2001 Cobra will not start

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I usually use the search engine but it does not seem to be working. :shrug:

I am having issues with my '01. In the past few days I noticed the car would need a few cranks to start up in the morning. I live in Cali so not very cold. :banana:

This morning the car would not start. I check fuel rail and there is fuel present in the rails. The motor cranks but will not start.

No CEL light on. The good thing I am at home, the past few days have been a struggle to crank in the morning and today, she gave out!

Any ideas? Much thanks in advance.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Battery or Starter maybe, start easy and work your way up. It almost sounds like the batter is done. Maybe the alternator went bad and killed the battery?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Battery or Starter maybe, start easy and work your way up. It almost sounds like the batter is done. Maybe the alternator went bad and killed the battery?

Oh really! It cranks, however, the batter lights does flash. I am going to test both the starter and battery.

Thanks bud!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I always think battery until proven otherwise. A weak battery will allow the car to run but not start.

Push start it and see what happens...Stick right?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Hey Guys, thanks again for the help!

Quick question! I am now having problems with cold start up's. It usually take a few cranks to start her up. Here is the deal, I have to press on the gas pedal for it to start.

I cleaned the IAC with some cleaner and inside the TB. Could this be something else?

The car cranks up fine the rest of the day after starting in the morning.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You said you have fuel at the rails, but do you know how much pressure? The fuel pump might be getting weak. And with it getting colder (for Cali) it might affect the pump at the first start up. Once it's warmed up it's ok. Is the car tuned or still stock? Mine is tuned and since we've been having colder mornings it acts up a little until it warms up.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
You said you have fuel at the rails, but do you know how much pressure? The fuel pump might be getting weak. And with it getting colder (for Cali) it might affect the pump at the first start up. Once it's warmed up it's ok. Is the car tuned or still stock? Mine is tuned and since we've been having colder mornings it acts up a little until it warms up.

Car is stock. Ironically, I am trying to start her up now but no dice. Yes, it is getting real cold now in Cali. Thanks for the heads up! What type of pumps are affordable and reliable?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Do you guys think I should check the starter? Then work my way to the fuel pump and what not.

I just recenty bought a Die Hard Platinum battery.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it was the starter then your engine wouldn't crank. Or it would still crank slowly. Even with the new battery. I'd get a pressure gauge and see how much fuel pressure you have. When was the last time it had a tune up? Plugs, filter, clean the MAF...etc.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
If it was the starter then your engine wouldn't crank. Or it would still crank slowly. Even with the new battery. I'd get a pressure gauge and see how much fuel pressure you have. When was the last time it had a tune up? Plugs, filter, clean the MAF...etc.

I bought the car in 2 years ago and have done regular 5k oil changes mobil 1, fuel filter, K&N filter. However, I have not done the spark plugs.

I turn the key a few seconds, check the fuel rail and fuel did squirt out.

I will clean the MAF now. Will it be ok to use throttle body cleaner?

COBRABRAD

Established Member
When my fuel pump went it would work most of the time with occasional problems with no start. I would replace it, if that's not the problem it's living on borrowed time anyway.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bought the car in 2 years ago and have done regular 5k oil changes mobil 1, fuel filter, K&N filter. However, I have not done the spark plugs.

I turn the key a few seconds, check the fuel rail and fuel did squirt out.

I will clean the MAF now. Will it be ok to use throttle body cleaner?

The fuel will still shoot out under pressure even if it's only at 10psi. That's why I said you should get a gauge on there. A neighbor of mine had a V6 that would stutter and die randomly until it just wouldn't start. I threw a new fuel pump and it's been running like a champ.

I use the CRC electrical contact cleaner on my MAF. I never tried throttle body cleaner.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys!!

Update:

I cleaned the snorkel air intake and cleaned the MAF. However, I noticed the Air Temperature Sensor was extremely dirty. I got some alcohol and a q-tip, wiped it softy. Dried it with some computer spray cleaner. I noticed the MAF sensor not dirty at all so I did not mess with it. Put it all back together and she fired up! Could it have been the Air Temp Sensor? The weather has also gotten warmer as it is now noon, could this have had any impact on the fuel pump. Just curious if I have a fuel pump about to go out.

Is it true that the car will idle abnormal until the PCM reads the cleaned air temp sensor?

Thanks again for the help!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Like slo mentioned, you need to check the pressure at the rail. I would bet you either have a dying fuel pump and/or a clogged fuel filter.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Like slo mentioned, you need to check the pressure at the rail. I would bet you either have a dying fuel pump and/or a clogged fuel filter.

I changed the fuel filter about 4k miles ago. The car starts up now after cleaning the Air Temp Sensor.

Could I still have a dying fuel pump and still have the car start?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member

@BreBar21 & slo984now

Thanks for your help! Ironically, the car did start up at first crank this morning. I cleaned the IAT sensor with alcohol and voila, she started. There was black soot on the sensor. I researched the IAT sensor and turns out if the sensor does not work properly in cold weather it will not read the air/fuel mixture correctly. I also read that this sensor activates an injector to start the engine in cold weather. Go figure!

I guess I shouldn't get to optimisitic as my fuel pump is still going out, right? :??:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread