTP much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread