2002 Saleen Sc281

pbm.cc

Established Member
I recently bought a 2002 Saleen SC281, what good insight can you tell me on these cars? I noticed it has lowering springs, shocks and sturts, bigger sway bar in the front the SALEEN 13" brakes, borla cat back, the Supercharger and all the goodies inside as well as out I am missing the seats and the extreme package but I actually like the car the way it sits.

Are the internals forged? what is the most you can boost the S/C to? I think my boost gauge is messed up... it reads 7-8psi even when its off, but when I get on it it reads 15psi! I noticed that the intercooler in the bumper has fans... I dont think that they are coming on! when I drive the car I have seen the temp of the intercooler go as high as 180 degrees. where is the relays for those and has anyone had this problem before? could it be a fuse? I noticed that in the rear I have no big stabilizing bar nor bigger brakes? my gear ratio is 3.27... is that correct? shouldnt it be 3.55?

What would be the best mod to the car? I already put a MAC o/r xpipe and it sounds alot better with the Borla's. I noticed that it has like the sc281e intake tube ITS HUGE! but I dont think its pullied. It has a strut brace and caster camber plates (I think STEEDA'S). It has a B&M shifter and I guess that's it.

Last question... what would this car dyno stock?

here is a pic that I took last night of the engine bay with my phone:

PIC-0023.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey bro your best best is to post this on stangnet.com under the Saleen section. they know damn near everything about the car!! Also you can call saleen and request the break down of your car based off the VIN..

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
The engine is pretty much a standard GT engine with an Eaton M90 blower.. 15psi from a stock setup is kinda pushing it, I would bet that your gauge is off 7-8psi at wot at 5000ish rpms would be more realistic.

The pulley on your blower looks stock, one good mod would be to basically spin the blower faster, either by putting a smaller supercharger pulley, a larger crankshaft pulley or a combination of both. I know that the M90's can't be spun too fast without loosing power. You said that it doesn't look like it has pulleys on it, if you decide to change them keep in mind standard overdrive pulleys on a supercharged car will lower boost, so the idea is to spin the supercharger as fast as possible to the point that it looses efficiency.

Check out http://bluegt.com/.. its a website that a guy made of his car that shows how his car has changed over time including a saleen series 2 blower..

I would say that 310-330ish rwhp is probably what you'll see out of the stock supercharger. If you are looking for higher numbers an aftermarket supercharger of almost any type will take you to 380-400rhwp at 10-12psi. You could run 450ish with a little headwork and cams, but the standard max for a stock bottom end 2v 4.6 is around 450rwhp. After that you're looking at a complete engine build, and an entirely new fuel system.

You might add "water wetter'' to your heat exchanger system to try and cool things down a bit, make sure the fans eventually do come on too, if not they need to. Heat will be one of your biggest problems with the eaton and overdriving it so keeping things cool will be important.

Last edited:

pbm.cc

Established Member
The engine is pretty much a standard GT engine with an Eaton M90 blower.. 15psi from a stock setup is kinda pushing it, I would bet that your gauge is off 7-8psi at wot at 5000ish rpms would be more realistic.

The pulley on your blower looks stock, one good mod would be to basically spin the blower faster, either by putting a smaller supercharger pulley, a larger crankshaft pulley or a combination of both. I know that the M90's can't be spun too fast without loosing power. You said that it doesn't look like it has pulleys on it, if you decide to change them keep in mind standard overdrive pulleys on a supercharged car will lower boost, so the idea is to spin the supercharger as fast as possible to the point that it looses efficiency.

Check out http://bluegt.com/.. its a website that a guy made of his car that shows how his car has changed over time including a saleen series 2 blower..

I would say that 310-330ish rwhp is probably what you'll see out of the stock supercharger. If you are looking for higher numbers an aftermarket supercharger of almost any type will take you to 380-400rhwp at 10-12psi. You could run 450ish with a little headwork and cams, but the standard max for a stock bottom end 2v 4.6 is around 450rwhp. After that you're looking at a complete engine build, and an entirely new fuel system.

You might add "water wetter'' to your heat exchanger system to try and cool things down a bit, make sure the fans eventually do come on too, if not they need to. Heat will be one of your biggest problems with the eaton and overdriving it so keeping things cool will be important.

Yeah, I have been doing home work on the car since I got it and found out a few things on it.

It is a M90 blower, and one main problem is the intercooler is too small and hot air is going around the intercooler not thru it. I found that CHICANE makes a better design intercooler that they claims gives our cars an 45rwhp increase!
Here is a link to the intercooler:
http://www.chicanesport.com/products/detail/Default.aspx?id=11

also I plan on ordering a 66mm blower pulley from them as well:
http://www.chicanesport.com/products/detail/Default.aspx?id=10

I have been reading and came to find out that another problem besides the heat soak is that the intake from the TB to the intake is very limited and restricted. I found that Tork Teck has a new intake that will work on the M90.

Here check it out, I plan on buying from the Mass air meter to the charger including the oval throttle body:
http://www.torktech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6

then I found a guy that make the MOSALEEN idlers that wrap the blower belt most of the way around the pulley creating minimal slippage and an additional pound of boost.

The next step is to buy Shorties (as in a 3year future I plan on building or buying a 4v forged motor with a 2.6L KB with LT's) and have some cams installed. The only problem is that I have no resources as to any guys that have seen good results from cams on a s/c 2v. If I can find some good forced induction cams then im set.

I think that the 380-400rwhp with the M90 is possible. And since the car came with it I will try it out. I will not go with another centrifigual s/c again... either Twin Screw or turbo/s if I have to change my power adder. However I dont see myself spending too much to get to that RWHP range. So I will aim for it and keep you guys updated.

pbm.cc

Established Member
ps: apperantly the car dynoed at 300rwhp, so says the last owner. I will try to get a base run.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
IMO shorties are a waste. If you're planning a twin screw you might as well stay 2V, unless you really want to go big and get a Whipple 3.4L.

pbm.cc

Established Member
IMO shorties are a waste. If you're planning a twin screw you might as well stay 2V, unless you really want to go big and get a Whipple 3.4L.

on your sig, the gt is still a 2v? and how much was the KB 2.6H? I might just do that and stay 2v, I just need a shortblock and cams plus ofcourse the KB.

I am trying to price out everything to make the S2 blower perform better and trying to see how much the KB 2.6H will cost. If I am going to spend close to 3k in the S2 I porbably wont do anything to it and just save up and buy the KB2.6H and eventually buy the shortblock so I wont go kaboom!

The goal is 500-550rwhp so any insight on how to achive that from the 2.6H would be appreciated.

thanks.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
I have your 66mm pulley for you. I have no use for it. Gimme $55 and it's yours. I have a red anodized 2.8 on a ported and chromed by stiege m90.

I also have ordered the TT inlet (custom chromed of course) with their gigantinormous tb. Should be here this week or early next. Also you can just seal up your stock intercooler if you dont feel like spending 700 on the spearco (chicane) unit. There are massive gaps as they come stock. Also get an upgraded heat exchanger.

The actual intake manifold is the greatest restriction on these kits. If you can port the hell out of it the gains would be very noticeable. One guy did acid porting which looks like a pita but it gave him big results. I am going to need to pickup the mosaleen idler as i heard it works like a charm. Heat is not your friend with these things.

oneqkgt

Established Member
the saleen blower even the m90 rocks for what it is. PUlley, focus, fuel pump and lightning 90mm maf 42's and a tune will go a long way. Its funny years ago everyone snarled at the roots and twin screw blowers now everyone wants them especially for 05 up cars. A lightning guy Brian K had jdm do a mustang gt not sure what year maybe a 02 or something that car was a automatic with the m90 but it had long tubes and i saw it go 12.1 at like 110 roughly. I was so impressed i bought a saleen blower but i got the s4 the twin screw i put it on my gt 5spd added the pulley and the maf and fuel upgrades and put it on my dyno and tuned so safe mid 11 af and 14deg of spark and it went 11.9 at 114mph. Then 11.9 at 116mph with 17deg of spark. this was with stock gt exhaust except high flow bassani cat x pipe. On my dyno jet i show about 380to the wheels. this year im going to get that intercooler upgrade. if you go to youtube search tims saleen mustang. its in gt form now its a full clone.

pbm.cc

Established Member
I have your 66mm pulley for you. I have no use for it. Gimme $55 and it's yours. I have a red anodized 2.8 on a ported and chromed by stiege m90.

I also have ordered the TT inlet (custom chromed of course) with their gigantinormous tb. Should be here this week or early next. Also you can just seal up your stock intercooler if you dont feel like spending 700 on the spearco (chicane) unit. There are massive gaps as they come stock. Also get an upgraded heat exchanger.

The actual intake manifold is the greatest restriction on these kits. If you can port the hell out of it the gains would be very noticeable. One guy did acid porting which looks like a pita but it gave him big results. I am going to need to pickup the mosaleen idler as i heard it works like a charm. Heat is not your friend with these things.

I'll take that pulley of your hands... do you take paypal or how will you want the $?

shot me a pm.

thanks for the info you guys, I have been looking into the cheapest way to benefit out of what I have and make a decent amount of power and this is my mod list and cost idea at the moment:

2002 SALEEN MOD LIST

1. MOSALEEN idler
$160.00

2. CHICANE PULLEY 66MM
$96.00

3. CHICANE INTERCOOLER
$800.00

4. TORK TECH INTAKE
$1000.00
inlet plenum + TB + gasket + and egr adapter.
tel:513-697-0060 (sales)

5. ANDERSON CAMS
$629.00
part# F-42
2s412/98

S/C 8-13 lb. 4.6 Best performer up to 6200 rpm. Nice idle, good driveability down to 1800 rpm, performance range 2400-6200 rpm. Recommend AFM valve spring kit but stock valve springs will work. Works best with 80mm mass air, 70mm throttle body and TFS or Dragon Plenum. Headers and ported P.I. heads are suggested.
Gears 3.27 to 4.10. With automatic transmisison needs 2800-3000 converter.

***TOTAL=$2,685.00

-------------------------------------------
these are the other routes:

TORK TECH S/C KIT

http://www.torktech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

STANDARD Magnuson M112 Positive Displacement Supercharger with self contained synthetic lubrication
STANDARD 8 Rib Supercharger Drive System with Independent Crank Pulley allowing capability to run larger Crank Pulleys for More Boost
STANDARD items that come in our Complete kit:
Cold air intake system
90mm Mass Airflow Meter
Huge oval throttle body (63mm X 130mm)
Heavy duty air to water intercooler system with massive 3"x7.25"x27" front mounted heat exchanger
42-pound fuel injectors
High volume fuel pump
SCT Chip with custom tune
Aerodynamically designed intake plenum
Aluminum lower intake manifold with remote coolant thermostat
All hardware, brackets, hoses, and installation instructions
Available extended length hood scoop allows room for uncompromised intake manifold design and good looks. **
The standard items above provide maximum safe allowable stock engine power and allow for significant future power improvements.
Installation is straight-forward and can be completed by any do-it-yourselfers with basic hand tools in about 6 to 8 hours.
Easy, low cost upgrades available to allow for significantly higher boost and power levels when the time comes. Requires only: a built engine, larger crank pulley, low cost fuel delivery upgrade option from TTI and new custom tune.
UPGRADEABLE to the Magnuson 1900 TVS blower for only $999 for power levels in excess of 600 HP!
One year warranty!
** Note: For clearance the stock hood needs to be modified and TTI offers an optional extended stealth hood scoop to externally hide these changes. An aftermarket raised Cobra R type hood, or equivalent design, will also provide proper clearance

***TOTAL=$4,299.99
--------------------------
12:55 PM 5/20/2008
KENNE BELL 2.6L
** TS1000-99-BK KIT 120
$5499.00

9-25 PSI KIT W/AC ('99 UP 4.6 MUSTANG 2V) INTERCOOLED INCLUDES: BOOST-A-PUMP, COBRA BIG DUAL TB ("TUNER KIT") 2.6L
Note: ("Tuner Kit") Requires Cobra R type hood for supercharger clearance.
(Injectors, belt, chip and 8 rib system not included. See Tech Tips for required accessories not included in kit)

***TOTAL=$5,499.00

Last edited:
i have a Roush stage 3 classic it came with the Roushcharger (m90) all i had done is a 2.65" blower pulley, cold air kit, o/r x, Borla catback, tune and i made 420/415 @ the wheels i just put long tubes fells better but not sure where its @ hope its in the 440 rwhp range but you can make almost 500 rwhp with that blower cams and head work of course you need a built block.

pbm.cc

Established Member
i have a Roush stage 3 classic it came with the Roushcharger (m90) all i had done is a 2.65" blower pulley, cold air kit, o/r x, Borla catback, tune and i made 420/415 @ the wheels i just put long tubes fells better but not sure where its @ hope its in the 440 rwhp range but you can make almost 500 rwhp with that blower cams and head work of course you need a built block.

So then why are people making such weak numbers from the Saleen SeriesII blower (M90)? is the inlet intake and lower intake different in the Roush than the Saleen? Cause from what I have been reading that is alot better than the Saleen's!

here is a link as to what I am reading on:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=742550

If there is a difference in the lower intakes between the Roush and the Saleen it sounds like I should be investing in the Roush intake... of course if the blower's are the same. Also is the 2.65" pulley the same as the 66mm from Chicane? and where are you buying parts for your blower setup?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member

thats the most horsepower i've ever seen out of a m90, thats more horsepower than most 2v's will make with a procharger or KB.. with a 2.65" pulley is that right at 12psi or so? a stage 3 roush was rated at 360hp, 420rwhp would be right at 490-500 crank horsepower. thats a 135hp gain...

I'd say as twinscrew said with that power you should be trapping 120 or more and running deep 11's if it hooks

Last edited:
the Roushcharger is diff than the Saleen blower and, no the stage 3 for that year was rated @ 380. i cant get my car to hook i've been to the track twice but need tires the best i have gotten out of it is a 12.91 with a 2.8 60ft i know its good for some 11 sec passes with the right tires and, yes i have seen a couple other cars with about the same power levels as mine just have a good tuner

the Roushcharger is ported and i think the heat exchanger comes off the 03/04 cobras i know the Saleens have a 6 rib belt and the Roush cars have an 8 rib they also have the cobra fuel system including tank

thats the most horsepower i've ever seen out of a m90, thats more horsepower than most 2v's will make with a procharger or KB.. with a 2.65" pulley is that right at 12psi or so? a stage 3 roush was rated at 360hp, 420rwhp would be right at 490-500 crank horsepower. thats a 135hp gain...

I'd say as twinscrew said with that power you should be trapping 120 or more and running deep 11's if it hooks

my friend Tim has a 2002 Saleen with a KB 1.8 and he made 420/470 thats why i didnt go that route cause it didnt make any sense, BTW KB does not offer that kit anymore

Users who are viewing this thread