2001 cobra vs 1998 Nissan Silvia S14-Turbo

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
01 Cobra(vert) = Magnaflow catback, Steeda underdrive pullies, X pipe. Had a diablosport chip but I took it off. Last dyno was 310/303 but that was w the chip.

98 Silvia = turbo set up, lots of goodies, lighter seats, no front bumper as its getting fiberglassed. Says he's making 230-250ish

How will the race go? It's happening later today. Cant guarantee video as we have no SD card with us for the GoPro

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
01 Cobra(vert) = Magnaflow catback, Steeda underdrive pullies, X pipe. Had a diablosport chip but I took it off. Last dyno was 310/303 but that was w the chip.

98 Silvia = turbo set up, lots of goodies, lighter seats, no front bumper as its getting fiberglassed. Says he's making 230-250ish

How will the race go? It's happening later today. Cant guarantee video as we have no SD card with us for the GoPro

1. the race is later
2. you know you aren't ready to record it even though you have a camera
3. you won't get an SD card so you will be ready

therefore, I predict you will lose

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
A turbo setup with "lots of goodies" should be a LOT more than 230-240 rwhp. Sounds like a small turbo on low boost with no other bolt-ons. Sylvia's over here are one of the most popular cars to modify and they are cheap as hell to make sick power..... I'd be careful. But if he really is only 240 you should take him.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

1. the race is later
2. you know you aren't ready to record it even though you have a camera
3. you won't get an SD card so you will be ready

therefore, I predict you will lose

1. i was going to have my other co worker record it. The car Im racing is a co-worker.
2. i am working, was going to happen on break.
3. Okay.

A turbo setup with "lots of goodies" should be a LOT more than 230-240 rwhp. Sounds like a small turbo on low boost with no other bolt-ons. Sylvia's over here are one of the most popular cars to modify and they are cheap as hell to make sick power..... I'd be careful. But if he really is only 240 you should take him.

Well when i say goodies i mean like suspension work etc. I honestly dont know what he has other than he says he has a T3/T4 turbo and is making 230-240ish on the KA. i dont believe him as the car feels quite fast, but I dont know whether thats because its so light or because its a different pull than my Cobra.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
310whp on the cobra? What kind of dyno? It's always fun to race, but I predict you'll see tail lights depending on the type of race, traction, etc.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

310whp on the cobra? What kind of dyno? It's always fun to race, but I predict you'll see tail lights depending on the type of race, traction, etc.

Im not certain was done by previous owner. Full mods on car are the Magnaflow catback/xpipe, u/d pullies, K&N intake. (had a Diablosportchip which i will probably put back on there later today as well)

I dont think the race is going to happen he says his clutch is slipping. Whatever i told him ill probably lose anyway but he still is saying no. Seems to me like he wants to wait so that theres no video of it if he loses. And as far as type of race i wanted a 2nd gear 40-45 ish roll

ctgreddy

Established Member
why'd you take the chip out? I'm guessing you'll have a 30-40hp advantage without the chip, if he's at the power he claims. that said, it should be close. I dunno about the weight of those but i'm just guessing at 2800-3k, your car i'm assuming is around 33-3400. so should be pretty close if my guesses are correct lol

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

why'd you take the chip out? I'm guessing you'll have a 30-40hp advantage without the chip, if he's at the power he claims. that said, it should be close. I dunno about the weight of those but i'm just guessing at 2800-3k, your car i'm assuming is around 33-3400. so should be pretty close if my guesses are correct lol

Youre saying dont put the chip in? And i had taken it out because I had to replace some bearings and clean up the crank a bit. My reasoning was that maybe the chip was the culprit? As far as a too aggressive tune or something? I could be wrong in assuming it was the chip. Hes probably around 3k-3,100 Id assume and Im around 3500k

n97240

Established Member
My '97 240 with a 61mm built ka-t weighed 3180 with me in it, small stereo and full tank. It put down 504whp and 430tq at 20lbs on pump gas and took a pretty serious street car to keep up with it. Stock bottom end KA's can easily reach 400whp with a good tune.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Youre saying dont put the chip in? And i had taken it out because I had to replace some bearings and clean up the crank a bit. My reasoning was that maybe the chip was the culprit? As far as a too aggressive tune or something? I could be wrong in assuming it was the chip. Hes probably around 3k-3,100 Id assume and Im around 3500k

He's probably 2800-2900 at the max. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pretty light car. Don't get me wrong though, I want the cobra to win. I've seen some ka motors make decent power though. Not all of them, but some of them.

^^previous poster beat me to it.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
I know he bought a blow off valve and different wastegate for his car. But beyone that I dont know jack about it. i guess ill just have to see when he wants to go through with it and let the cars do the talking.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
1. i was going to have my other co worker record it. The car Im racing is a co-worker.
2. i am working, was going to happen on break.
3. Okay.

Well when i say goodies i mean like suspension work etc. I honestly dont know what he has other than he says he has a T3/T4 turbo and is making 230-240ish on the KA. i dont believe him as the car feels quite fast, but I dont know whether thats because its so light or because its a different pull than my Cobra.

More than likely it's because it's a different kind of pull than your Cobra. I've owned an S13 240 with an SR20DET in it and a 99 Cobra. The Cobra's torque makes it feel violent and fast. On the other hand a small motor with a turbo such as the SR20 and KA has a totally different feel. It pulls hard once you get into boost but there's no snap like the cobra when you punch it. I know what you mean though by thinking his car is fast. I rode in my buddies 05 GT and thought his car was faster than my 240 but he said the exact opposite after he rode in my car. Anyways good luck on the race.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

I have an awesome idea, why don't you go race and find out

I will dont worry :beer:

More than likely it's because it's a different kind of pull than your Cobra. I've owned an S13 240 with an SR20DET in it and a 99 Cobra. The Cobra's torque makes it feel violent and fast. On the other hand a small motor with a turbo such as the SR20 and KA has a totally different feel. It pulls hard once you get into boost but there's no snap like the cobra when you punch it. I know what you mean though by thinking his car is fast. I rode in my buddies 05 GT and thought his car was faster than my 240 but he said the exact opposite after he rode in my car. Anyways good luck on the race.

Idk he's been in my car and doesnt think it feels very fast. So either he's packing more HP that he's saying or he's full of shit.

PS what do you guys think about putting the Diablosport chip back on the car? It obviously had a tune on it so Im making less power with it off right?

dumbstixlars

Established Member
PS what do you guys think about putting the Diablosport chip back on the car? It obviously had a tune on it so Im making less power with it off right?

I would, the timing would have to be advanced enough to cause it to knock all the time (which you should be able to hear) to hammer the bearings enough to need replacement. I would blame the U/D pulleys before I'd blame the chip.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'd put the chip back in. if it was the chip doing it I could see too much detonation and then burning pistons, but not messing up bearings.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
Most generic tunes that come on a chip are more conservative so I don't think that putting it back in will hurt anything.

Users who are viewing this thread