2001 Cobra vs Newer Model Hemi

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
First let me start by saying I am a novice to the street racing world. Back in my college days when I was home for the weekend I would hang out with some guys that raced on a regular basis and I would head out with them on Saturday nights. But I was just a spectator.

Bought a 92 LX out of college, did a few things to it and raced it maybe a couple of times before marriage, family etc got in the way and I moved on from the car.

Bought a 2001 cobra a few months back. From what I can tell it has 3.90 gears, Bassani H-Pipe and Bassani Cat Backs. Other that that, I have no idea if anything else was done to the engine. Nothing obvious anyway.

Yesterday afternoon I was running some errands with the wife. A blue Challenger pulled up beside me. My wife, being completely ignorant to the racing world said he kept looking over at me. Light turned green and he didn't immediately get on it but after a slow roll through the intersection it was on. Basically got well into second gear and I was probably a car length ahead of him before letting off. He drove by, smiled and got in the turn lane at the next light.

Question is, with the mods I mentioned does that seem reasonable? Could he just be horrible at driving or maybe did not make a real effort?

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
First let me start by saying I am a novice to the street racing world. Back in my college days when I was home for the weekend I would hang out with some guys that raced on a regular basis and I would head out with them on Saturday nights. But I was just a spectator.

Bought a 92 LX out of college, did a few things to it and raced it maybe a couple of times before marriage, family etc got in the way and I moved on from the car.

Bought a 2001 cobra a few months back. From what I can tell it has 3.90 gears, Bassani H-Pipe and Bassani Cat Backs. Other that that, I have no idea if anything else was done to the engine. Nothing obvious anyway.

Yesterday afternoon I was running some errands with the wife. A blue Challenger pulled up beside me. My wife, being completely ignorant to the racing world said he kept looking over at me. Light turned green and he didn't immediately get on it but after a slow roll through the intersection it was on. Basically got well into second gear and I was probably a car length ahead of him before letting off. He drove by, smiled and got in the turn lane at the next light.

Question is, with the mods I mentioned does that seem reasonable? Could he just be horrible at driving or maybe did not make a real effort?

Did you run an r/t or srt8? The new 392s move out pretty good.

My brother raced a 392 against his older h/c/I 6.1 charger and it was a drivers race. Traction issues on his part, they were both running high 12s

Last edited:

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
that sounds about right for an r/t. now some of the mopar guys on here think those cars are like 12 sec cars no matter who drives them and almost 11 sec in the srt8s but good work

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member
An rt chally can be a high12s low 13s with bolt ons but only with a A5 auto. They run ok but the srt8 model is what moves out. Low 12s stock from a 392 hemi.

Users who are viewing this thread