2003 2004 cobra question

Dfresh15

Banned
I've had a 93' Foxbody for 13 years and just sold it yesterday. It was a great car but it was time for a change and I wanted something different. I've always loved the 03-04 Terminator Cobra's so now I'm starting to research about these cars and looking to buy one. SOOO my question to you all is which Cobra do you recommend and why? 2003 or 2004? Known issues for these Cars? If you have time I would also like to know the problems these cars typically have and what problems should I be looking for when purchasing one. I'm a noob when it comes to these cars but I want one really bad and just want some info on them. Thanks alot to whomever helps me out with some info.

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I personally feel it all depends on what kind of deal you can get....are you looking for something on the stock side, mild add ons or perhaps something with big hp!! Color also factors in...

Best to search and take your time....you may want to start your search right here on svtp in The Market!

cj428mach

Established Member
04s have the dark interior option and 9 thread spark plug heads other than that they re the same.

If you find two equal quality cars but one is an 03 and the other is an 04 take the 04 but dont sweat owning an 03.

hotcobra03

Established Member
There are some tiny differences ..

lock cylinder. .black/chrome

cargo net..03 yes 04 no

different mid pipe

radio

issues..

drivers head
tob
rear end leak
ic pump
alt
Mirrors shake

than alot of parts are discontinued

MattG04

Established Member
No problem with my drivers side head yet, new cometics,trick flow bolts,lethal head cooling mod,reische 170*, knock on wood 163,000 on the clock and daily driven and sometimes kinda hard oh it's a 04

Dfresh15

Banned
So what's this "Head Tick Issue" I keep hearing about? Is the 03' more Prone than the 04' ?? OR it doesn't matter what year? I'm not looking to have some crazy HP car.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
04s have the dark interior option and 9 thread spark plug heads other than that they re the same.

If you find two equal quality cars but one is an 03 and the other is an 04 take the 04 but dont sweat owning an 03.

And some 04's still have 4 thread spark plug holes. I thought the switch was on the later 04 models?

Op congrats on looking for a cobra! I love foxbodys and sold mine after 10 years of owning it. I originally was looking for a 04, but found exactly what I wanted and it happened to be a 03.

Dfresh15

Banned
I think I also read where the 03's Drivers side cylinder head doesn't allow coolant to flow thru (aka - tick cause). The 04's supposively don't have that problem. Should I be scared of that or just install that kit Lethal makes that will allow for flow? Not trying to ask a million questions but this is my first day of actually looking into these cars.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
The improved heads did not come out until 05.all 03/04 can get the tick. I never got it & have the LCD cooling mod

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Can't get sonic blue in 04!

That why I ended up with an 03! Good luck with your search man. Just be very picky and get what you want the first time.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I've owned an 03 and 04. Both were basically stock minus exhaust. Never had issues with either one. Both were great cars.

dbrennancobra

Established Member
I had a 93 as well.. It was a svt cobra. But I recommend getting an 04. Mystichrome or comp orange! There is a nice one for sale shawncourt is selling! CO verT! Very rare and low miles!

Greenwood1982

Established Member
For what reasons do you recommend the 2004 Cobra? Just curious

Dear Op,

Alot of the guys on here have posted some inks for you to check out. I would recommend you do some reading before you decide to purchase anything. As far as the head knock on the 03's, It was only for a short period of time that this was an issue (from what I read). Not sure what months right off hand, but it wasn't the entire assembly line from 03.

In my opinion I decided to go with an 04 rather than an 03 for a couple of reasons, I wanted an comp. orange or a black one and were offered in 04. The black was offered in 03 as well, but I felt more comfortable bypassing any issues I could potentially have with an 03 by purchasing an 04 instead. I also preferred the dark interior suede.

The color may vary depending on the year so, that also may be a deciding factor for you. Decide on a specific color and go from. Some of these links will list what months were notorious for the head knock in 03 if that is something that concerns you.

Either way both years had some bad ass colors and both are awesome cars.

I hope this helps and good luck

Mike

Dfresh15

Banned
Ok Thank You
Dear Op,

Alot of the guys on here have posted some inks for you to check out. I would recommend you do some reading before you decide to purchase anything. As far as the head knock on the 03's, It was only for a short period of time that this was an issue (from what I read). Not sure what months right off hand, but it wasn't the entire assembly line from 03.

In my opinion I decided to go with an 04 rather than an 03 for a couple of reasons, I wanted an comp. orange or a black one and were offered in 04. The black was offered in 03 as well, but I felt more comfortable bypassing any issues I could potentially have with an 03 by purchasing an 04 instead. I also preferred the dark interior suede.

The color may vary depending on the year so, that also may be a deciding factor for you. Decide on a specific color and go from. Some of these links will list what months were notorious for the head knock in 03 if that is something that concerns you.

Either way both years had some bad ass colors and both are awesome cars.

I hope this helps and good luck

Mike

Greenwood1982

Established Member
For what reasons do you recommend the 2004 Cobra? Just curious

OP, btw,

It took me over a year to find what I was looking for. I had an 08 Bullitt that I had purchased brand new and didn't sell it till about 3 months prior to purchasing my Cobra. I had started looking way before I started to sell. You on the other hand have cash in your pocket and no worries of selling a car since you already have. It may seem like forever, but you will find the right car. If you have any doubts it's because it isn't the right car. I was interested in three cars before I purchased the one I own now. I am glad I was patient.

There are still quite a few that have pretty low mileage on them, some are even for sale right now in the market section. Let us know what you decide on.

Mike

Moose04

Established Member
I prefer the 2004 Cobra, because its the year they had the color Screaming Yellow. It is also rumored that the 04 had 20hp more than the 03 because a revised midpipe. A common problem with the Cobra is the oil filter adapter gasket leaking. I already had to replace mine. It's kinda a pain, cause you have to drain the oil and coolant to replace it. It's not to bad, just time consuming. I also had to replace my steering rack, also at the same time, because it was leaking. I was lucky to come up on mine, because where I'm from you rarely see Terminators. It was also the color I wanted with very low miles. I've only had mine around 4 months and man this car is fun. Trust me, you will never regret getting a 03 or 04 Cobra!

Users who are viewing this thread