2003-2004 Cobra engine rebuilt kit?

Arch-enemy

Established Member
I'm fairly new to the terminator scene. I Bought her around 4 years ago. And I love everything about the car. Even the plastic interior lol.

Anyway I recently spun a bearing and I need to rebuild the motor, but I have no idea where to start, what to look for. Nothing!

So I need some assistance, on what route I should take.

Routes im considering.

Just rebuild the motor back to it stock From but upgrade all the weak points of the motor. (Which I'll need some assistance with because I don't know what parts of the motor are weak)

Route number 2
Fully built motor. I have no idea where to look for the parts, I figure I would have to get this custom done. Please tell me im wrong

If you have any input on which route I should take. I'm open to all input.

Thank in advance

Here are some pictures or the crank it ate into

Attachments

• 20230815_124029.jpg
    20230815_124029.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 20230815_123825.jpg
    20230815_123825.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20230815_124129_01.jpg
    IMG_20230815_124129_01.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You might be able to find a replacement crank in the used market. I've never seen a rebuild kit like what you can order for the push rod engines. But a place Mod Max would be good for you I think. As long as the rod didn't get over heated you should be good on the rods. I'd bump the compression with pistons and get the heads freshed up and you'll be good to go.

If it were me.....I'd get a stroker rotating assembly. But then I'm a fan of displacement. Get the heads freshened up. Maybe some light port work if the budget allows. Bump the compression 9-9.5. Unless you're on E85 full time. Then 10-10.5. Replace the chain guides, pick up the kit that flips the passenger secondary tensioner from Cobra Engineering, and degree the cams. Then throw some boost at it and have fun.

Arch-enemy

Established Member
You might be able to find a replacement crank in the used market. I've never seen a rebuild kit like what you can order for the push rod engines. But a place Mod Max would be good for you I think. As long as the rod didn't get over heated you should be good on the rods. I'd bump the compression with pistons and get the heads freshed up and you'll be good to go.

If it were me.....I'd get a stroker rotating assembly. But then I'm a fan of displacement. Get the heads freshened up. Maybe some light port work if the budget allows. Bump the compression 9-9.5. Unless you're on E85 full time. Then 10-10.5. Replace the chain guides, pick up the kit that flips the passenger secondary tensioner from Cobra Engineering, and degree the cams. Then throw some boost at it and have fun.
Eventually my goal is to get the car to 600hp to the wheels. Right now I still have the Eaton super charger with a meco pulley set, and a super charger pulley.

So the best route to go is more compression with less boost?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Eventually my goal is to get the car to 600hp to the wheels. Right now I still have the Eaton super charger with a meco pulley set, and a super charger pulley.

So the best route to go is more compression with less boost?
600w is weak sauce and stock compression will get you there.

Seriously, if 600w is your goal, do a stock rebuilt and don’t waste money on the extras that 01Yeller is laying out.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Seriously, if 600w is your goal, do a stock rebuilt and don’t waste money on the extras that 01Yeller is laying out.
This. 600 is easy with a 2.3 blower and 93 octane. You can do it on 91, but I think it's getting close to the limit of the fuel. My buddy was 590 with his 2.3 Whipple.

robvas

Established Member
Seems like a rebuild would be one thing after another and cost $20,000 real quick if it got out of hand.

Bump up the compression
Have the heads ported, valve job etc
Camshafts
Stroker kit
Big bore block or Teksid block
Sleeved aluminum stroker?

Do one? Do all?

Arch-enemy

Established Member

Well I don't want to be weak sauce!!! Now I want 750w.

But in all seriousness short term goal I want to hit 600w. I just want the motor to be ok for 7,8,9w later in life!

Arch-enemy

Established Member
Seems like a rebuild would be one thing after another and cost $20,000 real quick if it got out of hand.

Bump up the compression
Have the heads ported, valve job etc
Camshafts
Stroker kit
Big bore block or Teksid block
Sleeved aluminum stroker?

Do one? Do all?
So what you stated is a cheaper option?

03' White Snake

Established Member
That's awesome so waround what hp numbers should I have to worry about having engine problems?
Stock engines can take 800-1000 hp with head studs no problem. All matters on fuel and power adder.

I’m making 829 on 22 psi, stock rods, custom pistons 0.020” over. My buddy did a Mod Max short block, had his heads redone at modular head shop…. Put down 849 24 psi. Both are on E85 for reference. Both just over 10 CR. Tuner swears 9.5 is the best CR for these motors.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm in the 700's with a completely stock long block on E85. Pump gas puts me around 600.

What's the budget here? That's the real question.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Budget dictates the rebuild here IMO. If the rods are okay you can have them tapped for ARP2000 studs to save money but it is marginal.
Oil pump can be made billet, timing chain components can be changed to keep the guides from locking if you used a 2-step, launch control, etc.

It really comes down to what you want to spend.
If you are tearing the block down looking into getting an aluminum block is always and option.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03' White Snake

Established Member
Like others are saying, Can be a 4-5k rebuild or 12k rebuild real quick. Can buy a short block for 4-5k then 2-3k to have the heads redone. Add cams and it’s another 3k. Then comes all the hardware, gaskets, timing components, etc. It’s all about your budget.

My engine was over 10k in 2018 with cams, no head work as I already had it done before. Had the stock block machined and short block assembled. My buddies was around 12-13k. It was 6k for head work alone with cams. Upgraded 4-9 thread heads, new guides, valves etc. He did a mod max short block.

Arch-enemy

Established Member
03' White snake said

Like others are saying, Can be a 4-5k rebuild or 12k rebuild real quick. Can buy a short block for 4-5k then 2-3k to have the heads redone. Add cams and it’s another 3k. Then comes all the hardware, gaskets, timing components, etc. It’s all about your budget.

My engine was over 10k in 2018 with cams, no head work as I already had it done before. Had the stock block machined and short block assembled. My buddies was around 12-13k. It was 6k for head work alone with cams. Upgraded 4-9 thread heads, new guides, valves etc. He did a mod max short block.

Also where can I find these parts

What I'm willing to spend is
Minimum 6k
Maximum 10k
New goal is 800wrhp, I would prefer not to spend 10k to get there lol. I would like to keep the original block. Is 9:5 CR the best ratio for these motors?

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
That crankshaft is easily repaired by a competent crank shop. They will weld and grind it .010" so you will use oversize bearings. You will also be able to reuse your rods. The block I would recommend doing a minimal overbore to make the cylinders true and do a custom sized piston. 9.5 compression is fine for pump gas. Do ARP 2000 head studs and new OEM ford chains and guides. This same type of rebuild has been done thousands of times, easy peasy!

Here is a Cobra crank I had fixed a couple years ago

1VlSGBel.jpg

Attachments

• 1VlSGBe.jpg
    1VlSGBe.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 62

Arch-enemy

Established Member
That crankshaft is easily repaired by a competent crank shop. They will weld and grind it .010" so you will use oversize bearings. You will also be able to reuse your rods. The block I would recommend doing a minimal overbore to make the cylinders true and do a custom sized piston. 9.5 compression is fine for pump gas. Do ARP 2000 head studs and new OEM ford chains and guides. This same type of rebuild has been done thousands of times, easy peasy!

Here is a Cobra crank I had fixed a couple years ago

1VlSGBel.jpg
I think I'm going to go that route. I need to find one in Los Angeles

Users who are viewing this thread