2001 gt to 4v swap

disturbdgt

Established Member
Ok so a little background on the car. Started with a 2001 gt with Magnaflow Magnapack catback, VRS catted x-pipe, BBK Long Tube Headers, Professional Products Intake Plenum & 75mm TB, 4:10s, SCT SF3 Power Flash canned tune, drop in K&N air filter, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro-kit and upper and lower control arms. One day driving home from work, i noticed some studdering and backfiring sounds. So I pulled over and checked things out. Found out that the passenger side #2 spark plug had came loose, so i tightened it back up and started the car. Again same problem, so i got back under the hood and noticed that the #3 spark plug had blown out of the head and striped the threads on the way out. So i towed the car home and started thinking. I was deciding on whether to helocoil or not (but then heard that the helocoil doesent hold up that well). So then I was thinking to just replace the head and put it all back together. But then I just said forget everything and why not just pull the motor out and go 4v. So I went up north and picked up a Mark VIII motor (full long block) from a guy. The block had already been machined and honed and already torn apart. So I went to the parts store and bought oem everthing (gaskets, piston rings, bearings the whole nine yards). Then I started aquiring all the necessary parts for the 4v. I picked up another set of b-heads with cobra cams, cobra upper and lower manifold, imrc deletes, bassani mids and x-pipe, 4v cops, mach 1 fuel rail, 24# injectors. Got my trans rebuilt with upgraded internals, picked up an exedy 400 clutch, ford throw-out and pilot bearing, firewall adjuster, maximum motorsports clutch cable, etc.

The car has been down since march this year, im really ready to get this thing back on the road. Only reason its been this long is because of having to collect all the parts and funds. So far it has been a real good learning experience and fun at the same time. Im almost done with the swap, only thing im waiting on now is my cop style valve covers ( i accidently purchased non cop style ones and didnt realize this till last week). The motor has actually been done and put back together since june and just got the trans back last week. Hopefully should have everything back in the car by next week, only get a couple days off.

I will upload pics of my swap and progression soon.

disturbdgt

Established Member
As she sat
PICT0228.jpg

Pulling the ole 2v
2012-04-28121309.jpg

2012-04-28121317.jpg

Parts gallore
2012-04-20194125.jpg

2012-04-20194115.jpg

2012-07-24175953.jpg

motor progress
2012-04-20194053.jpg

2012-04-20194041.jpg

2012-04-29143558.jpg

2012-07-24180141.jpg

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
What I did was getting an alternator repair harness for the Lincoln from the dealer and then splice it in my harness. Works like a charm. If I remember correctly, it looks like the one you are holding. By the way there are two threads that are very useful when doing this swap. These guys have done it and they were very helpful to me. Here are their threads:
Infamous Lincoln Mark VIII engine swap thread.
00 GT SOHC to DOHC swap... (Using a 97 Mark VIII Engine) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

disturbdgt

Established Member
What I did was getting an alternator repair harness for the Lincoln from the dealer and then splice it in my harness. Works like a charm. If I remember correctly, it looks like the one you are holding. By the way there are two threads that are very useful when doing this swap. These guys have done it and they were very helpful to me. Here are their threads:
Infamous Lincoln Mark VIII engine swap thread.
00 GT SOHC to DOHC swap... (Using a 97 Mark VIII Engine) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Thanks a lot, and yeah those threads have helped me out a lot during my swap

disturbdgt

Established Member
well, since im off this week and the weather was clear today, i got a little progress done. I got the motor moved from the shed and to the car (about 100 feet of grass and dirt) had to push the engine and stand out the shed and use plywood to move it across the grass (but only had 2 pieces, so had to keep moving one and pushing the stand) then rolled the trans over to the car. Got the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate all installed. Installed the trans to motor, and passenger side header reinstalled. Tomorrow I should be able to install the driverside header and install motor and trans in the car. Will post pics up later, if not tomorrow, and keep everyone updated

CobRoush-00

Established Member
well, since im off this week and the weather was clear today, i got a little progress done. I got the motor moved from the shed and to the car (about 100 feet of grass and dirt) had to push the engine and stand out the shed and use plywood to move it across the grass (but only had 2 pieces, so had to keep moving one and pushing the stand) then rolled the trans over to the car. Got the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate all installed. Installed the trans to motor, and passenger side header reinstalled. Tomorrow I should be able to install the driverside header and install motor and trans in the car. Will post pics up later, if not tomorrow, and keep everyone updated

Very well. A little bit at a time and you will be done soon. Keep us posted.

disturbdgt

Established Member
well today got some more accomplished. was able to install the motor and trans in the car with the mids attached. it took a couple trial and errors but i finally got it in. had to cut down both coolant pipes on the back of the motor to make everything fit properly. was able to bolt the motor mounts to the k member and put the trans crossmember on along with the steering shaft. hopefully tomorrow i should be able to get all the wiring accomplished and coil wires extended and polarity reversed and rewire the alt harness, and install upper and lower intake along with fuel rail, injectors, and coolant lines. hopefully should be done with the install and have it started by sunday.

2012-08-09161641.jpg

2012-08-09161649.jpg

2012-08-09161631.jpg

2012-08-09161709.jpg

2012-08-09185959.jpg

2012-08-09185945.jpg

disturbdgt

Established Member
well got a little more done today in betwen the rain. got the driver side cop wire extended and taped up, and got all but one cop plug extended on the passenger side (ran out of wire) also noticed that the IAC that came with the motor when i got it must've came off an earlier mark viii because the connector is very different from the other IAC that i seen on the motor at the local junk yard and my gt one and even noticed that the valve was stuck, so i went to the parts store and ordered a new IAC. so hopefully the weather is nice tomorrow I should get all the wiring done and some other things done.

2012-08-11125731.jpg

2012-08-11125740.jpg

disturbdgt

Established Member
well time for an update, still havent been able to get the car to start yet. found out that the fuel rail wasnt allowing the injectors to set properly into the intake. fuel was leaking out of the rail on one side. so i ordered the mmr 98 4v fuel rail set up and got that in the mail last week. im hoping once i get the new rail installed in the car, that it will finally start. so far all its been doing is just cranking and not starting. pretty sure with the fuel leaking out of the rail couldve been my problem, but we shall see. I'm just ready to get this thing back on the road.
heres a couple pics of the rail.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

disturbdgt

Established Member
well got the fuel rail installed today, and went to start it and it still just cranks over. so i took out all COPS and checked that they were working and all were firing. So im getting fuel and spark just no start. Im really thinking that the timing is probably off. Also when i drained out my oil, there was a gas smell to it

Last edited:

disturbdgt

Established Member
Does anyone have any suggestions? could it possibly be that the timing is probably off? I started to take the valve covers off yesterday and had the crank at TDC and was able to get the passenger cover off with ease but the driver side is a pain. i noticed that when i took the passenger side cover off that the cam gear was at the 11 o'clock position, which I thought thats where its supposed to be. could someone please help me with this situation.

coposrv

Established Member
How did you time the cams? If you just used the timing marks it should be able to fire no problem. Did you use COPS for a 4v? Are you running the 2v computer?

Users who are viewing this thread