2001 Lightning New Owner Questions

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
2001 Lightning New Owner Questions - Updated with DTC questions!

I just purchased a '01 L with 79k miles, and a few mods:

4# Lower pulley (MotoBlue brand) Is Motoblue any good or should i swap it out?
Longtubes (unknown mfg), Bassani cat-back
Cal-Tracs
Air-raid cai w/k&n

Due to the truck having a 4# lower, what additional supporting mods should i consider? I will assume a Tune and maybe some TR-6s?

Is there a way to tell if the truck has a tune on it? I have an SCT Xcal I was using on my Cobra, but I'm not sure if the tunes that come on there would be any good considering the mods.

The truck has the mods i would do, aside from a 4x4 trans pan and valvebody (loved my FTVB in my '93) I'm just gonna drive it.

Ill get pics up after i have a chance to clean it, as it rained yesterday.

Thanks for the help!

UPDATE:
I ran my Xcal2 on the truck and the following DTCs were found:

P0127 Intk arr temp too hi
P0234 ENG OVER Boost Cond

Also i read the strategy, and it said MNAE0Y5. I don't know if this is helpful or not.

I am going to assume the truck has no tune on it from the DTCs, but any additional info or suggestions on a way to be sure are welcome.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I wouldn't do the 4x4 pan if you are lowered or plan to be. With the mods you posted I would hope there is already a tune installed. Not sure that your can tell you the last time written, but that's where I'd start. Motoblue crank pulley is fine. A good wideband would be a smart investment

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
If the truck didn't come with a handheld check for a chip. The tune on your xcal for the stang will not work. A 4x4 pan will be fine IF you don't slam it to the ground.

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
If I did lower it it would just be to level it out so im not concerned with that.

I checked for a chip and there is not one.

I know the tune on my xcal for the mustang wont work. I was just wanting to know if I could get a mail order tune or perhaps a local one using my xcal. It would appear that my course of action is to get a wideband o2, datalog, and get it tuned to be on the safe side.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Have it tuned on the rollers to make sure everything is in line.

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
I ran my Xcal2 on the truck and the following DTCs were found:

P0127 Intk arr temp too hi
P0234 ENG OVER Boost Cond

Also i read the strategy, and it said MNAE0Y5. I don't know if this is helpful or not.

I am going to assume the truck has no tune on it from the DTCs, but any additional info or suggestions on a way to be sure are welcome.

Thanks

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
These codes have not triggered a CEL either. I understand what the codes mean I was hoping for clarification on whether or not you can tell from the codes if the truck is tuned.

I am getting a wideband kit, and doing spark plugs this weekend.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the first code I check to see if the air temp sensor fell out of the intake tube

id get a good email tune from a reputable lightning tuner...Im sure there are plenty of people that can make respectable dyno numbers but most dont do the trans tuning and ramped in timing needed to make these trucks 60' and et

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
The upstream IAT sensor is inserted in the box where the cold air intake is housed. It is an AiRaid brand, I didnt install it so that IAT may be in the wrong place. The code refers to the second IAT that is in the lower intake and I believe is triggered by a large difference between the 2 iat's.

I was planning on doing the fuel filter as well.

I am also going to change the intercooler fluid and clean out the pump, and also change the supercharger oil.

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
I have been super busy between getting all the maintenance up to date on the truck and my new job. I finally got the truck cleaned up, but didn't have a chance to go out and take some pics in the light so i snapped this one real quick.

20141020_185523_zps172ba90a.jpg

cajunator3

Established Member
Congrats man, i see you have my two wants in your garage lol, Cobra and Lightning. I finaly picked up a lightning, working on a cobra. even if i won the lottery i would just get one of each SVT out there and be happy. O and by the way, i know a guy locally that used to work for SVT when they where creating/updating the lightnings and he says bassani and SVT where basicaly made for one another he recommended that i upgrade to them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread