2003 Cobra Convertable, 2011 5.0 Convertable

03blackvert

Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra Convertible. My dad just took delivery of a 2011 Mustang 5.0 Convertible. I got to drive it today, briefly. I wanted to offer some thoughts and get some opinions.

In terms of ride quality 7 years make a huge difference. The new convertible is a LOT stiffer, steering more precise, and generally more comfortable. It's not enough to say the 2003 is "bad", but it's enough to say the new car is better. That said, I like the materials (seat and top in particular) on my 2003 better than the 2011.

The clutch on the 2011 is light. Like a feather could operate it. Good if your sitting in traffic, but almost too light for performance driving.

The shift pattern on the 2011 is tight. Like the shifter moves 1/4" for each gear. Again, the 2003 has too much play, but the 2011 is too tight. No winner here.

Neither car feels as fast as it is, somehow ford makes both feel slower from the driver seat. That's probably good.

The 2003 has more down low grunt, the supercharger brings on the power earlier. The 2011 is a rev machine, get it up there and it sings, but at low revs it bogs.

His new tires grip a lot better than my old tires, despite being narrower.

All in all, it's an interesting comparison. For a daily driver, the 2011 is far better. For a weekend fun machine, I think I like my 03 better.

Maybe I need to drive a current Shelby GT. :)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
In terms of ride quality 7 years make a huge difference. The new convertible is a LOT stiffer, steering more precise, and generally more comfortable. It's not enough to say the 2003 is "bad", but it's enough to say the new car is better. That said, I like the materials (seat and top in particular) on my 2003 better than the 2011.

The entire S197 chassis is superior. Hell the vert S197 is probably more rigid than a SN95 coupe with full length subframe connectors.

The clutch on the 2011 is light. Like a feather could operate it. Good if your sitting in traffic, but almost too light for performance driving.

S197's use a hydraulic clutch. Up till then, it was all cable actuated clutches.

The shift pattern on the 2011 is tight. Like the shifter moves 1/4" for each gear. Again, the 2003 has too much play, but the 2011 is too tight. No winner here.

Different tranny's. T56 vs whatever the '11 GT's have. The T56 is just a goddamn heavy ass duty transmission with little to no thought about "smoothness" and "ease of use".

Neither car feels as fast as it is, somehow ford makes both feel slower from the driver seat. That's probably good.

Youre probably just used to it. It happens. I havent been in a 300hp+ car in almost 2yrs now, and daily driving my GST in which sometimes i go "yeah, its pretty quick"; id probably cry like a little girl when i pick up another 03/04.

The 2003 has more down low grunt, the supercharger brings on the power earlier. The 2011 is a rev machine, get it up there and it sings, but at low revs it bogs.

sounds about right.

What tires do you have vs his?

All in all, it's an interesting comparison. For a daily driver, the 2011 is far better. For a weekend fun machine, I think I like my 03 better.

Truedat. Though nothings stopping any 03/04 Cobra from being a perfectly acceptable DD if you dont mind mileage.

Maybe I need to drive a current Shelby GT500. :)

Fixed.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting comparison. I will add one more. I like the body design of the 2003-2004 Cobra much better than the S197. The 2011 GT just looks much bigger and heavier than the Cobra. My '03 Cobra always felt smaller/lighter than it really was. I liked that. And while the interior of the S197 is superior as far as quality and ergonomics, I still prefer the Cobra interior over the '11 GT. We all have our preferences I guess. But the '11 GT is certainly an awesome car!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If it wasn't for the forged internals making the 03-04 Cobra the boosted performer that it is, the comparison would favor the '11. That's just my humble opinion, others will disagree.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

An aftermarket shifter really makes the 03 Cobra shine(as far as shifting goes) I went with MGW and it's almost as good as the shifter in the 02 S2000 I traded in on the Cobra..

get better tires on your Cobra.. :)

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
hmm. haven't seen one yet. let's check it out:

77472d1278562772-2011-gt-convertible-sg-red-interior-img_4952.jpg

nope, don't like it. coupe ftw.

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
An aftermarket shifter really makes the 03 Cobra shine(as far as shifting goes) I went with MGW and it's almost as good as the shifter in the 02 S2000 I traded in on the Cobra..

get better tires on your Cobra.. :)

Your S2000 must've had an aftermarket shifter that made the throws abnormally long then. My dad has a 2000 s2k and I just sold my Cobra w/ an mgw shifter that even with the mgw it had probably 4-5x longer throws. Stock 03 Cobra shifters are garbage, throw an aftermarket shifter on there and it turns into marginally decent.

SpectorV

Established Member
if a 2011 wasnt better quality than an 03 cobra we are in major trouble. The only issue here is price vs what you get~ thats the only place you can argue other than power gained per dollar spent ~ or looks which is subjective. Its all about price vs gain

Users who are viewing this thread